Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

East beach, Charmouth, Dorset

Charmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Question about SHAKESPEARE'S BIRTHPLACE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 12:19 on 26th December 2010
Can anyone tell me if Shakespeare's family (parents, brothers, sisters, etc.) continued to live in the house shown here on POE.  I have a specific reason for asking this question which I will reveal if someone knows the answer to my question.  Thanking you in advance.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:20 on 26th December 2010

This article might help with the background of the Shakespeare house.

http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/content/view/47/47/

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:39 on 26th December 2010

Well there you go Linda, thanks to Paul we might now hear what you have to reveal...

I'm going to guess that you are a distant relative?

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 09:26 on 27th December 2010

You're always in there trying Ron.  You're the best!

Paul, I would say YES sir, you led me to the correct answer and I will send you an email with the reason in it.  It may or may not mean anything to you, but if you know anyone to whom it would be of interest feel free to tell them.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:27 on 29th December 2010

William Shakespear spent his early teenage years at Hoghton Towers in Lancashire. He 'served' under the name of Shakeshaft whilst being 'schooled' in this wealthy Catholic family in a time when to be of this faith was very dangerous. Members of my family married into this family (de Hoghton) and vice versa around the same time. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoghton_Tower 

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:00 on 29th December 2010

furthur reading -

http://www.enotes.com/ocs-encyclopedia/shakeshaft-william

Hoghton Towers was at this time a noteable Catholic House, along with many other noble Catholic families in the area that settled on lands given to them by William the Conquerer or by marraige. At the time of Shakespear wealthy Catholics had to pay extremley large annual 'fines'  or imprisonment if they they continued their faith. Non wealthy Catholics were simply imprisoned or put to death. 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 06:22 on 11th January 2011
Lancashirelove, that is the kind of information that greatly interests me.  Thank you for putting it in here for all to see.  I wonder if St. Edmund Campion ever hid out with any of those wealthy Catholic families whilst he went about England preaching and saying mass in priest "holes?"  Ever heard of "Campion's Brag?"  He wrote to the Queen proclaiming he would always be her loyal subject and that was supposed to be "bragging."  No, he simply had the courage to give up his place at court, take time in Ireland to think, then go on to Douai in France and go to seminary.  After ordination he sneaked back into his beloved homeland to serve the people he loved--the English people--the finest, most civilized people the world has ever known.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:51 on 11th January 2011
FR John Gerrard (google him) the catholic priest and a decendant of The Gerrards of Brynn (Lancashire) of which I'm also decended, schooled through Oxford and traveled the area hiding in 'priest holes' constructed by his friend. he was known to the 'gun-powder plotters' and royals of the time, spending time and torture in the tower of london before escaping to France and Rome. perhaps interest in this issue is of the same? (mike Gerrard)
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 13:01 on 11th January 2011
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 13:04 on 11th January 2011
1 2 3 4 Next >