Arundel

in the county of West Sussex

Bold Head overlooking Salcombe

Salcombe

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A view in the Abbey Garden, Tresco

Tresco

in the county of Isles of Scilly

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Tea in London

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:53 on 28th May 2009
On 27th May 2009 22:50, Ricardo Malagueño wrote:

Thank you Diana and Barbara, the places you suggest look great.

I am a little surprised to see that many of them offer tea accompanied by a glass of wine or champagne. Is it some new fashion? I think they don't combine at all !!!

It depends on the tea their serving Ricardo. If it's Lipton or Bigelow you'll need the alcohol to wash it down. WinkLaughing
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 01:46 on 9th April 2010
May I piggyback on this thread for a general question about tea?  Is it true that the closest thing to real authentic British tea is what is commonly sold  as the so-called "English Breakfast" tea?  And that such store brands as Lipton or Salada are rather weak in comparison?
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 02:55 on 9th April 2010
Lipton and Salada are pretty weak-kneed, though Red Rose is a bit better when it comes to tea commonly consumed in the States. My current favorite is Punjana Irish Breakfast Tea blended by Thompson's in Belfast--definitely a tea that puts hair on your chest! Yorkshire Gold (Taylors of Harrowgate) is also a favorite of mine, as is Lifeboat Tea (Williamson). Another one to look for is Taylors of Harrowgate's Scottish Breakfast Tea--very strong and malty. I must drink at least 5 cups of strong tea a day--with milk of course (no sugar).
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:53 on 9th April 2010

That Rob is a true Englishman! Lol

Can't beat a nice strong cuppa...

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 12:14 on 9th April 2010

Thanks Ron--that is a true compliment! 

Yep, you can have your coffee--it's strong hot tea that gets me through the day! England and St. George!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 15:05 on 9th April 2010
Just never, never, ever, (unless you think you are dying so don't care), drink the tea at railway stations. (or airports or any where else that serves tea in polystyrene cups!)  Maybe a miracle has happened and this is no longer the case, but it has always been my experience!!
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 17:14 on 9th April 2010
I'm perfectly content on a daily maintenance basis with Bigelow's "English Teatime" or PG Tips (with milk and Splenda).  When I have time to sit down with a proper china cup/saucer, I like to brew a bit of Buckingham Palace Garden Party tea, a lighter afternoon blend (supposedly the same as that served at Her Majesty's spring garden party).
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:42 on 9th April 2010

most 'everyday' domestic cups of tea drunk in the Uk are Tetley tea bags or PG tips drunk from a ceramic 'mug'. Its made by pouring boiling water over a tea bag in the mug, strain the tea bag after a few seconds and dispose of it. add milk and white sugar to taste, allow to cool for a few minutes. Its an aquired taste so dont be surprised if you are tasting it for the first time, it could taste awful.

Diferent teas and ways of serving them differ greatly depending on the location Smile

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:18 on 9th April 2010

How can you call that tea Michael?  Yuck.  Tongue outFrownYell

Smile

Edited by: cathyml at:9th April 2010 18:20
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:16 on 9th April 2010
I wouldnt drink Tea (or milk) until I was about 26 years of age Cath. I now have about 4 cups a day, still hate the taste but its so relaxing Lol.