'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Breamore House, Nr Fordingbridge, Hampshire

Breamore

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Food and Drink habits

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 10:19 on 3rd July 2010

Hello everybody

Since I'm going to England in september, I'd like to know more about your food and drink habits. I hope you can tell my about it. I know a little about the english breakfast and the afternoon tea. But what do you eat at noon? And in the evening? What do you drink with your meals?

Thank you very much for answering me!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:55 on 4th July 2010

Hi Fleursavage. This is an easy one to answer so a little surprising that you haven't had a response yet. But hey, hang on in there because I am sure the members will not let you down.

My English breakfast (although not every day) would consist of fried eggs, bacon, sausage's, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans, fried bread, fried tomato, scrambled egg or a selection of any of the items listed. It would be 'washed down' with a glass of fruit juice, or maybe tomato juice and dribble of Worcester sauce, tea, and/or coffee. And I wonder why I am 22 stones in weight? Lol 

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 08:37 on 5th July 2010

Hi Ron

My goodness, you are eating all that early in the morning? I look very silly with only my cup of coffee or my fruit juice. Sometimes I add a slice of bread or toast... LOL

Black pudding?? I never heard of it!! 

And for lunch and dinner?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:39 on 5th July 2010

Black pudding is basically produced from pigs blood and cooked in intestine! If you haven't run off to the bathroom already, trust me it is actually very nice and something that has a pretty unique taste.

Lunch.....who eats lunch? We have a snack at 'lunchtime' Lol ...that is 'dinnertime' to most, but then we have dinner at about 6 pm!! Totally confused by now I bet?

Most will eat a snack (sandwich or similar) for 'lunch' at about midday to 13:00 hours and then have 'dinner' at about 17:00 - 18:00 hours.That said, if you were to have a meal out with a friend, perhaps for a meeting or special occasion, then it might well be referred to as 'lunch' and still go home to 'dinner' at night!.....Where's the spade? Lol

I might add, no I don't eat all that as in the post above but an English breakfast is likely to consist of any of those items which you can select as required. Oh by the way, we do eat cereals for breakfast also...

It's 10:40 Fleursavage, must go now, have to prepare my lunch! Lol

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 08:46 on 7th July 2010

Well Ron... I'm quite sure not to try black pudding when I go to England!!! I could recomment it to my husband though and not saying what it is, only afterwards. LOL

Only joking.

Your lunch it somewhat the same as here in the Netherlands. Just a sandwich (or tree or four for the very hungry). Our dinner is also about the same time as yours.

And what about your Afternoon tea? You have it every day? With scones, cream and jam?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:26 on 7th July 2010

>>>>And what about your Afternoon tea? You have it every day? With scones, cream and jam?

No, if anything it's something that visitors tend to want to try, believing it to be part of what we English do. In reality we might have scones, cream and jam if we ventured into Devon but thats it really, almost a myth! Lol

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 10:14 on 7th July 2010

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo! All my dreams are shattered!!!!!!!!! :(

But you do drink tea in the afternoon? Because we do!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:36 on 7th July 2010

I remember we had afternoon tea on Sundays when I was a kid and then we would have the tiny sandwiches, scones,  various cakes, etc. and tea to drink either Ceylon or Earl Grey.  I loved it!

You forgot morning coffee Ron - (sounds like we ate all day, lol!)  Usually around 10.30 in the morning with a biscuit or cake.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:26 on 7th July 2010

Hi Judi and CathyML...

Yes we do drink coffee in the morning......sometimes, and then we drink tea in the morning, sometimes

Fact is we drink tea anytime so long as it's made properly that is and if for example a mosquito were to fall into the cup whilst it was brewing, we grab the insect, give it a firm squeeze and say........spit it out! Lol

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 11:32 on 7th July 2010
If you made your tea properly Ron in a teapot the mosquito couldn't fall in, but you might get a fly in your cup after the tea is pored, lol!