Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Birling Gap and the Seven Sisters, East Sussex.

Birling Gap

in the county of East Sussex

St Katherines Chapel, Lydiate.

Lydiate

in the county of Merseyside

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What's your weather like today?....3

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 01:13 on 14th January 2010

I've been listening all week to countless bus cancellations or restricted services being operated locally in West Berkshire, and this AM was no exception with the buses not leaving the depot this morning at all.  In the 19 years I drove buses around here, never were they ever cancelled due to bad weather of any sort--snow,ice, floods, hurricanes, you name it, the buses always went out regardless.

One snowy morning, drove to Marlborough along snow covered roads all the way. Got to Marlborough and was the only bus there instead of many operators that time of day. Then trundled back over the same roads. Probably explains when i handed in my notice in 2006, my manager couldn't care less as his thank you for what you'd done for 19 years keeping his services going. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 09:39 on 14th January 2010
It's raining here in Wheatley, Oxford and the snow has got it's marching orders at last....yippeeeee!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 03:51 on 16th January 2010

That's what they call the January thaw over here, Ron.  Hopefully it'll last til spring.  Snow's only good in December.

As for the beautiful desert southwest, the last 3 days were sunny and in the low 70's F., with just enough cloud for some very dramatic sunrises and sunsets. But as of Monday, El Niño is finally kicking in.  The storms are lined up across the Pacific and the jet stream is dipping far enough south that we should have rain all week.  Yes!!!  I hope it continues for the next six weeks.  We need it desperately.

Sue H
Sue H
Posted at 14:47 on 16th January 2010
We are getting those same storms, Ruth. Three big ones are on there way in, bringing more snow, which, hopefully will load the mountains and leave us alone in the valleys.
James Prescott
James Prescott
Posted at 13:34 on 17th January 2010

its a lot milder up here now all the snow has gone and for the first time in a month i have been able to clean the car which i usually do every sunday and as a bonus the bins have been emptied 7-30 this morning. 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 20:29 on 17th January 2010

If you clean your car every Sunday, George (James?), no wonder you get so much rain in England.  lol  Over here we say, if you want it to rain, wash your car.

It's 1:30 PM on Sunday and it's 70°F, with just the odd high cloud.  Since we're expecting rain all this week (I washed my car last weekend, lol) I'd best get Denzil out of the house for a little hike today.

James Prescott
James Prescott
Posted at 20:36 on 17th January 2010
dont like seeing a dirty car ruth its a thing i have always done and old habits are hard to break,after ive done the mrs comes out and does the inside which dont need doing.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 20:39 on 17th January 2010
The inside of my car always needs doing, George, because it's usually so dusty here (I'm in Arizona). 
James Prescott
James Prescott
Posted at 20:45 on 17th January 2010
ive never been the states may be one day i will make it.                          my wife went to new york 4 yrs ago and really enjoyed it.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 20:50 on 17th January 2010

Yes, I must say, it's pretty nice here.  Arizona is a beautiful state.  I've not been to New York in ages, but I grew up about 2 hours from there.  I would love to see Lancashire one day.  My husband and I are hooked on the British Isles as a vacation destination.

Getting back to weather, we are gearing up for a series of storms that will come in from the Pacific beginning tomorrow.  By Thursday or Friday, all those storms will have worked their way east, which means New York will most likely get hammered with more snow by next weekend.