St Osyth

in the county of Essex

Black Prince

Leeds

in the county of West Yorkshire

Greenwich, Greater London

Greenwich

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What Are The Speed Limits on England's Roads?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:51 on 13th May 2010
What are the maximum speed limits for cars not towing a trailer on England's roads unless signs say otherwise?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:12 on 13th May 2010
50 mph?
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:21 on 13th May 2010

30 mph---in built-up areas i.e. where the road has a system of streelights no further than 200 yards apart, unless signs show another speed limit.

where there is no streetlighting and signs do not indicate a lower speed limit---single carriageway road---60 mph;   dual carriageways and motorways 70 mph. 

Prior to December 1965, roads outside built-up areas had no speed restrictions. After a series of motorway accidents, a speed limit of 70 mph was introduced. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:13th May 2010 16:43
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:26 on 13th May 2010

Wow! I would have gotten a ticket for speeding then!!

70 mph..wow! Here it's only 65...as a suggestion!

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:55 on 13th May 2010
There is now talk of increasing the speed limit,for motorways,to 80 mph. The reason? Because hardly anyone sticks to the 70 mph limit.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 19:38 on 13th May 2010

Which means that they will, of course, go 90 mph if the speed limit is 80 mph!

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:12 on 9th July 2010

In 2009, the government pocketed £87.3 million from speeding fines/cameras.

It was recently reported the number of people killled on UK's roads for 2009 was 2,222.   In the US, the NHTSA estimates their figure for similar will be 33,963, down from 42,000 in 2005. 

David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 15:21 on 13th July 2010
How is the rate of traffic accidents?  The narrow roads I see in rural areas (on shows like Midsomer Murders!) seem so dangerous . . .
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:26 on 13th July 2010

Well they might appear to be David---especially when Sgt. Troy is driving on them !   But I think you'll find it is single-carriageway A roads--i.e. main roads---which are the worst offenders taking road classifcations as a whole------Your Midsomer ones are generally B and C roads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/10454356.stm

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 19:15 on 13th July 2010

Paul (and David):

You're right about the single-carriageway A roads being the most dangerous. I especially detest driving on the A303, which is one of the main southern routes from Basingstoke (Hampshire) almost to Honiton (Devon). Though parts of the route are dual carriageway, the road frequently reverts to a highly congested single carriageway, often backed up for miles due to lumbering farm machinery--it is nearly impossible at some times to pass. Also, its proximity only yards from Stonehenge near Amesbury makes it in my mind the most detestable road in the UK, which I try to avoid at all cost.

However, for true adventures in driving, it is hard to beat the back single-track lanes of Somerset and Devon--real hair-raisers, some of them, particularly when they are flanked on either side by close growing hedgerows! I have attached one of my photos of Iford Lane near Freshford on the Somerset-Wiltshire border. The lane gets progressively narrower as you travel east-southeast until the bushes are rubbing up against your car. Not more than 5 minutes after taking this picture, I came face to face with another car driven by an ancient little man accompanied by his equally ancient wife. They were riding in what I believe was an old Vauxhall Victor estate wagon (station wagon for the Americans out there)--a pretty big car for that lane.
Iford Lane, going to Iford Manor
Picture by Rob Faleer

Though this couple's car was only a short distance from a passing spot behind their car (no more than 20 yards), the sweet little old lady very politely informed me that her husband could not turn his head enough to back their car up and would I be so kind as to back my car up for them to pass. I asked if I could back their car up to the passing place, but they both politely declined the offer, citing liability issues--through they were probably worried that I might try to rob them or steal their car! Feeling resigned to the situation, I very slowly backed my car up what I estimate to have been over 150 yards to another passing spot (I use that term very loosely—basically a hole in the hedge!) where they were just able to squeak their car around mine--the side mirrors actually brushed each other. Such a cute old couple, though, as they smiled and waved goodbye!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:13th July 2010 20:14