'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Old cottage in Mayfield

Mayfield

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Tea in London

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:47 on 25th May 2009

just reading this old post of Ricardo's, hope he found his cup of tea in london. i cant understand his difficulty though. i'm sure every true 'english' household drinks tea at some part of the the day. They certainly do in my part of the country (Lancashire) and down in Devon & Cornwall they're known for their 'cream teas (a cup of tea and scones with butter, cream and raspberry jam !  mmmmm

I didnt drink tea until I was about 27 year old, hated the taste but as you mature there is nothing better than a 'good' cup of tea, served with breakfast, 11'ses 3pm and about 8 pm. Everyone has there own idea of how its made and to their own taste . The elderly would probly brew it in a ceramic tea pot with a lid and serve it in a teacup and saucer. The younger would probly brew it in a mug. The trendy types drink instant coffee instead.  If you are trying tea for the first time you'll probly spit it out lol (just as you would a glass of beer for the first time) but as you get used to it theres nothing more relaxing, served with a sweet biscuit or cream cake. If more young people would settle for a cup of tea rather than caffiene-laced coffee, or alcohol I'm sure there'd be much less violence on our streets lol

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ricardo Malagueño
Ricardo Malagueño
quotePosted at 22:56 on 25th May 2009

Michael,
unfortunately I still didn't find "my cup of tea" since nobody else answered in this thread. I was afraid that the tea ceremony was over for ever in England and I remained stuck in the glorious old days without noticing the change.

For  your information I am kind of addicted to tea and have it in all shapes and sizes: regular, ceylon, spiced, mint, earl grey, lemon, and my favourite: lapsang souchong.  Every time I go to the supermarket I look for some new variety that still didn't try and buy it without hesitation.I like to sit in the afternoon and have my tea served in a proper cup  with cake, toasts or scones (all bought, of course.

Reading the above I look more English that many of you, don't I ?Wink

You are right to say that the younger generations would prefer more fashionable drinks, but I hope that they will not come to the extreme of changing your traditional roast beef and Yorkshire pudding... for sushi.

Anyway, I will be arriving in London next September 1st and hope to find my cup of tea by then.

Death to the Ritz!

Kind greetings...

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 00:18 on 26th May 2009
Ricardo, there are three places that stand out in my memory when it comes to a memorial tea's, one was the famous Brown's Hotel and the Ritz Hotel, both in London. The third was more for the ambiance than the tea though as tea's go it's probably a more authentic taste of what an everday tea might be, and that was The Crooked House of Windsor,
England. 
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 07:49 on 26th May 2009
is that the castle Diana lol
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 14:20 on 27th May 2009
Ricardo, there are any number of places where one can enjoy afternoon tea in London if you don't mind paying the rather lofty prices for it.  That's assuming you aren't able to find someone who will serve you tea in their home.  I think that would be lovely.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 21:08 on 27th May 2009
On 26th May 2009 07:49, michael gerrard wrote:
is that the castle Diana lol

LOL!!! Wink
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 22:03 on 27th May 2009

Ricardo, if you are interested in a package deal which includes afternoon tea and a tour of one of several different places in London, check out this website.  Kensington Palace, Windsor Castle, Harrods/St. Paul's Cathedral to name a few offer such deals. 

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=3

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 22:08 on 27th May 2009

One selection at the Orangery at Kensington Palace is:

TREGOTHNAN ENGLISH TEA £28.50

A flute of Chapel Down Pinot Noir brut reserve 2002 England, a selection of afternoon tea sandwiches, freshly baked mini scones served with Cornish clotted cream and organic preserves, dainty fresh fruit tarts and afternoon tea cakes.  Served with a pot of Tregothnan tea

Ricardo Malagueño
Ricardo Malagueño
quotePosted at 22:50 on 27th May 2009

Thank you Diana and Barbara, the places you suggest look great.

I am a little surprised to see that many of them offer tea accompanied by a glass of wine or champagne. Is it some new fashion? I think they don't combine at all !!!

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 03:31 on 28th May 2009
Hi Ricardo, I cant help you on finding your cup of tea but it sounds like you are a expert on Tea and know whats good... I only drink sweet iced tea here in the U.S. and i want to try the tea  when we go to England i felt so outta place in Ireland and mostly Scotland when i never had the tea but anyway what would be a good hot tea for a beginner like me to try, I want to find one and try it, i have never had hot tea and would not know what to even put in it.. hope you dont mind i broke into your post for your opion.;-)))))))