Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Harwich Low Lighthouse

Harwich

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cost of living

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 22:03 on 10th April 2008

Could anyone please give me some idea about the cost of living in the London area?  for example, how would you consider a salary of 45,000£/year? low? average? good?  Besides, how much does taxation amount to in England? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
L
L
quotePosted at 07:41 on 11th April 2008
Expensive Maria, wherever you are, but London even more so. We are taxed on anything and everything, even taxed on tax lol blame Gordon Brown! Not sure what the average wage in London is but its more than the rest of England cos of the high cost of living there. I'm sure someone will put me right on this though Wink
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 08:06 on 11th April 2008

Maria, we invented taxation. We're very good at it too, because if you work for someone you have to pay tax on the wages that you earn. Then, every single thing you buy is taxed, so you pay out again, with the wages you have left after tax. Then there is National insurance contributions, invented a long time ago to fund the NHS, difference being it worked then. Then you have VAT on all your purchases. If you drive a car, you have to pay road tax, if you own a house you have to pay council tax (the amount varies from area to area, depending on their greed.) If you are lucky enough to have any money left after all this, don't save it with the bank or building society.....you guessed it, it will be taxed. Going back to your earlier point, £45,000 in London? You will have to live outside the city and commute, sorry.

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 15:38 on 11th April 2008
I'll get the info on board, thank you both.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:35 on 11th April 2008
I love purchase tax. Invented to help pay for the war effort. It will stop when the war ends. Many years later, it was stopped. Now we pay VAT instead. I love this country.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 22:13 on 11th April 2008
Where's Robin Hood when you need him?
L
L
quotePosted at 22:55 on 11th April 2008
He's changed his tactics now, he goes under the name of Sir Gordon Brown and takes from the poor to give to the rich!
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 08:59 on 12th April 2008
It seems a little unfair doesn't it?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:57 on 12th April 2008
This rotten Government has introduced more than one hundred tax increase's since they came to power, good job when Gordon Brown is out on his a... and starts paying for his own TV licence like the rest of us. He has recently given away more millions of our hard earned cash protecting the third world from mosquito's. Whilst I accept that they deserve better, he needs to sort out his own back yard first! It is not our problem!! 
L
L
quotePosted at 19:30 on 13th April 2008
Did you get a new soap box for xmas Ron? lol mind you, I agree with everythign you said!!
1 2 3 4 5 Next >