Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Groombridge

Groombridge

in the county of East Sussex

Sulgrave Manor, Northamptonshire. Ancestral home of George Washington's family

Sulgrave

in the county of Northamptonshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Gordon Alfred Cavell

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:32 on 1st January 2012

Great post Steve and thanks.

Anna and I welcome you to POE but whilst doing so respectfully suggest you go to 'User Introductions' to tell the members a little about yourself (although from your post I guess we get a good idea) lol

Anyway, why not get the warm POE welcome from the members by doing so?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Steve Cavell
Steve Cavell
quotePosted at 21:02 on 9th May 2012

Thanks Ron, will do

We have started more research and Gordon Cerniglia is now in touch with me and wiith his cousin who lives near him in New York State. I have questions I will put in the introduction section.

Steve Cavell

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 13:58 on 10th May 2012

it would be interesting to find a link with Nurse Edith  Cavell who was born in Swardeston Norfolk and interred in the grounds of Norwich Cathedral, I shall be watching developements here.

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 14:05 on 10th May 2012
Paul, my friends and myself were chatting about you yesterday (were your ears burning?)regarding how you find so much information on families, I am lucky as mine were all local but I would like to look at the 1911 census on line but cannot seem to get it, it always go back mostly to the 1881 census, I guess I need to go back to the record office but sometimes the fiches are rather smudged.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:19 on 10th May 2012

Peggy - Findmypast have quite good copies of the actual forms completed by the occupants of the premises for 1911 and you can "pay to view" if you want to.  Which means you wouldn't have to take out a subscription.

However, they do have all the census forms from 1841 - 1911 and it is quite easy system to use!

The 1881 census is free - which is why you probably keep going back to it! 

Steve Cavell
Steve Cavell
quotePosted at 23:14 on 14th October 2012

Just a quick update and amaybe someting will shake loose somehow.

Gordon Cerniglia has caught up with some other relatives who live near him in New York State and some of them had met beore withiut knowing they were related.

The UK root is still Alfred Lewis Cavell, born in Ramsgate (or nearby) either in 1869 or 1871. He came to Canada sometime with an uncle. The uncle's family still lives in Montreal and the are East of it where they originally settled.

My great grandfather is still a mystery though.... I will be in Ramsgate for a few days starting Tuesday and hope to poke around some churches and maybe a historical society to see if I can find anything.  Thanks for the help above.

Steve Cavell

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 00:30 on 15th October 2012

Good luck, hope you find everything that you are looking for Steve.

All the best Anna and Ron!

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 15:04 on 15th October 2012
Good luck Steve keep us posted
Steve Cavell
Steve Cavell
quotePosted at 17:15 on 15th October 2012

Thank you for the kind wishes.  I don't expect to find much but do expect to have some fun and complete one item on my bucket list (see Ramsgate)

My great grandfather is a mystery.  My brother in law has apparently done abunch of research and is on a Rootsweb site.  His research has my great grandfather at Stephen Alfred Cavell and born in Ramsgate in 1872. He lists his father as Horatio....

My great grandfather enlisted in the Canadian army in WW 1 as Alfred Cavell born Jan 3, 1869 in Ramsgate

Marriage records via this site have his name as Alfred Lewis Cavell and sonewhere one of my other relatives has his birthdate as December 25, 1871

My Mom always told me the old boy was named Stephen Alfred, that his mother was Elizabeth ...

So I guess I will look in old churches in Ramsgate

Cheers and thanks

Steve

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:30 on 16th October 2012

Can't wait to hear if you find anything, Steve. 

If your a praying man, I'd do a bit of that. The good Lord would help you for sure.