'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Bone China Tea Room

Hay-on-Wye

in the county of Powys

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

differences in names - early 20th century

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 04:13 on 16th August 2010

Hello. I have another historical question for you all. I am sure you don't remember, but I am writing a book set in Suffolk 1940-1942.  Some of the main characters would have been born 1918-1922.

I know that at that time you could often (or always) tell the class of a person from their name. I could be wrong, if so, tell me. I have spent tons of time (too much probably) obsessing about the names of my characters. I found some really helpful sites about British surnames (National Trust, and British surname website - complete with a detailed 1881 census info on names per county, town, village!!!!!! So cool.

Anyway, it has been difficult finding statistics on  English baby names from 1920s. I assume that (in general) the top American names are similar to the top English names, but to make sure, I knew I could get some GOOD info from you (Peggy, Paul) 8-)  Oh and I am forgeting about class. Two of the families own farms (one is larger than the other).

From what I have read names like Elsie, Maisie, Polly, Molly, etc are so called "working class" and you wouldn't find a maid named Victoria, Alexandra, Helen or Catherine. Am I right?

But working class doesn't necessarily include well-to-do farmers...Oh, it is so confusing.. 8-)

I assume that Suffolk villagers at that time would have been church-goers and C of E. So would I be right in saying that names like Mark, Luke, Matthew. John, would be common? Or Henry, Charles, Robert. George?

Peggy, you're from Suffolk - any suggestions?

OK, hopefully you see what I am getting at.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:23 on 18th August 2010

just to help you out, Lara Lol!

Tom (short for Thomas) or Peter, or Will and Bill (short for William)

are ideal farming names of that era. Dont forget also that Mrs, Miss, Master or Mr was used as a prefix to someones name in that era also, especialy  talking to or about someone elderly or of a higher social standing.

Giles would be a forename of someone higher up the ladder whilst Giles also could be the surname of a farmer or house servant (ie butler).

If you could watch 'The darling buds of May' (try you Tube) it would give you some idea.  (Mike) 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:34 on 18th August 2010

I thought Paul would have jumped in and answered this one, using the British 1911 Census as a basis for early 20C names.  But you could look on Findmypast and check the naming patterns on the 1911 Census, you might have to use "pay as you go".  But it could be well worth while.

Another option would be to look on FREEBMD and check the registration of births say between 1918 and 1922 in Suffolk areas, that would give you a very good idea.  Also if it was common to give the children more than one name at that time.  I do know that in the latter part of the previous century many of the children were given their mother's/grandmothers' surname as a second name.

Thanks for bringing this back up Mike.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:39 on 18th August 2010
evening mike  nice to see you on.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 21:34 on 18th August 2010
*whispers* Hi Mike!!! Laughing
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 21:43 on 18th August 2010

Thank you, Mike and Cathy.

I have tried looking up names of characters from Agatha Christie novels (Miss Marple mostly) . I found some on imdb.com (the movie database)but the 'help' aren't always named. I might just go check out some Christie novels from the library. Actually, I am probably stressing out WAY to much about this. It's a sure sign of procratstination. :-)

thanks again.

L

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:59 on 24th August 2010
Hi James and Krissy (just 'lurking in the background lol!)
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 15:09 on 24th August 2010
Hey Mike, you lurk very well, hardly ever catch a glimpse of you, but it's great when you decide to "break cover", lol
Lara Zielinski-branks
Lara Zielinski-branks
quotePosted at 01:35 on 25th August 2010

I tried FREEBMD and it's really cool for names but it doesn't give any other info. I did go to the 1911 census and tried it; 6.95 pounds to view 6 records. Some of the records listed the farmer, wife, and family, plus servants (ages and where they came from, etc) so that was nice. For now that's all I want to spend on that. So thanks Cathy!

On amazon I found a very inexpensive used copy of East Anglia at War and that should be arriving soon.

8-) 

Please login to post to this thread...