Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Sheerness, on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

For The Genealogists In The Group - New Article

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 15:50 on 20th August 2008

Cheri Thomas has kindly added the following article to the site which contains some highly interesting and useful information, especially for those researching their ancestry in England. Many thanks Cheri!

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/article/1047

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Annette Alexander
Annette Alexander
quotePosted at 21:12 on 1st September 2008
hi looking for mumfords with an eaton, england connection.  my great-grandmother, eliza mumford,  was supposedly born there  august, 1846.i haven't been able to find her birth record in devon or cornwall.  i'm wondering if she came from another county that has a city or village called eaton, or eaton has or is close to a port she may have immigrated from  to the U S. her parents were john and mary mumford.  there is a family story that she was a lady-in-waiting at some point in her life.  to whom i do not know.  at one time, whereever  she was living, she is supposed to have heard bells.    i don't know if they were church bells or bells telling when she was supposed to work.  my mother says she was told the bells were from BIG BEN, but that would put her in london.  i found an old colored print.  it shows a building(castle?) with a round tower as part of  the building, and it looks as if it is made of red sandstone.the building looks like it is on a hill overlooking a river or a bay.  there are flowers planted on either side,  they may have been in a garden.    i think the print was from the 1840s to the 1870s.  im wondering if it would be in the same county that would have an eaton.  what makes it hard to find out information about her when she was younger is that there are so many counties that have an eaton in the name of the city. i will try to find the print and see if i can post it
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:27 on 1st September 2008
She couldn't have heard the bells of Big Ben prior to 31 May, 1859 as that was the day they (5) first rang.  Several counties have a town called Eaton, and not far from Big Ben in Belgravia, a few street names are Eaton related too, one of which was popularised in the TV series, Upstairs, Downstairs. Will check the census's if they might find her location.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:04 on 1st September 2008
This is probably the wrong thread, but while we're here----the 1851 and 1861 Census's don't show any Eliza Mumford living at/born in any Eaton related town name. Her father John on the 1841 Census also doesn't appear connected with any Eaton related town.Will have to try another strategy, as the 1851 Census should have picked them all up somewhere in England.
Peter Smith
Peter Smith
quotePosted at 23:09 on 16th September 2008
On 1st September 2008 21:12, annette alexander wrote:
hi looking for mumfords with an eaton, england connection.  my great-grandmother, eliza mumford,  was supposedly born there  august, 1846.i haven't been able to find her birth record in devon or cornwall.  i'm wondering if she came from another county that has a city or village called eaton, or eaton has or is close to a port she may have immigrated from  to the U S. her parents were john and mary mumford.  there is a family story that she was a lady-in-waiting at some point in her life.  to whom i do not know.  at one time, whereever  she was living, she is supposed to have heard bells.    i don't know if they were church bells or bells telling when she was supposed to work.  my mother says she was told the bells were from BIG BEN, but that would put her in london.  i found an old colored print.  it shows a building(castle?) with a round tower as part of  the building, and it looks as if it is made of red sandstone.the building looks like it is on a hill overlooking a river or a bay.  there are flowers planted on either side,  they may have been in a garden.    i think the print was from the 1840s to the 1870s.  im wondering if it would be in the same county that would have an eaton.  what makes it hard to find out information about her when she was younger is that there are so many counties that have an eaton in the name of the city. i will try to find the print and see if i can post it

Hi Annette,

If you check out the following website - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ you will find 4 references to Eliza Mumford registered in 1846:

March 1846 - St. George, Southwark. and another at Bishop Stortforth.

September 1846 - Brentford.

December 1846 - Bethnal Green.

The area names are registration districts for births, marriages and deaths and one of them may well contain an area called 'Eaton'.

Happy hunting

Peter

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:22 on 3rd October 2008
When I caught a glimpse of the avatar above, I thought it was Peter Evans....not sure, I think he's got a bit more colour in his face don't you think members? Have you been on the sun-bed Peter?
Margaret Cole
Margaret Cole
quotePosted at 13:39 on 10th January 2009
It is so nice to see some interest in family trees on this site,I have been searching my family for 30 years,but if anyone needs any help I will certainly do my best. Margaret
Lisa Neace
Lisa Neace
quotePosted at 12:39 on 26th May 2009
Yes, I supposedly have ancestors from different parts of England, I am looking for any information on the Neaces or Bryans, such as Henry Neace or Mary Bryan. I am from kentucky, USA.
Lisa Neace
Lisa Neace
quotePosted at 19:22 on 26th May 2009
Does anyone have any information on Alfred Duke or Alfred Ernest b.1844 d.1900
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:46 on 27th May 2009
Hi Lisa, welcome to the POE website and forum from Anna and Ron. Why not introduce yourself in the 'User Introductions' where I am sure you will get the usual great response from the members in welcoming you to the site, and in fact your questions likely answered. Afraid Anna and I can't help with this one.