'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Ayr

Ayr

in the county of South Ayrshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Recommend a good Chinese Restaurant in Oxford?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:06 on 18th February 2008
My wife Anna and I are about to celebrate an important occasion here in Oxford. Can anybody REALLY recommend a good Chinese Restaurant here in Oxford? I don't want OK's or pretty good's, I want the best! So which Chinese restaurant is the best? What has been your experience? Thanks in anticipation fellow members.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:14 on 18th February 2008
I'm sending out some feelers, I have a few friends in the Oxford area who are likely to know of such places.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 23:29 on 18th February 2008

I have recieved one answer and they say Paddyfields in Hyth Bridge Street.

I wonder if they have a web page so you can check them out?

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 23:38 on 18th February 2008

I can't wait for the Edit Post option to arrive.

Paddyfields, their web site and then a web site with reviews.

http://paddyfieldsoxford.com/

http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/reviews/venue/340/Paddyfield%2B/

There must be more chinese places though.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:20 on 19th February 2008

Hello Sue

Thanks for your comments, but sadly the Paddyfield Chinese Restaurant in Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford is not a restaurant that we would use again for various reasons. The link to their website soon lets you see that it is still under construction, a bit like their menu! We still live in Oxford and have tried many places to eat, but I wondered if anybody knew something that we didn't. It's great that you should comment from the USA, I bet you get a real thrill out of being able to get back to your roots via poe don't you?

We have found the Peninsula Restaurant in George Street, Oxford (opposite the Appollo or New Theatre - they keep changing the name) to be head and shoulders above anything else in the City. We certainly recommend it for cleanliness, good food, its air-conditioned, they employ polite and clean staff, some who have been there for as long as I can remember. Just the thought of their garlic ribs and prawns has got me drooling at the mouth right now! Fantasic food and well worth a visit. Get more details http://www.inoxfordmag.co.uk/restaurants/r_chinese.html 'The Peninsula Restaurant'. Anybody got anything to beat the Peninsula in George Street, Oxford?

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:40 on 19th February 2008

I've been to the Peninsula when it was under a different name, but that was many years ago.

Another friend suggested Liaison, 29 Castle Street.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:16 on 19th February 2008

Hi again Sue

The Peninsula Restaurant used to be called the Golden Cross....I think! Is that what you remember it as? If so what are your memories?

As for the latest suggestion, I don't think so!

Did I ever tell poe members what I did for a living here in Oxford for nearly 21 years? I worked in the pest control industry!!

So its still the Peninsula Restaurant in George Street, Oxford for me, so far anyway. Anybody else got any suggestions?

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:42 on 19th February 2008

Well I guess I wasn't much help then .

I do believe the restaurant was called The Golden Cross, I remember liking it good food, good feel. We went as a large group of friends, we might have even been in our early twenties, which does make it a LONG time ago.

When I am home (once a year normally) a group of us always get together and go eat, maybe I will put the Peninsula on the list of places to go, so be sure and let us know what you think of it if you chose to go there.

Pest control eh! Sounds very interesting, and I'm guessing that you had a visit to Liaison by the sounds of it.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:39 on 20th February 2008

Hi Sue

Golden Cross, or was it called the Golden Palace? Not sure, but Anna thinks it was 'Palace'. Maybe a poe member will confirm it for us one way or the other?

Anyway went to the Peninsula Restaurant in George Street, Oxford last night and what a fantastic meal! We are like walking wild garlic this morning.....lovely. The restaurant certainly has to be highly recommended by us and is well worth a visit when you come home Sue. Guarantee you'll love the garlic ribs and prawns especially.

And yes, I spent many hours in many hotels, restaurants, pubs, clubs, cafe's, hospitals, mod property - both RAF and USAF. So whilst I won't go into specific detail, there are places in the City and indeed just outside the City, like the Cowley Road area for example that you couldn't pay me to eat at! I guess it really doesn't matter where you go and in which Country you are, there will always be a few bad apples in the bushell. (A bushell of apples weight about 42 pounds incidentally - just another bit of useless information), so one or two bad apples, maybe more!! Needless to say then, that we eat in the Peninsula Restaurant for a very good reason, apart from the food that is!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:20 on 20th February 2008

Well congratulations on whatever your important occasion was, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your special night.

I have already emailed my friends, and The Peninsula is on the list for our annual girls night out.

So do we have allot of POE members in the Oxford area? I grew up 'up Shotover' on the Wheatley side.