Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tram, Seaton, Devon.

Seaton

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

Bishop's Waltham Palace Ruins

Bishop's Waltham

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Fog

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 17:54 on 8th January 2009
On 8th January 2009 10:09, Andy Edwards wrote:

The worst thing about fog is the dissorientation.  

Of all the weather conditions this country throws at us, fog is the one thing I dislike driving in.

I couldn't agree with you more, Andy.  This is not England of course, but even here we have some crazy fog days. One of the worse fog incidents I can remember was in Los Angeles of all places.  It was early morning one winter (or such as they get there, lol),  and a fog bank rolled in unexpectedly. It was so bad that it was literally impossible to see your hand in front of your face.  

Anyway, most people were still at home getting ready to leave for work, and the highways were fairly clear, except for one lone police officer who was on his motorcycle driving home from his shift.  God bless him, it wasn't his lucky day. It just so happens that as the fog bank rolled in, an earthquake hit at the same time.  Well, unbeknownst to the poor officer, the bridge ahead of him had collapsed and he drove right off it and was killed. They say that if it hadn't been for the fog he would have seen it before he got there.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 20:59 on 8th January 2009
That's terrible Diana! Saying that though, there have been plenty of awful road accidents in the UK because of the fog, many have lost their lives as a direct result of it.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 22:14 on 8th January 2009
Usualy through driving too fast Andy. When the weather comes down, so does my speed, but you still see idiots flying past at 70 MPH.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:09 on 9th January 2009

It's true Peter.  It's that way no matter what. They tell us all the time, that when there is inclement weather, SLOW down. But do people listen? Nope.  I've been in so many near accidents due to people flying past me because they didn't like the fact that I had slowed down to a safer driving speed.Yell

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:56 on 10th January 2009

We don't get much fog here, so when we do, I love it.  As for the dangerous driving conditions it creates, the only thing that we have that compares are our summer dust storms.  They just roll in like a huge wave, and have been responsible for some wicked car pileups.  One time here, we were driving home during a hailstorm and we missed the turnoff to our street because we coudn't see it.  It was as though someone had thrown a white sheet across our windshield. And there were 2 feet tall piles of hail in the yard when it was over, along with a lot of that sandy coating they put on asphalt roof shingles.  Needless to say, we had to replace our roof.  But insurance paid.

John Joerg
John Joerg
quotePosted at 12:23 on 10th January 2009
The one thing that got me by surprise while I was in the UK was freezing fog, only had it once   It was the most unlikely thing I have ever been party to.  We had a couple of days of it, I guess it was around 1989 I was living  in Huntingdon, Cambs.  It put a layer of ice on everything!  Any exposed surface had it. I never saw Ice form on the inside/underside of a fender (wing?) well on a car that hadn't moved.  My roommate and I were totally amazed.
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 13:28 on 10th January 2009

Ever heard of a 'Brocken spectre'???   they appear on mountains usually. In the fog, when the sun is trying to break through. This isn't my shot, but imagine seeing this on a mountain in the fog!!!!!Surprised

Edited by: Jason Twist at:10th January 2009 17:01
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:11 on 10th January 2009
Wow!!! That is amazing!!! 
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 17:31 on 10th January 2009
What a picture Jason. It looks like the Savior appearing. Wow!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 18:56 on 10th January 2009
Amazing isn't it!!  To be honest i've not seen one, well i have but not that clear!!  they are just your own reflection, but I reckon a little spooky if you was on the hills alone and saw it!!! Smile