Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Police Station, Salford Crescent, Salford, Lancashire

Salford

in the county of Greater Manchester

TT Races Isle of Man

Douglas

in the county of Isle of Man

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Wiltshire Horse?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ellie Hildebrand
Ellie Hildebrand
quotePosted at 14:05 on 10th June 2010
Thanks for responding everyone, and thanks Sue and Paul for web sites. I will check them out.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 18:16 on 10th June 2010
On 10th June 2010 01:16, Ellen Hildebrand wrote:

Thanks for responding Rob! That is exactly what I mean. Do you have any history of who is responsible or the age? I will visit Wiltshire next year and would like to see them along with Stonehenge. Are they close to each other?

Love your pic. There is nothing more beautiful than a sleeping child. (in more ways then one. lol)

Ellen: the site that Paul Hilton sent is excellent and will give you some good information (http://www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk/). Likewise, Sue and Paul's suggestions for a visit to Avebury and nearby Silbury Hill are excellent. If you need a very nice 15th century thatched B&B close to these attractions, let me know and I will email the information to you.

You might also want to visit the most famous of the white horses in Britain--the Uffington White Horse, which is in Oxfordshire in the Vale of the White Horse, just over the northeastern border of Wiltshire. Here is the National Trust webpage dealing with it:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-chl/w-countryside_environment/w-archaeology/w-archaeology-places_to_visit/w-archaeology-uffington_white_horse.htm.

The Uffington White Horse is the only chalk white horse that can confidently be dated to earlier than the 18th century--in fact it has recently been dated to the Late Bronze Age (about 3000 years ago), which is even earlier than the generally accepted theory that it had later Iron Age origins.

And that sleeping child is my sweet little granddaughter Eva Lucia.

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:10th June 2010 18:17
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:35 on 10th June 2010

Uffington is a nice village with a few other attractions too, such as the Tom Brown School Days Museum. 

Uffington, Oxfordshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Ellie Hildebrand
Ellie Hildebrand
quotePosted at 21:53 on 10th June 2010
Rob I would love to stay at a 15th century B&B, and thanks for thinking of me.
 Please login to post to this thread...