Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Harrogate Royal Baths. 2005

Harrogate

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Paynter's Cross, Cornwall Co.,England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Heather Chevalier
Heather Chevalier
quotePosted at 22:30 on 7th April 2012

Anyone know anything about Paynter's Cross? My mother-in-law was born at Paynter's Cross, Cornwall Co.,England (at home) on April 5, 1923. She came to Canada at the age of 4 in 1927. Her name : Evelyn Annie Wells, d/o Dora Tonkin & Edgar Hylton Wells.  

Edgar was born 31 October, 1898 in Clyst Hydon, the district of St.       Thomas, Devon Co., England

Dora was born in St. Teath,Cornwall Co., England. She was working at the Post Office in St. Teath when they met.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:56 on 7th April 2012
And the Registrar recorded Evelyn's mother's maden name as Tonkyn.

quote | editPosted at 11:30 on 1st September 2012

There seems to be very little information on the internet about Paynters Cross, and I can’t find any direct reference to it on any maps.

However, the ‘Street View’ on ‘Google Maps’ shows a small road sign on the A388 Road, which reads ‘Paynters Cross’.  Underneath this sign is another sign which reads “Cargreen 2  ½  (miles)’  & ‘Landulpf 2  ¾ (miles)'.

The closest Village/Hamlet to the ‘Paynters Cross’ sign that I mention is just 140 yard off from the A388 Road.  I can’t see any place name sign within this Hamlet, but perhaps this Hamlet is ‘Paynters Cross’?  There are just six homes there.

From the very little information I can find about ‘Paynters Cross’, it seems that it used to be named “Penters Cross”, & there is a large estate just east of Paynters Cross/Penters Cross.  The estate is called ‘Pentillie Castle and Estate’ & its address is Paynters Cross, St. Mellion, Saltash, Cornwall PL12 6QD.  The PENTILLIE Castle Estate seems to take its name from PENters Cross & James TILLIE, who built the place in 1698.

This whole area is 9 miles north-west from the port of Plymouth.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:31 on 1st September 2012

Hi Heather, I have had a look at some of my Cornish books but not found any info for you. However on  my Ordnance Survey map ( Explorer series No. 108 ) I can see the name Paynter's Cross  quite clearly and near to Vinegar Hill , Map ref 398642.

I have looked on google street map and if you go to the small cluster  of buildings off of the A388 and near to the entrance to Pentille Castle, the road leading away to the right has the village name on a road sign, you will have to go down the lane a bit and turn round to come back to see the sign.

Edited by: Vince Hawthorn at:1st September 2012 21:52
Brett Hughes
Brett Hughes
quotePosted at 23:05 on 1st September 2012

Well spotted Vince, I missed that.

Are you refering to what looks like a single track road, partly shaded by a tree canopy?  The sign on the left as you head back?  The one with a sign above it warning of a bend in the road.

It seems my name didn't appear on my previous post above.  Even though my profile is set to dispay my name.  Just in case it dosen't appear on this one either, it's Brett Hughes

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:16 on 1st September 2012

Hi Brett, that is the one, it gives you a location but as for any info on the place I don't have much else to offer I am sorry to say.

The reason your name did not appear is probably because you started to write your post but took over an hour before actually posting it and our logging in automatically logs off after an hour of no activity. I am sure Ron Brind would explain that better.

Brett Hughes
Brett Hughes
quotePosted at 23:34 on 1st September 2012
On 1st September 2012 23:30, Brett Hughes wrote:
Thanks for the explanation regarding my missing name.  I will be carfull of that next time.  Although I can now see my last post has appeared twice, & I only posted it once.  I must be doing something wrong.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:46 on 2nd September 2012

Hi Brett and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. Vince is correct in what he says re the timing out so try to submit before the hour is up.

Then the avatar, with which POE is having a few problems right now, you are not alone so hang on in there, it will get sorted eventually.

As for the double post, you probably hit the 'refresh' button did you?

If you did, thats why it double posted, the best way to see the latest posts is to click on 'Latest Posts' top left of page, at bottom of the Menu.

Good luck with your search, and enjoy the rest of POE.

Heather Chevalier
Heather Chevalier
quotePosted at 21:05 on 16th February 2014
Thank you, everyone!!!!
 Please login to post to this thread...