Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Looking towards Minster Cliffs and the Leas  Minster, Isle of Sheppey

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

A snowy Broadstairs Harbour, Kent

Broadstairs

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Lyford Grange??

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 03:25 on 11th July 2012

Not sure of spelling, only heard the name spoken in a short video.

What is the location of Lyford Grange? Is it a farm, farm village or stately home? It existed in the 16th C. is all I know about it. It is where Edmund Campion was captured. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:08 on 11th July 2012

Have a look at the following link Linda-Mary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyford,_Oxfordshire and all will be explained.

Lyford Grange is less than 20 miles from where we live here in Oxfordshire Linda-Mary and when I go that way again I will take some pictures for you. That said, I didn't look beforehand here on POE to see if there were any submitted already, I am betting there are pictures available!

I will now have a look.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:10 on 11th July 2012

Surprisingly nothing available on POE Linda-Mary so will have to have a trip out to get some pictures, that is unless Paul beats me to it! lol

Watch this space!

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 02:21 on 14th July 2012

Yes, I had looked on POE for Lyford Grange and got the No Results message.

I would never ask you to make a special trip of 20 miles. Just if you and Anna happened to be going that way.

When I was in England I took the train nearly everywhere I went. Marvelous trains back then. I hope that has not changed. And I was safe as houses. 

Jaydon Cubeno
Jaydon Cubeno
quotePosted at 07:57 on 8th August 2012
On 11th July 2012 09:08, Ron Brind wrote:

Have a look at the following link Linda-Mary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyford,_Oxfordshire and all will be explained.

Lyford Grange is less than 20 miles from where we live here in Oxfordshire Linda-Mary and when I go that way again I will take some pictures for you. That said, I didn't look beforehand here on POE to see if there were any submitted already, I am betting there are pictures available!

I will now have a look.

this is perfect answer with the complete answer. 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 06:42 on 9th August 2012

Thank you, Jaydon. And a hearty welcome to POE! I did find the village of Lyford on Wikipedia and Edmund Campion also. Lyford Grange is near the village. A festival is held at Lyford each year on 1 December in honor of Fr. Campion.

I think England is the most wonderful place--it is a magical land. None other like it. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:36 on 21st August 2012
Linda-Mary, you might also be interested in the connection between St Edmund Campion and Stonor House in Oxfordshire. It was at Stonor House that Edmund Campion had his printing-press and he no doubt spent much time there. I am fortunate to live within twenty minutes drive of Stonor and often walk past the house. I see you have already commented on my picure in connection with the long history of Catholic Recusancy which was very strong in this part of Oxfordshire.Stonor House and Chapel
Picture by Edward Lever

Please login to post to this thread...