Colchester

a Historic City in the county of Essex

Ye Olde Red Horse Pub at Evesham

Evesham

in the county of Worcestershire

A view in the Abbey Garden, Tresco

Tresco

in the county of Isles of Scilly

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English lingo

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 14:52 on 4th September 2008
If you asked "Fancy a pint?" You would be well accepted. I think you would be more noticed if you didnt use English terms.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 14:54 on 4th September 2008
On 4th September 2008 14:48, Barbara Shoemaker wrote:
One of my favorite subjects, English lingo.  I have a question for you English (British, Cornish, Welsh, etc.) lot.  If tourists/visitors to the UK use common English terms when speaking with you (that aren't common to American daily language, for instance), do you, the locals, welcome that, find it amusing, find it annoying, wish we wouldn't do it, etc.?  I'm not talking about rude or crude words.  I mean things like "fancy a pint?", "mind you," straightaway, loo, that sort of thing. I think the English have so many wonderful, charming terms that I love using them as well, even at home in the USA.  Mind you, I don't pretend to put on an English accent, just enjoy using the words.  I do value your opinions, fellow POE-ers. 
That is a great question, Barbara!!! I've wondered the same thing! 
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:59 on 4th September 2008
I always find it odd when a foreigner uses local terms, even worse if they do with an English accent, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. You do what you feel comfortable doing, and don't be worrying what someone like me, thinks.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:01 on 4th September 2008

P.S.   Besides, if you use English terms enough, they cease becoming Englsih terms and become your terms.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 15:20 on 4th September 2008
It has more to do with how you pronounce words I think. When I worked on the London Underground, an American asked me how to get to " Glowsester", I didnt know where he meant. In England it is pronounced Gloster.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 15:40 on 4th September 2008
On 4th September 2008 15:01, Sue H wrote:

P.S.   Besides, if you use English terms enough, they cease becoming Englsih terms and become your terms.

Good point, Sue!  Part of it is becoming comfortable in whatever new location I'm in at the moment.  When I go home to Alabama, I slip very easily into my former Southern drawl and start using local phrases there as well.  I tend to do that wherever I go.

Peter, no doubt I'd be a popular lady if I went around inviting people for pints, wouldn't I!  I think I'm more interested in blending in with the locals rather than being more noticed, especially if the notice is more negative than positive.  I totally agree with you about the mispronunciation of names.  Makes me cringe!  Case in point, in recent months I've watched a couple of travel shows on American TV where the presenter was in Scotland, specifically Edinburgh.  I was beside myself when I heard them say "Edinborough"!  Crikey!  I try to be aware (I've made myself a student of this on purpose) of the proper pronunciation of names so I don't get them wrong and look the fool or insult anyone. 

Love the clown costume, by the way.  Laughing

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:50 on 4th September 2008
On 4th September 2008 15:40, Barbara Shoemaker wrote:
  I think I'm more interested in blending in with the locals rather than being more noticed, especially if the notice is more negative than

To be honest, you would have to be VERY good to blend in. Trying to blend in may make you even more noticable.

Most English people love the American accent as much as you love the English accent, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I say you should enjoy being different.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:16 on 4th September 2008

Peggy posted this picture. Talk about local lingo.

The Norfolk Language Sign
Picture by Peggy Cannell

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:21 on 4th September 2008
The one thing that I will say about American visitors to our country, they are the most polite people you can ever meet. When coming up to ask a question, they always say excuse me, can you help me please and thank you afterwards. Not like most of our own English, who normaly start with Oy, how do I get to, and then just walk off afterwards not even saying please or thank you.
L
L
quotePosted at 16:21 on 4th September 2008
On 4th September 2008 15:40, Barbara Shoemaker wrote:
On 4th September 2008 15:01, Sue H wrote:

Good point, Sue!  Part of it is becoming comfortable in whatever new location I'm in at the moment.  When I go home to Alabama, I slip very easily into my former Southern drawl and start using local phrases there as well.  I tend to do that wherever I go.

Peter, no doubt I'd be a popular lady if I went around inviting people for pints, wouldn't I!  I think I'm more interested in blending in with the locals rather than being more noticed, especially if the notice is more negative than positive.  I totally agree with you about the mispronunciation of names.  Makes me cringe!  Case in point, in recent months I've watched a couple of travel shows on American TV where the presenter was in Scotland, specifically Edinburgh.  I was beside myself when I heard them say "Edinborough"!  Crikey!  I try to be aware (I've made myself a student of this on purpose) of the proper pronunciation of names so I don't get them wrong and look the fool or insult anyone. 

Love the clown costume, by the way.  Laughing

Thats how I pronounce it Barbara...Edinburra (Edinborough)