Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tideswell Church, known as 'Cathedral of the Peak'. The centre piece of the village.

Tideswell

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Derren Brown's Lottery Prediction

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:53 on 10th September 2009

some of you last night might have seen illusionist Derren Brown apparently predicting last night Lottery draw of 6 main numbers ( from 1 to 49 ).

Looks pretty convincing that's what he's done, though me thinks there's a trick being played on us here. So, any ideas how its done as he'll explain on Friday?

For those that haven't seen it, you should be able to watch it here on You tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Wl241KAzc&NR=1

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:10th September 2009 18:10
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:53 on 10th September 2009

Very impressive, but I agree with you, Paul, and think there is some trick here. Although, if you can't figure it out I don't know why we think we could. You're the brain around here. lol.Smile

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 19:21 on 10th September 2009
I think most of those are scams,,if i am not winning its not fare,,LOL
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:48 on 11th September 2009

Having read quite a few ideas, if it's camera trickery----left side goes from live, to still image, back to live after he turns off his TV set, I'll be disappointed.

I'm opting for the 6 balls in his stand have been changed once the 6 draw numbers were known. Shame he didn't buy his own ticket as no one won it and the £2.5 million he could have pocketed for a nights work with his " prediction".

Or maybe he did know no one would win it and has bought a ticket for Saturdays rollover draw of  some £7 million instead ? Smile

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:44 on 11th September 2009

The method Darren B. revealed tonight was basically-----using 24 people doing automatic handwriting, listing the 6 numbers they thought would come up. Then taking the average number for each ball. The idea being that collectively and unwittingly, the group knew what numbers would come up next.

At no time did anyone see the resultant 6 selected numbers until after the draw shown on TV.

To me, that is essentially also saying that 24 ( or other group size) people unconsciously knew the future. Individually, they didn’t, but their collective sub-conscious did.

Is that a plausible explanation? Odds of 14 million to 1 to get it right, and after a few dry runs with his volunteers which showed promise, on the televised version, it apparently worked. The principle he said he was using is the wisdom of crowds effect.  So-----24 people guess at what they think the first ball will be and the average answer is 2  ?????

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th September 2009 01:09
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:58 on 11th September 2009

At least he didn't have a parrot giving away any of his secrets------

A magician on a cruise ship has his every trick spoilt by the captain’s pet parrot . The parrot would squawk “It’s up his sleeve” or ” He has another one in his inside pocket ” etc etc .
The ship hits an iceberg and sinks but fortunately the magiciam gets into an empty lifeboat where he is soon joined by the parrot .
After staring at each other for 2 days , the parrot finally says ” Ok I give up - what did you do with the ship?????? “

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:11th September 2009 23:59
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 00:09 on 12th September 2009
 Laughing 2 

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:35 on 12th September 2009
Maybe we should all do the predication for next week Paul!
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:13 on 12th September 2009

Well Stephanie, our hypothetical "poe syndicate"  might not do too badly with the proviso----we'll play with 7 numbers instead of 6, and choose them from 30 numbers instead of 49.

Deren Brown's explanation of what he alledgedly did has several misleading things about it of no relevance i.e. listing the previous yeas worth of numbers has no inflence on any future numbers which he implies it does by listing them all. I think he both mislead the TV audience with hs explanation and also his 24 people used listing their numbers etc, into believing they, quite miraculously, had their  prediction correct. I think he was secretive about showing any numbers before the draw, as the ones he worked out were irrelevant.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:45 on 13th September 2009