Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Eskdale view

Boot

a Picturesque Village in the county of Cumbria

End of Ramsgate Harbour Pier

Ramsgate

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Bainbridges of Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Diana Bainbridge
Diana Bainbridge
quotePosted at 18:52 on 4th October 2009

Researching Bainbridge Family from KS, Cumbria pre 1870s; Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:35 on 4th October 2009
Hi  Diana---there's several Bainbridge Family members in the Kirkby Stephen area----then Westmorland; now Cumbria-- in the 1800s onwards. Any of them in particular to work back from? Not looking for any that emmigrated to Queensland by any chance?

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:4th October 2009 21:49
Diana Bainbridge
Diana Bainbridge
quotePosted at 12:09 on 6th October 2009

Dear Paul,

Here are the details of the family, this is as much as I have to go on:

this is from an email from a researcher in England.

10 Years later in the 1871 Census, we find the family living at Quarry House Cottage, Northowram, Yorkshire.  In 1871, there is another Daughter, Martha, born in 1864.  Jane and John were both working in the Worsted Mills of Yorkshire the details of Williams

Family are recorded as follows: -

1871 RG10/ 4428 Folio 28 Page 4
BAINBRIDGE
William      head   m               42  
Coachman & Domestic servant                     Yorkshire Kirkby Stephen (b.1829)
Elizabeth    wife    m               32   
Wife                                                                       Yorkshire Swinton (b. 1839)
Jane              dau                       13  
Winder at *Worsted Manufactory               Forest Moor, Yorkshire (b.1858)
John             son                       11  
Bobbin Setter at    *as above                                Forest Moor, Yorkshire (b. 1860)
Martha        dau                         
Scholar                                                                    Yorkshire Manningham, Bradford (b.1864)

(italics mine)

Jane and Martha  migrated to Australia along with John...

When they arrived in Qld, John settled in Rockhampton then they seemed to move to Longreach where John William married Catherine Spellman - one of their sons Walter Frederick is my gfather.

Cheers Diana

Sherry Fritzsche
Sherry Fritzsche
quotePosted at 22:26 on 14th June 2015
Hi Diana, I am also hunting down Bainbridge, seems to be many, you have more info. than I do, but I'm planning to ask my aunt if she has some dates, my grandmother's maiden name was Bainbridge, I can go back 2 generations after her, the last one is Jacob Bainbridge, he was born in England.  Have you been to Bainbridge, England?  It is an absolutely gorgeous village.  We got lost driving in that area and ended up in that village, I was absolutely thrilled.  Sherry from, Co. U.S. 
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:38 on 14th June 2015
Hi Sherry--just a thought --maybe you would be better contacting Diana by PM as she has not been on line since 2009 --good luck with your searchSmile
 Please login to post to this thread...