Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Windermere Fells

Windermere

in the county of Cumbria

Bay at New Polzeath in early evening. Walk left on Beach for just yards to Polzeath.

New Polzeath

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

East Coast Floods

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 03:07 on 9th November 2007

Hi, Well what a fun evening I have had, living as I do in Great Yarmouth. tonight there are 8 severe flood warnings in place in my area due to the tidal surge in the north sea that you will no doubt be aware of if you have seen any news today.

On top of this there is a strong north west wind which will make the forecast high tides even worse. My home is (Hopefully) fairly safe, but some people I know will probably have some problems. I have spent some time this evening moving some items upstairs just in case the worst happens though. I have been out and about and the rivers are spilling over in a few places and the next high tide (Friday morning) is expected to be much higher than tonights was.

Its all happening here, extra police, people from the enviroment agency have all descended on the town, and everyone is out filling sandbags even as i write this, and it 3am! all we can do know is hope it won't be as bad as the forecasters are predicting. 

What an interesting time for this weather thread to have started though! 

I will let you all know how this progresses, Hopefully it well pass without to much trouble (Fingers crossed). 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 09:25 on 9th November 2007
Hi Ian. Been watching it on the news, scarey stuff. I hope it doesn't get too bad and that your home and yourself remain safe. Also I think Brian Arlow is from Lowestoft, good luck to you both and anyone else from that region. Stay safe.
Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 11:44 on 9th November 2007

Hi, well the morning high tide has passed and although some flooding occured it was not as bad as feared. Tonight's tide will also be high so its not finished yet, but hopefully the worst is over.

I have been out getting some pictures and will upload some of them shortly.

Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 13:52 on 9th November 2007

Here are a few pictures of the flooding in Great Yarmouth on 9th November 2007

River Bure Flood

River Yare Flood

And finally compare the next two pictures to see how high the tide was:

Normal : Pier

09 November 2007:  Pier

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 19:54 on 9th November 2007

Hi Ian

Thanks for putting some pics up so quickly for us all to see and compare. I bet we were one of the first websites to show some! Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as first predicted, although obviously it was bad enough judging by your pics and what we've seen on the news.

Jacqueline Bradshaw
Jacqueline Bradshaw
quotePosted at 10:51 on 11th December 2008
hi all have just joined,was interested in all your talk about weather,gt yarmouth floods and earthquakes.i have not been to great yarmouth for 30 years ,must have changed alot,was nice to see photos.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:26 on 11th December 2008
Welcome to POE and the forum Jacqueline. Lots of good people here and a great site to satisfy your England hunger for ages! Have you introduced yourself in 'User Introductions' yet? Why not do so and then wait for a great welcome from the members?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:55 on 8th October 2009
Has anything been done to prevent this happening again Ian? I think I heard that this area is likely to be hit hard in the event the increase in sea level actually happens, is that your understanding?
Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 00:21 on 9th October 2009

I am afraid the answer is NO! nothing seems to have been done apart from lots of talking.

In fact there has been talk of some coastal areas outside  of the town being pretty much abandonded and allowed to flood or fall into the sea in future.

This is not the case for the town of course, but there seems to be no definite plans as to how the town is to be defended.

Althouth the town is very flat, I live very much in the centre and probably the safest part of town, so I could well find myself living on a very tiny island at some point in the future! A bit worrying really.

I am sure we will find ourselves in the same position as two years ago again before anything is done, and its coming to the dangerous time of year again so watch this space (sandbags on standby).Frown

Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 08:15 on 9th October 2009
I hope everything goes ok for you Ian.  These floods seem to be getting worse every year.