Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Winter sunset

Beeston

in the county of Nottinghamshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

30th November 2010 - Roads Closed, Rail and Flights Cancelled, Schools Closed!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:10 on 30th November 2010

Wow, beautiful England has been hit hard, and we don't know how to deal with what is effectively widespread disruption. One motoring organization reckons they are taking over 2000 calls an hour!

And there is more snow to come apparently!!

How do our friends across the pond cope, any help at all pleeeese? Lol

Edited by: Ron Brind at:30th November 2010 22:13
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 17:42 on 30th November 2010

I am really surprised of the amount of snow you guys are getting!!  And it's been for days too, hasn't it!?

How to cope...hmm...lots of food, drink and hopefully the cable and/or internet does not go out! Or the power for that matter!!!! 

How much snow have you gotten in your area Ron?  

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 17:42 on 30th November 2010

Sounds like the winter weather in our neck of the woods (Michigan). We're usually fine until the snowfall reaches above six or seven inches, then the major shutdowns commence, but generally due more to high winds and drifting than snow volume. Of course we're fairly used to snow in quanitity.

I'll tell you, Ron, the best thing to do is brew up a nice cuppa, sit back and enjoy the beauty of the snow--that's what I do . . . of course, not until I'm done roaring around my driveway with the snowblower! And you could always organize a neighborhood snowball fight!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:03 on 30th November 2010

Hi Krissy and Rob.

Lots of drink, food, more drink, and more drink! Yeah, that sounds okay Krissy.

As for how much snow we have here. Specifically in Oxford City we have had nothing to speak of, but it's all around us. The real problem is that the family needs help one way or another, you know Anna's Dad to hospital, collect his clothes that he forgot, kids to Uni etc, the traffic to contend with.

I'm sure you all know how it is but we always do whatever we can.

Snowblowers Rob? That sounds like fun!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:07 on 30th November 2010

We grin and bare it.

Schools can't close for a bit of snow, or else the kids would have half the winter term off.

We pay tax dollars so that the good men and women who work for the City, can go out with the snow shovel trucks and gritting trucks (which is usually all in one), keeping at least our more travelled roads clear. 

Some neighbourhoods have folks who own little ride on snow shovels, and you'll see them out in the neighbourhood helping out.

We all shovel snow, and hopefully are aware of any neighbours in need.

We have an honor camp close by (a low security prison) and they bus the boys in and make them shovel walks (paths), and also old folks driveways.

The roads can be scary, but if you have to go out, you really have to be careful.

There, you asked.  

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:27 on 3rd December 2010

Dont dare bare anything here at the moment, Sue, keeping it warm lol!

As for paying taxes, our  Public services are being cut to the bone, our councils expect us to volunteer and not get paid to do the job we pay them to do lol. However, Brits have always tended to help each other when the going gets tough so no problem there, the problem is when those at the top start helping themselves. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:24 on 3rd December 2010

anyone remember the days when everywhere was froze up and you had to still go to school and do your lessons with your coats and gloves on ---and you had to play out at playtime not stay inside.                       i was fortunate i only lived 5 minutes away and my g/mother would bring a flask of tea for me and a couple of mates to keep warm.

when i went to the senior school it was 3 miles away and no transport we all set out sometimes in 2ft of snow -i dont think they would do it now.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:34 on 3rd December 2010

Those were the days James! 

I can't recall the schools closing because of snow and many were the times I walked to school with snow over my wellies, jumped on the heating pipes in the cloakroom (as soon as we were allowed inside) and got a good set of chilblains!

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:40 on 3rd December 2010
do you remember having a sleep at school   -iyou must do.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:44 on 3rd December 2010

I love the snow. I'm sorry England is having such a hard time now!! I still can't wrap my head around just how much and how long it's been snowing!!!!

I'm sure we'll be getting some soon and I'll be moaning about shoveling my car out! LOL!