Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Crich War Memorial

Crich

in the county of Derbyshire

Goodnight

Hayle

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Question about 'class' in 30s and 40s

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 14:35 on 12th March 2010
That reminds me of that movie "Hope and Glory" ever see it??  Great movie!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 14:45 on 12th March 2010

Thank to all of you. Sure glad I joined this site. 8-)

I have always been interested in history since I was a young girl. Living overseas probably helped. I don't think I mentioned it before but I do have a degree in history (European and American) and have several books on British Empire and Second World War. Really learned a lot from the show 1940s House and it is amazing how much I learned from Foyle's War (yes, that show again - absolutely fabulous show). :-)

It is always nice, however, to 'talk' to real English men and women and not just read things in books.

I have become acquainted with British authors Robert Radcliffe (Under an English Heaven) and James Holland (I am listening to The Burning Blue now). Their books are about pilots during the war and set in England.

OK, well, I think I have typed enough today. Plus, I need to get some breakfast for me and the little one.

YOU ALL ARE GREAT. Thanks.

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 14:47 on 12th March 2010
On 12th March 2010 14:35, Krissy wrote:
That reminds me of that movie "Hope and Glory" ever see it??  Great movie!

Yes. I am also going to watch the 1988 series "Piece of Cake" which is about RAF pilots and such. I am going to get it through Neflix. Nathaniel Parker (Inspector Lynley) is in it, one of his first roles.
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 14:51 on 12th March 2010
On 12th March 2010 14:34, lancashirelove wrote:
young women at that time couldnt purchase nylon stockings (pantihose) as , due to the war, they were hard to get hold of (unless you knew an American serviceman.) When going to a dance some young women would 'spray-tan' their legs with gravey browning or draw a line down the rear of the legs to make it appear they were wearing nylon stockings.

Yes, I know! It is amazing what women did to make up for loss of cosmetics and silk stockings and such.  The Way We lived Then is great because it really consists of quotations from Mass Observation reports and letters and memoirs from women all over England. I think the book was originally written in the Seventies, but has been re-released. Excellent reference.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:27 on 12th March 2010
On 12th March 2010 14:19, Lara Zielinski-Branks wrote:
On 12th March 2010 09:02, lancashirelove wrote:

hi, again. thanks for that. if you can watch some of the british TV crime series such as Miss Marple or Midsommer Murders.     

I love those shows! I have watched ALL Miss Marple versions and Poirot and half of the M.M. (there are so many).

I actually have the Agatha Christie's early works/short stories of Marple and Poirot .

See, I said I was an Anglophile. 8-P

A friend went to take some photos of filming Miss Marple in Lincoln Inn Fields, London last weekend.  Here's Agatha Christie's gave in Cholsey, and she lived in nearby Wallingford.

Cholsey, Oxfordshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:33 on 12th March 2010
Oh I love watching 1940's House! That was a great way to see what it was like durning the war!!! It was great to see the mom still use what she learned in her modern life. Goes to show....
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:33 on 12th March 2010
On 12th March 2010 14:28, Lara Zielinski-Branks wrote:
On 12th March 2010 12:40, Paul Hilton wrote:

But  I think Upstairs Downstairs did show another era of Lord and Lady Bellamy of Eaton Place, Belgravia and the relationships in their household.

Hi Paul! I watched a 2 DVDs of that show. I believe the Bellamy family lived in London, though, right?

It was interesting but ... for some reason I stopped watching.

Right Lara; Belgravia is an area between Buckingham Palace and Chelsea, with Pimlico to the south and Knightsbridge to the north.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:40 on 12th March 2010
On 12th March 2010 14:45, Lara Zielinski-Branks wrote:

Thank to all of you. Sure glad I joined this site. 8-)

I have always been interested in history since I was a young girl. Living overseas probably helped. I don't think I mentioned it before but I do have a degree in history (European and American) and have several books on British Empire and Second World War. Really learned a lot from the show 1940s House and it is amazing how much I learned from Foyle's War (yes, that show again - absolutely fabulous show). :-)

Foyle's War is made by the same production company that makes Midsomer Murders, and written by Anthony Horowitz who'd also did the screenplays of early Midsomer episodes;  he appears amongst the church congregation in Death's Shadow, and his son Caspian is at the start of Judgement Day taking his doggy to the vets. He's probably better known for his children's stories/ movie of the Alex Rider series.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:28 on 12th March 2010
in foyles war what about that girls real name    honeysuckle    her parents must have had a few drinks prior to the christening.Laughing
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:31 on 12th March 2010
I always thought the same thing about her name James! Her middle name is Hero!!!