'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Heage Windmill, Derbyshire

Heage

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

QUESTIONS ABOUT OXFORD UNIVERSITY

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 06:42 on 18th March 2011

Just a couple of queries.

What is the Radcliffe Camera used for?

Why is the connector bridge between buildings called 'The Bridge of Sighs?'

Prior to the 16th C. weren't all students obligated to attend Holy Mass every morning?

Is Merton Hall named for Thomas Merton, Trappist monk and author of 'The Seven Storey Mountain?'

Addendum:  I've never seen a more unusual and beautiful university anywhere.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:17 on 18th March 2011

To get you started Linda-Mary the Radcliffe Camera is part of the Bodleian Library - not open to the public and used as reading rooms here in Oxford University.

As Arne said.....'I'll be back'....that is unless somebody answers the other questions before me.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:35 on 18th March 2011

The Bridge of Sighs real name is Hertford Bridge, though supposedly resembles the Bridge of Sighs in Venice, built in 1914 connecting the old and new Quadrangles of Hertford College.

It was also reputed that in the '60s, Ronnie Lane of The Small Faces spent a day in Oxford with the musical result of their hit, Itchycoo Park....... 

Over Bridge of Sighs,

to rest my eyes in shades of green.

Under dreaming spires,

to Itchycoo Park that's where I've been.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:18th March 2011 11:10
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 10:55 on 19th March 2011

Thank you, gentlemen.  I was fascinated by the Radcliffe camera due to its unusual shape--so different than the other architecture around it.  I'm sorry I would not be able to go inside, but I bet our Bill Clinton went in when he was a Rhodes Scholar.  I had heard of the library long ago, but now got to see it.

So it's the Hertford bridge.  Looks convenient for the students.

I'm from the '60's but had never heard of 'Small Faces' nor their hit record.  I guess it didn't do very well in USA though the other duos and groups in what was known here as 'The British Invasion' certainly left their mark.  My old Dad loved 'Ferry Cross the Mersey' because it reminded him of his youth in Liverpool.

I hope someone can answer the rest of my questions.  Possibly Lancashirelove?

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 14:31 on 20th March 2011

Ron and Paul we can cross off query #4                                         

I googled Thomas Merton and he went to Cambridge where he was an atheist, a drinker, a womanizer (one scandal with a young woman there had to be 'paid for' by his rich relative), and a gambler and had no interest in religion whatsoever.  Fascinating Trappist monk don't you think?  The oddest people get called by God.  He was a peace activist in the '60's.  But a strange fate awaited him in Bangkok where he had gone to participate in an interfaith meeting.  There was apparently a faulty fan in his room and he tripped over the power cord and was electrocuted.

I thought that was a nice spicy anecdote!!

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:44 on 20th March 2011

I guess when you ask questions, you just don't know what might turn up from them do you?  Indeed, one of our forum members relations was President of one of Oxford's colleges for around 16 years.

After the Small Faces disbanded in 69, they came back with a new line up and lead singer, Rod Stewart, with revised name of The Faces. 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 06:32 on 21st March 2011

One certainly doesn't know what will come of asking questions.  I had never even thought that the famous (in USA) author of The Seven Storey Mountain had such a past.

YES, I certainly know Rod Stewart and his original group.  See I screamed, ha ha.  This business of capitals being screaming is ridiculous.  It's emphasis, that's all.  Rod lives here in California but I'm positive he has a home in England.  I think he's terrific.  My favorite is 'Maggie May.'  No one sounds like Rod.

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 06:58 on 21st March 2011
On 20th March 2011 15:44, Paul Hilton wrote:

I guess when you ask questions, you just don't know what might turn up from them do you?  Indeed, one of our forum members relations was President of one of Oxford's colleges for around 16 years.

After the Small Faces disbanded in 69, they came back with a new line up and lead singer, Rod Stewart, with revised name of The Faces. 

Do you mean that one of Ron's relatives was President of one of the Oxford colleges.  My, what an honor.  My only claim to fame is one of my distant relatives came over on the Mayflower in 1620.  That's a big thing in America.  But, old Dad came over in 1927 at 19 yrs. old by stowing away!  I come from a rather adventurous family.  My Dad had a very dangerous profession--Swordfishing.  Out on a plank with a harpoon.  But it paid well.

This is supposed to be about Oxford University and we've got Rod Stewart and my ancestry in it.   Oh, well.

I think I'll google Oxford and see if there is anything about the pre-fifteenth century in it.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:03 on 21st March 2011

>>>Do you mean that one of Ron's relatives was President of one of the Oxford colleges.

If that is the case Linda-Mary I don't know anything about it so once again over to our clever Paul (But I don't expect it to be me!) lol

Either way, well done Paul....again!!

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 08:48 on 21st March 2011

Why Ron, of course it has to be one of your relatives!  After all, you are the Lord Mayor of Wheatley, aren't you?  There's a rumor here that you were once Chancellor of England.                                             

I found the history of Oxford University.  A de Merton was one of the founders and wrote the college regulations.  That's why there is a Merton Hall and Merton College (unless you use hall and college interchangeably.  We use college and university interchangeably)              

I don't know why de Merton is called a founder.  He was around in 1249.  The text said the university started in the 11th C.  I happen to know it was begun by Catholic priests who wanted more education and they had a disagreement and that's when Cambridge got started.  Same for the University of Paris.  I'll wager that Paul knows this is true.  See Paul, I read too--well now and then lol.  Actually I am reading a non-fiction book right now.