'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WHAT DOES 'COTSWOLD' MEAN?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 10:56 on 8th November 2010

We are planning to visit the Cotswolds on our way north; we've heard and read and thanks to POE seen so much of them--but nowhere have we found out what 'The Cotswolds' means i.e.  a range of hills or confluence of rivers or what?  Thanks for your help.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 11:24 on 8th November 2010

"Cotswolds" derives from two words: "cot," which refers to stone sheep enclosures (derived from the Anglo-Saxon word "cote") and "wold," which means "bare hill" (also Anglo-Saxon in origin). The plural "wolds" denotes a series of rolling uplands. The area was made famous and wealthy over the centuries for its wool trade. One look at the many fine buildings in the various Cotswolds towns and villages presents ample evidence of that wealth.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first known reference to the term was recorded in 1306 in a petition appearing in the Rolls of Parliament under the title "Ecclesie de Newenton super Coteswalde."

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:59 on 8th November 2010
Thanks for that Rob. Learn something new on POE every day don't you?

Edited by: Ron Brind at:8th November 2010 16:00
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:33 on 8th November 2010
i knew it had a sheep connection --true
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 23:00 on 8th November 2010
Most of us Colonials don't know much about sheep or anything else for that matter.  Hard to believe Ron is one of us.
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 23:38 on 8th November 2010
On 8th November 2010 15:59, Ron Brind wrote:
Thanks for that Rob. Learn something new on POE every day don't you?

Hi Ron--just doin' me job, mate! How is Anna doing? For that matter, how are you holding up?
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 23:41 on 8th November 2010
On 8th November 2010 23:00, Linda-Mary Sigley wrote:
Most of us Colonials don't know much about sheep or anything else for that matter.  Hard to believe Ron is one of us.

Linda-Mary--I'm not sure you could class Ron as a Colonial. Baronial, possibly, but certainly not Colonial!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:8th November 2010 23:54
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 02:01 on 9th November 2010

Sorry, Ron, I meant Rob.  Must have been a typo.  However, even though Rob gives his location as USA does not mean he is one of us Colonials.  He may be a temporary or full-time expat.

I've never considered myself nor has my husband as true Americans.  We do not swill beer or make Super Bowl Sunday into an actual holiday, nor do we think handguns are a necessity of life.  My husband does not hunt nor fish--I deep sea fish and have since a child since my old Dad was a fisherman by trade (swordfish & albacore tuna).  My hubby does have a military medal for marksmanship so he taught me to fire a rifle.

My old Dad missed England a great deal.  Even tried to get my Mom to go back over with him c. 1935 to start a chicken & egg farm, but she threatened to divorce him over it and that was it.  However, they sent food over to England when shipments were allowed during & after WW II.  Lots of relatives over there  Well, I go on too long--happens when you turn 66.  Your real life is memories now.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 04:55 on 9th November 2010

Linda-Mary says "Well, I go on too long--happens when you turn 66.  Your real life is memories now."

Can't be true Linda-Mary because you are busy planning a trip to England where you will make many new memoriesSmile!

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 11:48 on 9th November 2010

Linda-Mary:  I figured that it was a typo, but any chance to tease Ron, you know, good man that he is!

I am indeed a Colonial born and bred--grew up on the east side of Detroit. My love of all things British stems mainly from my Ma, a Georgia mountain girl whose English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish ancestors mainly came over in the early to late 17th century. Through my mother's maternal side I also descend from the Creek and Choctaw Indian tribes. My paternal grandmother's family came over from Luton, Bedfordshire, at the end of the 19th century, and she is the one who gave me my taste for tea over coffee.

My mother's abiding love of things medieval was passed on to me and I have had the very good fortune of working in an academic position that allows me to come over to England on a semi-regular basis to do research on Gothic church architecture.

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:9th November 2010 12:31
1 2 3 4 5 Next >