Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Dittisham in Devon

Dittisham

in the county of Devon

South Stack Lighthouse.

Holyhead

in the county of Isle of Anglesey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Moving to England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sherry Brewer
Sherry Brewer
quotePosted at 20:32 on 24th February 2008

Hello everyone,

My name is Sherry and I am from Billings Montana in the US. I am being relocated to england for my job and I realized that I know nothing about the area. So I was wondering if anyone could share with me a good place to live. I'm looking for a home to rent and I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the areas and I don't want to end up in a bad place. I do know that I will be in the Cambridgeshire area.... I'm looking for a nice quiet area that I can go to in order to get away from  my busy days at work...so the middle of a city is not exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone knows of any places, I saw these photos and figured someone on this super cool site knew a nice place.If anyone knows of a  great place to live please share!  I am so very  excited to actually be coming to England!!! 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:25 on 24th February 2008

Trying my best not to be jealouse  . Oh how I'd love for my husbands bosses to tell him he was being transferred to England.

But getting over my jealousy and welcoming you to the board , I have to admit that I  am not familiar with the Cambridge area so can't help you, but I'm sure someone here will.

When will you be moving?

Good luck! 

Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 13:38 on 25th February 2008

This link will give you crime rates, house prices, council performances and the like. You get the full details including any ugly bits if they exist

http://www.upmystreet.com/

This link is to the local council website. It is a world of info on local services and taxes.

http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/portal/

Edited by: Sarah at:31st March 2010 17:39
Roses
Roses
quotePosted at 15:22 on 9th March 2008
can't add anymore places to live, but just wanted to tell you NOT to bring any major electrical appliances.  will be cheaper to buy once you get there, as they use 220V as opposed to 110V.  can be expensive getting a transformer, but they can be had.  and DON'T look fr your eggs in the dairy section as you won't find them!  LOL 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:29 on 17th March 2008
A belated welcome, as you say, to a super cool site Sherry! If you can't find it here you ain't gonna find it!
L
L
quotePosted at 19:49 on 17th March 2008
Hi Sherry, a belated welcome from me too, hope you find/found somewhere that you like here. I'm in the next county down to Cambrdige, in Bedfordshire, so we will be neighbours, of sorts Laughing soooooooo welcome neighbour! Wink

quote | editPosted at 23:30 on 17th March 2008

Hi Sherry...a very belated welcome from me too..good luck with the move...I can't help I live in deepest Worcestershire (but it's very nice!)

SueSmile

David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 15:59 on 31st March 2010
Seriously, how does one move from US to England?  My understanding from my own research is that one would have to have a permanent job offer in order to do it (and how wuld that ever happen!?), otherwise one must leave in 6 months.  Unless one is independently wealthy, I suppose, and can prove it.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:14 on 31st March 2010
On 24th February 2008 20:32, SHERRY BREWER wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Sherry and I am from Billings Montana in the US. I am being relocated to england for my job and I realized that I know nothing about the area. So I was wondering if anyone could share with me a good place to live. I'm looking for a home to rent and I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the areas and I don't want to end up in a bad place. I do know that I will be in the Cambridgeshire area.... I'm looking for a nice quiet area that I can go to in order to get away from  my busy days at work...so the middle of a city is not exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone knows of any places, I saw these photos and figured someone on this super cool site knew a nice place.If anyone knows of a  great place to live please share!  I am so very  excited to actually be coming to England!!! 

Hi from me Sherry I served in the RAF near Cambridge in the 70's, lovely part of the country. If you have downloaded Google Earth onto your PC you can now have a street view of most places in the UK and beyond, check out Cambridge and surounding areas, mainy flat farm land but lovely in the summertime. About an hour by rail to London. i think Peggy (here on POE) will enlighten you but all the villages around there are pretty. cambridge itself is a charming university town with lots of students so lots of 'lets' but avoid that scene if you want peace and quite lol. Good luck
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 18:08 on 31st March 2010
On 31st March 2010 15:59, David Seager wrote:
Seriously, how does one move from US to England?  My understanding from my own research is that one would have to have a permanent job offer in order to do it (and how wuld that ever happen!?), otherwise one must leave in 6 months.  Unless one is independently wealthy, I suppose, and can prove it.

I heard the same David. I read that you have to have a job and be hosted by your employer. But like you said, how does one do that!? Must be a huge undertaking...but well worth it I'm sure. This is something I want to do in the near future!!