Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Bainbridge/Drum

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sherry Fritzsche
Sherry Fritzsche
quotePosted at 00:44 on 13th June 2015
Looking for any information on these surnames; Bainbridge,Drum, Williams.  My grandfather; Delevan Claude Drum-born in U.S.A.. 1888, this is the only date I have.  His father was Charles Burnette Drum, also born in the states,  his father was ( Delevan Claude Drum )  This is 3 generations, all born in the states, in Nebraska, I know the name traces back to Scotland.  E'stella Williams-my grandfather's mother, her father was Richard Williams and her mother was Anna Williams (they both had the same surname, but weren't related that I know of)  Defenitly an English surname.  The Delevan in the ( ) his mother was Anna Redfern which I believe is Scottish.  Are you confused yet?  Bainbridge line;  my grandmother, Gertrude Bainbridge, born in Neb., U.S.A. 1888, her father was Charles Emmett Bainbridge, born in the stated, his father Jacob Bainbridge, born in England.  I have many surnames that trace back to Great Britain.  Any info is appreciated.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:30 on 13th June 2015

Hi Sherry and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron.

I know of one very clever man who just 'might' be able to help you out here. Remember of course that it is all very time consuming, so who knows he may just surprise you with a few answers, lets hope so.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:58 on 14th June 2015

You said you only had one date so perhaps we can fill some in and other info that might be of use to you?

Delavan Claude Drum-- b. June 18, 1888 and died 14 March, 1968 in Denver. Buried at Crown Hill Cemetery, Wheatridge. By at least the latter 1950s, he was living in Denver. In his late 20s, ran his own pool hall back in Nebraska.

Charles B Drum b. 5 June, 1861 and died 26 Nov. 1907. Buried Rose Hill Cemetery, Neb.

Stella Williams  ( Drum/Watkins) married twice. B. 20 Sept. 1869 in Illinois. Died 21 Feb. 1944. Buried Rose Hill Cemetery, Callaway, Neb.

Stella's parents-- Richard E Williams b. 25 Feb 1837. Died June 1930?   Mother I would have said was  Ann Rebecca Teter b. 2 Nov. 1845 died June 1930?

perhaps some of this might be of use for you.  The Bainbridge surname was a very common name in northern England with several Jacob possibilities to choose from.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:16 on 14th June 2015
What a star, well done Paul
Sherry Fritzsche
Sherry Fritzsche
quotePosted at 23:08 on 14th June 2015
Wow! Fantastic, thanks so much.  Delevan Drum was my grandfather so I do know quite a bit about him, running the pool hall was new to me, but certainly sound like him and I know the family lived in Nebraska, don't know how many years, but My Aunt will know, will also confer with her about Richard Williams, as she has his wife as having the same surname (Williams), but that could be wrong and perhaps it will jog her memory.  She has Anna Williams.  Also has Stella listed as my grndfathers sister and E'stella as his mother. Charles Burnette Drum's father she has as Delevan Claude also ( they sure passed down those names!)  His wife she has as Anna Redfern, which she says is Scottish.  Yes I see how many Bainbridge's there are, after looking at some of the history, were they named after the town because they lived in that area?   Thanks again for all the info!

Edited by: Sherry Fritzsche at:14th June 2015 23:35
Brett Hughes
Brett Hughes
quotePosted at 13:48 on 15th June 2015

If I could just add to what Paul has already posted.  I have found a Richard E. Williams born in Wales, UK on 23 Feb 1837.  In the 1870 census he is 33 years old (farmer) & living in Wauponsee, Grundy, Illinois.  He is with his wife Anne Williams (nee Teeter, sometimes spelt Teter) age, 25.  His daughter Estella Williams is also there, age 1.

In 1880 all the above mentioned are at Custer, Will, Illinois, along with Ida M. Williams, age 9, & John Williams, age 4.

In 1900 Richard E. Williams age 63 (farmer, born in Wales),  Anna Williams age 54, John T Williams (teacher) age 24, Anna Williams age 15, Blanche Williams age 12, Gertrude Williams age 9, are living in Grant, Custer, Nebraska.

In 1910 Richard E. Williams age 73 (farm manager, born in Wales),  Anna R. Williams age 64, & Gertrude Williams age 19, are still in Grant, Custer, Nebraska.

In 1920 Richard E. Williams age 82 (born in Wales – immigration year on the 1920 census says 1847?),  Anna R. Williams age 74. They are all in Delight, Custer, Nebraska.

Richard E. Williams died on 29 Jun 1930 (Rose Hill Cemetery, Callaway, Custer County, Nebraska)

Ann Rebecca Teter Williams born 2 Nov 1845, died 25 Jun 1930 (Rose Hill Cemetery, Callaway, Custer County, Nebraska).  The children Stella Williams ‘Watkins’ (1869-1944), Ida Williams ‘Drum-Wheeler’(1871-1940), Anna Belle Williams ‘Patterson’(1884-1968), Eva Gertrude Williams ‘Hussey’(1890-1956) are at the same cemetery.

According to “History of Custer County, Nebraska”, (by W. L. GASTON AND A. R. HUMPHREY), which I think was published in 1919, It mentions that a Stella William was born in Grundy county, Illinois, on 20 Feb 1869, the daughter of Richard E. Williams & Anna R. (Teeter).  It goes on to say that Richard William was a native of Wales, and he came to the United States when he was five years old, settling in Illinois.  It then says he married Anna R. Teeter & they had nine children, John T,  Walter J,  Ida (the wife of Henry Wheeler), Anna (the wife of Grant Patterson), Blanche (the wife of Zearl Ramzey), Gertrude (the wife of Roy Hussey), and Stella (Mrs. Watkins).  Two children aren’t mentioned.  It mentions that in 1885 the family moved to Custer county, Nebraska, and settled on ‘Red Fern Table’, twelve miles south of Callaway, where he had a 300 acre crop bearing Farm.

Of Stella Williams, it mentions that she was a graduate of the high school at Braid wood, Illinois, & attended Custer County Teachers Institute.  She started to teach on “Red Fern Table”.  She was married in Aug 1887 to Charles B. Drum, the son of Delavan Drum. They had four children: Delavan C, married Gertrude Bainbridge, daughter of Emmett Bainbridge, and has a son and a daughter: Harry E; Erwin G.,19 years of age, is a member of Battery E, One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Artillery, stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and Stella May, who is residing with her mother and stepfather, and who is a graduate of Callaway high school, class of 1917, taught one term of school and is a clerk in the post office at Callaway.

Edited by: Brett Hughes at:15th June 2015 13:49
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:59 on 15th June 2015

Thanks Brett for backing up some of the info I'd come across after quickly looking into these families for a short period plus the additional information to tell us something about their lives.

Delavan's WW1 draft papers show his current occupation when he was 28 as-- proprietor of pool hall.  

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:25 on 15th June 2015

Good stuff Brett, well done also.

It's really great that you guys put in your time to help fellow POE members, thank you very much Paul and Brett.

Sherry Fritzsche
Sherry Fritzsche
quotePosted at 20:04 on 18th June 2015
I concur, it is great that you take your time to find all this info and pass it on!  It is really appreciated, was wonderful to be able to fill in the blanks.  I did not know that Richard Williams was born in Wales.  On my father's side I have a Mary Bashore, who also was born in Wales.  On my mother's side I have the Scottish, English, and a little Norwegian thrown in just for good measure.  We Americans are such a mish-mosh of nationalities!  Thanks again for helping.  Paul and Brett, love your pic, you are such a cute couple!
 Please login to post to this thread...