Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Dean Clough Mills, Halifax

Halifax

in the county of West Yorkshire

A40 Ross on Wye

Ross-on-Wye

in the county of Herefordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Cotswolds

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 10:17 on 7th July 2010

Hi everybody,

I have a question about the Cotswolds. It is not clear to me if this is a county. And if it is, to what region does it belongs? I cannot find it on the map of this site when I choose a county/region. I hope you can explain this to me!

Thank you!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:12 on 7th July 2010
Hi Fleursauvage----the Cotswolds is a region covering several counties such as parts of Wiltshire. Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and bits of a few more.  You'll see it listed in the Menu under Attractions. 
Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 15:33 on 7th July 2010
Hi Paul, thank you! So the Cotswolds is a region, but not an official one, like West Midlands, South East, etc.?
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:32 on 7th July 2010

Hi Fleursauvage----since 1966, the Cotswolds have been designated as an Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty, covering 6 Counties.

Since 2006, AONB's have the same status as National Parks. 

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 22:02 on 7th July 2010

The Cotswolds are exceptionally beautiful, but high tourist season in the Cotswolds can be a frustrating experience (contending with tour buses and the like). There are many other less traveled but equally beautiful areas to visit in the region. For instance, you might want to also consider doing a "black and white" tour of some of the Herefordshire towns and villages, like Leominster (pronounced "lem-ster"), Weobley (one of my 10 favorite towns in England) and others in the area, which is full of beautiful countryside. Here is an interesting site that might make for a nice side trip:

http://www.royalforestofdean.info/herefordshire/black-and-whites.shtml

Weobley Church and Red Lion Pub, Weobley, Herefordshire
Picture by Roger Baker

Of course, I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to the Cotswolds (heavens, no!), just that off-season may be a better time to visit (in my opinion, at least).

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:7th July 2010 22:06
Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 08:42 on 8th July 2010

Thank you Paul and Rob, I understand completely now!

@Rob, I not considering going to the Cotswolds right now. I was looking over some areas in England, exploring the counties, to learn about it. Then I read about the Cotswolds, but I could not place it as a county. Thats why my question!

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 12:07 on 8th July 2010
On 8th July 2010 08:42, Fleursauvage wrote:

Thank you Paul and Rob, I understand completely now!

@Rob, I not considering going to the Cotswolds right now. I was looking over some areas in England, exploring the counties, to learn about it. Then I read about the Cotswolds, but I could not place it as a county. Thats why my question!

Ah. It is a lovely area.

So is Holland from what I understand--at least that's what my son tells me. In southwest Michigan, the state in which I live, much of the population is of Dutch descent. In Holland, Michigan, there is a yearly tulip festival and celebration by the area's population of its Dutch ancestry. And yes, there are a number of windmills in the area, but more for aesthetic effect than practical use!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:8th July 2010 13:19
Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 12:23 on 9th July 2010
On 8th July 2010 12:07, Rob Faleer wrote:
Ah. It is a lovely area.

So is Holland from what I understand--at least that's what my son tells me. In southwest Michigan, the state in which I live, much of the population is of Dutch descent. In Holland, Michigan, there is a yearly tulip festival and celebration by the area's population of its Dutch ancestry. And yes, there are a number of windmills in the area, but more for aesthetic effect than practical use!

I did not know this!!! I imagine there are a lot of people with Dutch last names also, are there?
 Please login to post to this thread...