'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Exeter Cathedral

Exeter

a Historic City in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WHAT DOES 'COTSWOLD' MEAN?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 19:36 on 10th November 2010
On 10th November 2010 15:48, Linda-Mary Sigley wrote:

Rob you have the perfect life--part in good old US of A and semi-regular jaunts to merrie olde England.  Your kin from the 17th C. may as well have come on the Mayflower . . .

. . . Costa Mesa, Calif.  where I was born and bred.  East side of Detroit--Grosse Pointe or someplace high falutin like that . . .

From the photo you use you look like you got a beauty who would fit in in Grosse Pointe.  More power to ya.

Linda-Mary--I have to say that I have been very fortunate in my chosen profession; I love my job . . . that's all there is to it! As to my ancestry and the Mayflower landing, my earliest European ancestor born in the Colonies came into this world in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, in 1620--four months before the Pilgrim landing at Plymouth Rock, and the son of a Welsh privateer named William Powell.

No, we didn't live in Grosse Pointe, but in nearby Harper Woods, a decidedly blue-collar neighborhood. Our house was, however, one block into the Grosse Pointe School System, so I did receive a first-rate education, though we were by no means "of the privileged class."

The beauty with whom I am dancing in my avatar is my lovely daughter Leah. The photo was taken at her wedding this past August at the Prado, Balboa Park, in San Diego. Her husband, who was my son's best friend at Oberlin College, is from Encinitas, which is not too far from your native Costa Mesa--and I could not ask for a better son-in-law!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:10th November 2010 19:43
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:50 on 10th November 2010
i also had a picture like yours rob taken at my daughters wedding.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 21:23 on 10th November 2010
Cathyml, you are a treasure and I am so happy to be on POE because of someone like you.  Most people can be quite cold perhaps without meaning it but they are .  You give me hope.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:28 on 10th November 2010
best wishes from me also linda-mary  take care
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 21:36 on 10th November 2010
On 10th November 2010 19:36, Rob Faleer wrote:
On 10th November 2010 15:48, Linda-Mary Sigley wrote:

Rob you have the perfect life--part in good old US of A and semi-regular jaunts to merrie olde England.  Your kin from the 17th C. may as well have come on the Mayflower . . .

. . . Costa Mesa, Calif.  where I was born and bred.  East side of Detroit--Grosse Pointe or someplace high falutin like that . . .

From the photo you use you look like you got a beauty who would fit in in Grosse Pointe.  More power to ya.

Linda-Mary--I have to say that I have been very fortunate in my chosen profession; I love my job . . . that's all there is to it! As to my ancestry and the Mayflower landing, my earliest European ancestor born in the Colonies came into this world in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, in 1620--four months before the Pilgrim landing at Plymouth Rock, and the son of a Welsh privateer named William Powell.

No, we didn't live in Grosse Pointe, but in nearby Harper Woods, a decidedly blue-collar neighborhood. Our house was, however, one block into the Grosse Pointe School System, so I did receive a first-rate education, though we were by no means "of the privileged class."

The beauty with whom I am dancing in my avatar is my lovely daughter Leah. The photo was taken at her wedding this past August at the Prado, Balboa Park, in San Diego. Her husband, who was my son's best friend at Oberlin College, is from Encinitas, which is not too far from your native Costa Mesa--and I could not ask for a better son-in-law!

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:38 on 10th November 2010
i think we have a crssed post   linda mary.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:19 on 10th November 2010

Knowing little about computers I goofed, so please forgive above,

Rob, about the son of Wm Powell, the privateer (uplifting profession), do you know what happened to him?  Dangerous place in 1620.  Look what happened to Virginia Dare, the first caucasian child born in what would become the USA.  She and her whole community disappeared with only the word Roanoke carved into a tree left.  Did they ever find out what happened to them?  Hadn't when I went to school.

Our family's claim to fame did not occur in 1620 & certainly not in No. America.  One of my ancestors did an enormously great deed for the Royal Stewart clan and our ancestor was given a name from the clan saying "Ailean-ach" which became Allanach which was my maiden name.(He was also given a castle).  Anyone with that name is related to me.  We found some here in CA but they both passed away about 5 yrs. ago at age 95.  There are 2 others who show up on the net besides my brother in Oregon.  Apparently we aren't prolific.  The castle passed to my old Dad in the early '50's but the back taxes on it were enormous so Dad had to give it to the Crown.  I hope it's in the Trust and being cared for, but it may have been left to ruin in the Highlan

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:36 on 10th November 2010
a bit of history there linda-mary lets have a bit more.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:38 on 10th November 2010

The rest of my post addressed to Rob disappeared!

Anyway what it said was I hope the lovely Leah and her young man from down Coast Hwy. in Encinitas have a long and happy life.  Yes, Encinitas for us in C.M. was just 3 mi. to Newport Beach and take a left turn on Coast Hwy and go south for awhile.  I'm sure her husband has been to the beaches in Corona Del Mar, Newport and the surfing heaven Huntington Beach (about 8 min. from our house).

quote | editPosted at 07:36 on 12th November 2010
Looks like Rob lit out on me and didn't even bid a fond farewell.  Wonder why?  Oh well, I guess those of us who have perfect lives and perfect jobs have much more important things to do.  Maybe it is because the entire clan saying contains the words "Ailean-ach" but there are other words in it.  They're in the book Clans, Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands (      w   wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww