'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Coventry

Coventry

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Tell me about Worthing (West Sussex)

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

TeaLoverDenise
TeaLoverDenise
quotePosted at 16:24 on 3rd June 2010

What can anyone tell me about Worthing as a place for a 50-ish married couple to live/work? (He's in IT; I'm a Legal Secretary.)

After a Google Web and Image search, Worthing does not particularly rock my boat. Just looking for some unbiased feedback.

Cheers.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 17:19 on 3rd June 2010

Denise--Are you definitely set on Worthing? I have done a great deal of traveling throughout West Sussex over the years and have been through Worthing several times. While there is nothing particularly wrong with Worthing, it is large, very modern and lacks the picturesque nature of smaller towns and villages. If Worthing is where you plan to work, you might want to consider living in a nearby village and commuting. Steyning is rather nice and has more going for it in terms of classic English charm:

Steyning Grammar School, Steyning, Sussex
Picture by Roger Baker

Very near to Steyning is Upper Beeding, also more picturesque:

King's Head, Upper Beeding
Picture by Tony Gardner

Bramber, also very nearby, is charming as well, with a castle ruin and a wonderful church:

Bramber Village
Picture by Jo

Bramber Church
Picture by Ian Roden

The countryside throughout this region is quite lovely and even if you were to live in Worthing, a short drive takes you out into the South Downs, which is very nice. I hope this helps.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:32 on 3rd June 2010

I agree with what Rob say's entirely. You might also like to have a look at the following link here on POE. It may give you an idea of what the place looks like.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/West_Sussex/Worthing

TeaLoverDenise
TeaLoverDenise
quotePosted at 19:07 on 3rd June 2010

Cheers Rob and Ron, and Rob - thanks for the pics. Lovely.

I'm not set on Worthing at all ! but hubby interviewed there years ago (when he lived in Plymouth) and has described it to me as a "English seaside retirement town". Now, I'm no expert - I'm American, after all! - but as I mentioned, I think you can tell a lot about a place by a Google image search and Worthing just is NOT cuttin' it for me! ha!

We have lived in America together for 6 years and are moving back to the UK soon. Our home here is for sale, and we've already shipped back most of our clothes and a couple of boxes of "stuff" but other than that, that's all we're coming over with.

Because my husband has family in London, Bristol and Plymouth, we're looking at areas within the M3/M4/M5 perimeter and want to - ideally - live/work in a village or at least live in a village and work nearby. 

I think the only reason Worthing appeared on his radar was because of a job opening. 

Thanks for your feedback. This is a superb forum. I could spend hours on here, but I'm just sneaking on and off because I'm at work. Smile

Denise

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:31 on 3rd June 2010
If London, Bristol, and Plymouth are areas of interest, I would have thought the M4 corridor through Berkshire and Wiltshire and villages in those counties might have been of interest as well. Wiltshire has some lovely ones to choose from and M4 access with them.
TeaLoverDenise
TeaLoverDenise
quotePosted at 13:54 on 4th June 2010
Cheers Paul. Yes, the push-pins on our map are on those areas, as well! Guess the trick is to get the job first, then find a nearby village to live in. I have a feeling that the job part is going to be the most difficult! Yell
 Please login to post to this thread...