Baslow

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of Bardney

Bardney

in the county of Lincolnshire

Tram, Seaton, Devon.

Seaton

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cricket Grounds visited where does it lead?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Victor Isaacs
Victor Isaacs
quotePosted at 12:39 on 9th November 2007

Until retirement 2 years ago my work during the summer months took me all around England, and to all the County Cricket grounds.

There were such a variety of these from the austere Derby and Leicester, to the beautiful grounds of Worcester and Arundel.

Trips to the seaside included Hove, home of Sussex CCC, Bournemouth where Hampshire (my team) played, Southend (Essex), Swansea, Colwyn Bay (Glamorgan), Folkestone (Kent), Blackpool (Lancashire), Weston-super-Mare (Somerset) and Scarborough (Yorkshire).

Over 30 years the road systems changed and motorways came more to the fore, but if I had a day to get to my destination, I would make a point of diversifying somewhere for lunch. Stratford on Avon was a favorite, best Thai restaurant I've been too. Off the beaten track get lost and find myself again, before finally ending up in the hotel.

I once stopped on my way to a match in Manchester at Matlock Bath for lunch, lovely Old English restaurant there, the place was pretty full, and being on my own, the waitress asked if I mind sharing a table with this smart looking young lady.  Well we got got chatting about the countryside then onto my work in cricket. Well she was a cricket lover, well to cut a long story short, we have been married 28 years and have two wonderful children.

So the moral is, don't just stick to the bland motorways, get off the beaten track, I cannot promise you will find a wife :), but you will discover the better parts of this wonderful country.

Anyone else got some cricket grounds visited? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Heavenly
Heavenly
quotePosted at 16:00 on 16th November 2007
On 9th November 2007 12:39, Victor Isaacs wrote:

I once stopped on my way to a match in Manchester at Matlock Bath for lunch, lovely Old English restaurant there, the place was pretty full, and being on my own, the waitress asked if I mind sharing a table with this smart looking young lady.  Well we got got chatting about the countryside then onto my work in cricket. Well she was a cricket lover, well to cut a long story short, we have been married 28 years and have two wonderful children.

Hello Victor, I think thats a lovely tale about how you met your wife - very romantic! Smile and what luck that she liked cricket too, it must have been fate! Smile
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 18:06 on 15th August 2008

I just found this post by Victor (gotta love the avatar).

I am in such agreement with Victors recommendation  don't just stick to the bland motorways, get off the beaten track.

Sometimes we are so set on getting somewhere, and so scared of 'getting lost' that we plug in our TomToms (no idea how to spell it) and get from A to B as quickly as possible.

I've learned that we can never really be lost, especially in England, as all roads lead to home, eventually.

What an adventure it might be if we got lost now and again.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 19:36 on 15th August 2008

My Dad always took us up farm tracks Sue back in the 70's! The one time we were being followed by friends in another car and we had to turn round in a farm yard - a poor old lady was sitting on her bench while these cars turned around in her front yard!

That is a lovely story from Victor - I'm a great believer in fate! 

Victor Isaacs
Victor Isaacs
quotePosted at 20:38 on 15th August 2008

Just following up on this story, Brenda and I still love to get off the beaten track and often refer to our chance meeting at Matlock Bath, when we sit down for lunch.

As a follow up we were presented with a beautiful grandson on 5th August, Nathan. 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:51 on 15th August 2008

Oh, condratulations Victor! 

To you, your wife, your children and your grandson.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 20:56 on 15th August 2008
That's wonderful Victor! Congratulations!
L
L
quotePosted at 22:19 on 15th August 2008
Congrats from me too Victor! Tell me are you asleep in your avatar pic or just had too much from that bottle thats next to you? SurprisedWink
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:52 on 16th August 2008
Hello Victor.  I don't believe we've met.  Congratulations on the new addition ot the family.
Victor Isaacs
Victor Isaacs
quotePosted at 11:22 on 16th August 2008
The avatar pic was taken by some friend at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai, India during a rather dull cricket match. The bottle? I'm sure that belonged to someone else.