Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Clapper Bridge

Postbridge

in the county of Devon

The Old Silk Mill Museum and the River Derwent, Derby

Derby

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

William Best Family of Kent

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Harold Best
Harold Best
quotePosted at 02:24 on 30th August 2012
On 30th August 2012 01:35, Paul Hilton wrote:

We know by 1851, he was already in Ontario and married to a Lydia who was born in Canada.

The Canadian side seems straight forward bar who was John Henry Best who was the Informant of his death?  One of his sons I presume?

Hopefully, he left England after 1841 giving us a chance to find him on the 1841 Census. If he left prior to this, it could take a bit of research for find which William Best he is and the family he is from over here.

"We know" is confusing me.  Is this all you know about him?  The Canadian side is easy for me.  It is before that which I need more information...i.e., his father; mother; etc.  I will do some tracing here in Canada re John Henry...that is if you mean that John Henry has been traced to Canada

Prior to 1837, births etc were recorded by the church--and William was Church of England--- so if we can ascertain which village he came from, the parish records of his birth and baptism will give us a clue to his family. So far, all Canadian records state is Kent, England.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 02:37 on 30th August 2012

By "we know" I perhaps should have written "I know" as he appears on the 1851 Ontario Census, married. John Henry Best reported his death and he was living in Walpole, Ont.

The only possible candidate I have found so far could be William Best; baptised 17 Dec 1809 in Hartley, Kent.  Son of John Best and wife Maria. 

No, it's not all I know about him.  William married Lydia Binkley, 22 March, 1838 in Ontario.  John Henry Best (1840-1911) was their second son. William had been a farmer and was ill 6 months prior to his death.

But  I must admit, I've spent only about 2 hours on your question/s.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th August 2012 02:49
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:14 on 30th August 2012
Well done Paul and thanks again for helping out fellow POE member Harold.
 Please login to post to this thread...