Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Brook Cottage, Kedington, Suffolk

Kedington

in the county of Suffolk

Rye

Rye

a Seaside Town in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The former home of C S Lewis - the Kilns, in Oxford, England.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 17:04 on 14th May 2008
Hi Ricardo. Welcome to the site. Dont ask me about things like that, I'm a neanderthal when it comes to literature. Thanks for joining in the forum we need more people joining in here.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
L
L
quotePosted at 20:32 on 14th May 2008
And I'm a neanderthal-ess if theres such a word lol Undecided
Ricardo Malagueño
Ricardo Malagueño
quotePosted at 12:35 on 23rd May 2008

Regarding my previous post, I unburied my copy of the movie Shadowlands and I believe that if the house shown there is not the real one of Lewis', they were very lucky to find one that looks exactly the same. But I think that Ron has the final word in this, since he knows the house better than anyone, so watch the movie again when you have time and let us know.

But I am particularly curious about some scene in which Anthony Hopkins (Lewis) and Debra Winger (Joy) go outside the house and get to a pond (a beautiful scene in the middle of the afternoon mist), and Hopkins says that the "lake" was a place where "the poet Shelley used to play with paper ships". Well, usually movies tend to romanticize things but I was wandering if that was true, I mean: is there a pond/lake in the house garden? Was Shelley playing there sometime? Again, Ron must have the answer.

Finally, I agree that houses like this should not only be preserved but kept open to visitors, specially when the original furniture and memorabilia is still inside. One of my sure destinations in my future trip to England is to visit Jane Austen's house.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:48 on 23rd May 2008

Ricardo, I will let you know about the house as soon as I can find our copy of Shadowlands and find time to watch it through again. As for the pond, or as we refer to it the 'lake' yes it does exist. The area was in fact where the clay was dug out in the late nineteenth century by members of my own family and others, to produce hand made bricks with wooden paddles, which were then fired in the brick kilns on site and finally stored in the brick drying barn that was once opposite the former Lewis home as it is today. Hence from the once thriving brick industry came the name the kilns. The whole site was eight or nine acres in extent, very different to the small area that the house occupies today. 

Apparently, poet Shelley did sail paper boats on the lake, a beautiful area it once was but sadly in my opinion today a festering cess pit full of weed, red and white algae at different times of the year, more dog crap than you can imagine on the paths created by the Wildlife Trust because 'responsible owners' don't clear up after them, enough mosquito's to eat you alive, horse flies during June/July and a distinct possibility that you could even collect a tick from the undergrowth. On top of all that the lake is dead! Trust me, I could go on and on...

Reference the former Lewis home, I am pleased to announce that after years of pushing for a plaque to be erected on the home (via my book in particular) in recognition of this great man, they have finally requested permission for exactly that.....a Blue Plaque! Yippeeee!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:14 on 1st February 2009
Hi again Ricardo, I can now tell you that it wasn't the house although certain parts do look very similar. With a certain amount of pressure the house now has a plaque affixed to record who once lived there, and they are now opening the home for internal visits on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. There is still a lot to do but I am working on it, and always will!
Ricardo Malagueño
Ricardo Malagueño
quotePosted at 10:58 on 4th February 2009

Ron, I can't believe that it took you so long to get permission for the plaque. I constantly see examples of places beautifully preserved all across England, as it is your excellent tradition. That's why it is difficult to understand why a place like The Kilns so dear to the British culture was kept closed to visitors. How did it happen that an American person is the owner of Lewis's house? Did Douglas have any children that inherited the house?

Congratulations for all the trouble you take to do things right!

By the way, I am absolutely horrified to read what they are doing to "the land of Narnia",  cutting down trees in the woodland that inspired the story. I hope this will stop soon.

Death to Harry Potter!!!!!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:46 on 4th February 2009

Ricardo, I refer to the absence of an appropriate plaque at the 'Kilns' in my guidebook along with in my opinion, the need to have something in Westminster Abbey! The owners of the 'Kilns' finally got around to requesting the plaque rather than me personally, but I honestly believe it was because of the amount of pressure applied.

The 'Kilns' dear to British culture? I think not Ricardo, sadly people here in Oxford barely recognise the name C S Lewis!

Douglas does have children but they did not inherit the house. The daughter of Mrs Janie King-Moore (Maureen - Lady Dunbar) was the one who inherited and I believe responsible for the demise of the 'Kilns' (the plot of land in total that is) by offering some eight plots for sale within the eight acres that was Lewis' home.

My understanding is that Douglas Gresham did once own (in partnership with others) the 'Kilns' which was offered to the American organization back in 1982. I feel that he should have restored it for the sake of all those visitors who wish to see inside and Britains Christian Heritage!

I am also pleased to confirm that the cutting down of the tree's has stopped, but who knows for how long? The lake at the back of the house is pretty well dead with no obvious signs of fish, and the locals take their dogs up into the so-called Reserve for excercise, and then leave the dog 'deposits' behind for everybody else to tread in! The pathways are often a disgrace and the Horse flies and Mosquito's will eat you alive during the summer months!

Death to Harry Potter! So funny Ricardo but again my understanding is that J K Rowling was infuenced by C S Lewis. If so she had a good teacher didn't she? 

Please login to post to this thread...