'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Long Melford Windmill

Long Melford

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Driving vs the train

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Matt Mitguard
Matt Mitguard
quotePosted at 04:51 on 31st May 2009

Howdy -  I am visiting your country in July. I am from the USA.  Given that you have a great train system and I do not have a lot of time, I am in a quandary. I am going to be in the UK for about 9 days and plan to visit locations outside of London for approximately 5 days or the period.  I would like to do a loop trip from London, west to the Cotsworth area, then north to Madresfield, Startford on Avon, and York or there abouts. I'm traveling with a 7 year old and an 17 year old along with my wife. I do not want to burn up a lot of time waiting for trains and feel that driving would be more efficient. Given my situation, does anyone have thoughts on which means of travel I should take in order to make the best of seeing your beautiful country?  Thanks

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 06:32 on 31st May 2009

Hi  Matt,

Welcome to the website. I am certain that members will  come up with lots of ideas for you to enjoy your visit to UK.

Regards, Ray.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:57 on 31st May 2009
Hi Matt, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. I would say the car would be best provided you are comfortable driving over here. Reason? The trains are pretty expensive and not particularly convenient, although if you research things you may be able to find a few 'deals' to keep the cost down, but don't hold your breath. I would also say the trains are not reliable. The car will prove to be a better option, but parking may dampen your enthusiasm a little. Anyway, my opinion for what it's worth.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:53 on 31st May 2009
I second Ron on that Matt. go for the car option cause dont forget if you go by train anywhere, you still would need to get to your destination from the station. I assume you are flying into Londons Heathrow? Hire your car at the airport, spend a couple of days looking around London (Leave your car at the hotel and use the 'Tube', its better to get around). then drive to your wifes ancestral area of Madresfield and the Cotswolds (not cotsworth, lol), spend a couple of days there, move north to Stratford (Shakespear country) a couple of days there before heading up the M1 to York. Whilst in york nip over to Hawarth for the day, (90 mins drive or less) the home of the Bronte Sisters. The day before you fly back head back down the M1 towards Heathrow.  If the weather is anything like it is here today, (sunny blue sky 24 degrees) daylight hours from 4am to 10pm, you should enjoy your holiday in England).
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:48 on 31st May 2009

I like to travel by train myself.

I'm not a very confident driver, and would hate to handle the English road system if I'd never driven there before. And London, I wouldn't even dream of driving in London even when I lived over there. Have you ever driven in LA or NY Matt? Well, I bet London is just as mad, and they drive on the other side of the road to boot.

But then you may be a very competent driver and have no problems on the English roads. It's something to think about.

I always travel by train when I am over, and found that they run pretty well. Everything is expensive, of course, that includes the price of petrol/gas if you drive.

Good luck with your plans,  and be sure to visit us here again and tell us all about your trip, complete with pictures. 

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 15:11 on 31st May 2009
Its your choice Matt. Because of the credit crunch the £ is pretty weak at the moment so you'll get more for your money. Petrol (gas), is down to about 97pence a litre, thats about 30 pence cheaper than last year so its good value. you could drive from london to York for instance (about 250 miles) on about £30 of fuel. It would cost you and your family about £200 doing the same juorney by rail.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 15:23 on 31st May 2009

use this site (route planner) or simular (London to York 209 miles, 4hours, traffic permitting).

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Matt Mitguard
Matt Mitguard
quotePosted at 17:42 on 31st May 2009

Thank you everyone - especially to Michael who has given me my very first international spelling pointer. There will be many more, no  doubt. I thank him also for remembering my previous post regarding Madresfield. As for driving on the "other" side of the road, that sounds like a challenge. I live in San Francisco and do a lot of field work in Los Angeles, so I am accustom to crazy driving - I will do all I can to avoid driving inLondon thought.

I had not thought about the latitude of England and that we would have daylight until 10pm. What great news. At least I can get lost in the daylight.  

One more quick question. If one had to chose between visiting either Glasgow or Edinbourgh, is there any clear choice. I am not sure if it is a good idea to push the trip to Scotland, but if I do, it will be because on of my ancestors was in the Black Watch. I could also pass by Lincoln Cathedral on the way south...not exactly a quick question, but simple is difficult when trying to address the mighty UK from afar. 

Thanks again, Matt

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 18:10 on 31st May 2009
forgive me if i'm being a pest, keep jumping on, matt but you could hit Lincoln after doing stratford, its on your way up to York and not much out of your way.  If you have the time, you could also 'hit' Edinburgh after York (york minster is also a nice catheral, also the Brithish Rail museum in york is well worth a vist),  (Striaght up the A1) about 3 hours drive to Edinburgh. I have been to Edinburgh Castle which was/is? the home of the black watch. nice city, take your camera but remember that long drive back to london (6/7 hours).
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 18:54 on 31st May 2009

here are somepictures from POE, Matt(POE=Pictures of England) there are thousans more on this site, just look up the town from the column on the left and follow through. no pics of edinburgh though as that is scotland lol

Cotswolds 

The riverside at Lower Slaughter
Picture by John Ware

Stratford on Avon

Shakespeare's Birthplace
Picture by LORRAINE .

Lincoln

Picture by Lincolnian

york

York Minster
Picture by Stephen

York railway Museum