Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Cheltenham College Dining Hall, Chapel and Cricket grounds

Cheltenham

in the county of Gloucestershire

Cobham, Surrey.

Cobham

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

For British People or Experts .. !

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 13:31 on 18th June 2008

Maria must be busy Denzil, or maybe she has a 'life' as well?

Ray. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 14:02 on 18th June 2008
On 17th June 2008 16:31, Paul Hilton wrote:

Well Yasser, if you want to learn how to add non-existant syllables to English words, I'd highly recommend a visit to the southern US states, creating an accent with a charm all its' own. A bit like the charm of Southern Comfort after they'd devised a new use for peaches in Georgia. Their renown southern hospitality comes in many flavours.

How many English accents? I'd say hundreds.

On 17th June 2008 17:38, Paul Hilton wrote:

If you did visit the US, you'd have the additional work of having to learn another vocabulary in addition to what you might learn over here. For a simple example, American's use the word "candy" for our "sweets", though candy has it's origins in Persia from "qand" meaning sugar, it's main ingredient, and came to England as candy in the early 1400s, but when we stopped using it, Americans continued with it, as today.

When you asked how many accents here. I think you also meant to include that as dialects too, and in the US, it is almost certainly more of than what we have here due to the vast number of nationalities of immigrants over the centuries moving there.

Yes Paul you alright. The British English this is what I've learned in Kingdom of Saudi, not the American English. 

Yasser Sidran
Yasser Sidran
quotePosted at 14:07 on 18th June 2008
On 17th June 2008 19:54, Andy Edwards wrote:
Good points Paul. I don't think Yosser needs to visit the USA Paul, do you Yessar? I have a sneaking suspicion you know America very well.

Never Andy, you alright.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 14:15 on 18th June 2008

Hi Yasser:

I think you're real and your English is quite good.  Here's a little something for you to work on:

When I saw the tear in the fabric, I shed a tear. He wound the bandage around the wound. The hiker chose to desert his dessert in the desert. Since there is no time like the present, you may present the present.  We must subject the subject to a series of tests. We park in driveways and drive on parkways.Have you read the book yet?  No, I'm planning to read it this weekend.

Good luck with your English studies!

RG

Yasser Sidran
Yasser Sidran
quotePosted at 14:29 on 18th June 2008
On 17th June 2008 21:10, Sue H wrote:

Some weird stuff going on on this forum. What's with the above post? No name, no avatar, different time stamp. Joined in 1970 when I'm quite sure Yasser wasn't even a sparkle in anyone's eye. 

Come on POE, fess up.

1970, the god haven't created me yet. you alright Sue.
Yasser Sidran
Yasser Sidran
quotePosted at 14:59 on 18th June 2008
On 18th June 2008 14:15, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Hi Yasser:

I think you're real and your English is quite good.  Here's a little something for you to work on:

When I saw the tear in the fabric, I shed a tear. He wound the bandage around the wound. The hiker chose to desert his dessert in the desert. Since there is no time like the present, you may present the present.  We must subject the subject to a series of tests. We park in driveways and drive on parkways.Have you read the book yet?  No, I'm planning to read it this weekend.

Good luck with your English studies!

RG

Hi Ruth,

Really it's a marvellous poem Ruth, I've learned a new words and the words meaning of the poem are incredible too.

Thank you very much Ruth, I'll nevre forgetten your assistance Smile you and POE members too.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:00 on 18th June 2008

Yes I'm alright, but not a bit of alright, those days are past (or never were).

What's with the unnamed un-avatared posts. Come on POE, I'm still awaiting an answer.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 15:07 on 18th June 2008

Morning, Sue.  Finally, someone I can say good morning to when it's still morning....Smile

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:11 on 18th June 2008
Yes, good morning. It's 7:10 am here in sunny Nevada.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 15:15 on 18th June 2008
Same time here, Sue and 92° already.  I'm getting ready for work but I keep my eye on  the mad lot- Have a great day up there!