'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WHAT DOES 'COTSWOLD' MEAN?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 12:41 on 12th November 2010
On 12th November 2010 07:36, unknown wrote:
Looks like Rob lit out on me and didn't even bid a fond farewell.  Wonder why?  Oh well, I guess those of us who have perfect lives and perfect jobs have much more important things to do.  Maybe it is because the entire clan saying contains the words "Ailean-ach" but there are other words in it.  They're in the book Clans, Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands

Linda-Mary:  Hmmm . . . I guess I feel like I have been scolded here. I have been away from POE a couple of days for personal reasons, and I assure you that I am not ignoring your last couple of posts. I think that you need to realize that people drop in and out of POE from time to time for any number of reasons. For you to assume that I have somehow written you off in so short a time is both unfair and discourteous. And just for the record, neither my life nor my job is perfect by any means, but I am happy in both. Also, the implication that I view myself as too important to answer you is simply incorrect.

I have read earlier in this thread that you are suffering from failing health, and for that I am truly sorry. I do hope that your situation improves and that you lead a long and full life. Of course, I can’t begin to understand your feelings or needs since I only know you via a couple of posts on this thread. I hope that this post will clear the air a bit and that we can continue a civil and even friendly discourse.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 16:22 on 12th November 2010

My login timed out as I was typing.  Figures!  Anyway the Clan book, which I bought in a shop on Princes St. in Edinburgh is stored in a bookcase in the garage so it's not handy for me to find the saying or perhaps it came from the slogan.  There is so much pageantry in a clan where you must either listen to or recite sentences that I simply only remember finding our name in Gaelic in an italicized sentence set out by itself on the page.  My relatives named Allanach (it was John & Helen) said that what I had found was correct so that is all I have to go by is the research I did and they did.  Some young boy from Plymouth, England wrote to my old Dad around 1968 or so to enquire about our genealogy, but Dad didn't know any (and I had yet to read the clan book ) so young Peter Allanach from Plymouth had to seek elsewhere.  Wonder if he is still in Plymouth?

As to more history James, I can tell you that the Lord Lyon King of Arms in Scotland  gave me some info that we were 'known Jacobites.'  I looked that up and it seems we backed James Stuart for the throne of England.  I don't think Jacobites were well looked on in those days, but after some dustup in 1688 I believe he did become king of England.  He was the rightful heir to the throne as was Mary Queen of Scots who I believe was his sister.  Elizabeth I was not the rightful heir ya know as she was illegitimate.  Her conscience had her put Mary in the Tower and then eventually behead her,  It was guilt, but Lizzie adored being queen.  But, she left no heirs so that is probably how James Stuart became king.  All I know is that we backed James who was a Scot so that figures, doesn't it.

Old Dad never talked about the castle except to Mom.  I overheard him telling her about it.  I must have been 7 or 8 yrs. old at the time and I was not confided in.  I think he felt bad that he had to give it up.  But all through the '50's the Crown was acquiring castles that way.  There were numerous stories in the newspapers here about people losing their inherited castles b ecause of that tax levy.  Odd.  Why hadn't the owners through the years paid those taxes?  All sounds like a land grab to me.

Ear chewed off yet?  That's all for now.  See ya later.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 22:49 on 12th November 2010
On 10th November 2010 22:19, Linda-Mary Sigley wrote:

Knowing little about computers I goofed, so please forgive above,

Rob, about the son of Wm Powell, the privateer (uplifting profession), do you know what happened to him?  Dangerous place in 1620.  Look what happened to Virginia Dare, the first caucasian child born in what would become the USA.  She and her whole community disappeared with only the word Roanoke carved into a tree left.  Did they ever find out what happened to them?  Hadn't when I went to school.

Our family's claim to fame did not occur in 1620 & certainly not in No. America.  One of my ancestors did an enormously great deed for the Royal Stewart clan and our ancestor was given a name from the clan saying "Ailean-ach" which became Allanach which was my maiden name.(He was also given a castle).  Anyone with that name is related to me.  We found some here in CA but they both passed away about 5 yrs. ago at age 95.  There are 2 others who show up on the net besides my brother in Oregon.  Apparently we aren't prolific.  The castle passed to my old Dad in the early '50's but the back taxes on it were enormous so Dad had to give it to the Crown.

Linda-Mary:

As to our Powells, I know only fleeting details on the family, but they were the direct ancestors of my Jones family in Rabun Co., Georgia, in the far NE part of the state.

What was the name of the castle that was presented to your Allanach ancestors. Since your father ceded it to the Crown, it may now be in the possession of the National Trust for Scotland. Back taxes will get you every time!

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 00:41 on 14th November 2010

As stated in my previous post I only overheard my old Dad telling my mother about the castle after he received the communication from whomever sends things out like that.  As I also stated, I was not confided in and neither of them ever talked about it again where the 6 or 7 yr. old was in earshot.  When I was that age I told my parents' friends and acquaintances who came to our lovely home on Victoria St. everything--even my parents' bank balance.  I was quite the outgoing child and a real talker and I'm sure my parents were most embarrassed by me.

As to my post, it still was a little odd not to finish up what had been quite a conversation and I admit I was a bit miffed and you, yourself said all was perfect in a previous post.  It is only reasonable to assume you have what is called "a perfect life" when you have an advanced education and have had a wonderful mother and grandmother and you said you loved your job and then for all to see and read a lovely, healthy daughter who is able to be married in a very expensive place like the Prado.  Sorry, sir, but you fit the bill of what I said.  Then you embase me.

No, I am not merely in poor health.  I am dying.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 00:46 on 14th November 2010
And I am not asking anyone's sympathy.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 00:57 on 14th November 2010

My computer must be messed up again because I did not click post twice.  Also there must be a bug in this program when on a couple of previous posts it merely says "joined 1 January 1970."  POE wasn't founded till 2001 and I joined on 27 July 2010.  I think this web site needs to be "souped up" as Amazon did theirs as it carries way too much info for its capacity.  SO PLEASE EVERYONE ADOPT A TOWN, CITY OR VILLAGE!" I am next March.  We just lost a lot on an investment so can't right now.  And I am not embasing myself.  When you're in my circumstances you don't really care what anyone thinks anymore on this earth--only God counts now.

All this from simply asking "What does 'Cotswold' mean?"

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 11:07 on 14th November 2010

Hi Linda-Mary, what often creates a double posting is if you click "Refresh" instead of clicking "Latest Posts."

If you see "joined 1 January 1970" next to your message this can happen if the Post (this message box here) is kept open for too long before sending the post itself.  Is it possible that this might have happened to you?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:37 on 14th November 2010

Thanks for explaining that to Linda-Mary, CathyML and you are correct of course, it will time out if it goes past the hour!

Rob, thank you also for responding the way you did. You are also correct in that POE people look in now and again, drift away for whatever reason, have their work and life to get on with so inevitably we can't all be here all of the time.

Linda-Mary - Anna and I are so sorry to hear of your concerns but thank you also for considering supporting POE by Sponsoring a Town, City etc. Your reference to "joined 1 January 1970." in the post above is the default for when a post exceeds the time allotted, eg; one hour.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 00:46 on 15th November 2010
So, Linda-Mary, how about a reset here? We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot, which I think is unfortunate for both of us (perhaps we can lay the blame on those infernal Cotswolds!). POE is more than just a posting site--it is a family. And just like any other family, sometimes "siblings" have misunderstandings. I apologize if I have caused you any embarassment or hurt--I certainly didn't mean to as I was simply relating how I felt about your post. Please know that I harbor no hard feelings toward you and I hope that you feel the same way. Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this offer of an olive branch.
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 11:04 on 15th November 2010

Thank you to all for your consideration and advice

I must go now as today is my 35th wedding anniversary.