Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Lowestoft Sea front..

Lowestoft

a Seaside Town in the county of Suffolk

Rye

Rye

a Seaside Town in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Return of The Lakeland Meanderer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:42 on 8th September 2011

WOW!!!!! SUN TODAY!!!!!  

Yes we actually had sun today, later rather than earlier but it did arrive at last. Rubbish morning with rain again and as already decided didn't do the Westmoreland Show, much as we would have liked to but went south down the eastern side of Lake Windermere towards Newby Bridge then across to Haverthwaite where I would have liked to stop for half an hour to have a look round the steam railway but again common sense versus rain came into play. So we carried on upto Coniston where there was definite break in the clouds. At least this drive gave us the opportunity to find loads of places for potential stops and walks for future visits. Round the top of the lake and down the east side for a short way to find a picnic area where we had our packup overlooking a dismal, but rapidly improving vista. Just as we were about to head back to the cottage the SUN started to break through, so we went back to Coniston and took a short walk down towards Torver but as we had only paid for 2 hours parking we had to turn round. As we did so the sun was getting warmer and the waterproof jackets came off and it was t-shirt weather again!!! Had a quick walk to the landing stages for the pleasure cruises and I'm sure we saw the same swans and cygnets that we saw back in July, only the cygnets were a lot bigger of course. As we returned to Ambleside we decided  to turn off at Skelwith Bridge and take a short detour to Elterwater initially for a quick pint at the Britannie Inn, which turned into two......then, as we had 2 hours free parking we took a little stroll along the stream, which was quite full to say the least. A weir a little way up gave us the opportunity to watch fish leaping, not something you see every day. A little way further was a bridge which lead to another pub, Wainwright's Inn in the little hamlet of Chapel Stile. Needless to say we just had to stop and have another pint. But again it gave us some more ideas for future adventures. They serve food there on an evening and it's only a few miles from Ambleside so there is another good idea for next year. Finally got back to the cottage feeling a lot better about the week, at least we had seen some sun......and it was quite warm. A very nice lady on the local TV news (not Susanna unfortunately!!!) seems to think we might be in for a reasonably good day tomorrow, so at least we might get a decent walk in.... Just got to decide where we are going to eat tonight now, big decision. The Unicorn Inn won last night and the trout was absolutely superb. So I think it will be Anne's choice tonite, so possibly Indian.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:18 on 9th September 2011

Just to finish offlast night's post, Anne decided on a Chinese takeaway, which I can't say i objected to it 'cos the nearest takeaway to us is brilliant. House Special Curry with Fried Rice......excellent

Anyway what about today.......well, very much to our surprise it started with Rain!!!, only light drizzly rain but was quite expensive rain it cost a new pair of walking shoes for me, the soles were practically smooth in my old ones,. It cost a new pair of walking boots for Anne, for no other reason than she liked the colour.....must be a woman thing!!!! My boots are still OK only aboiut a year old. Plus a few more odds and ends that will come in handy for other walking trips, not to mention the next visit here. Still raining after an hour or so round the shops so went back to the cottage for an early lunch. By about 1.30 it had cleared up and the sun was trying to break through so we set of for relatively short 4-5 mile walk from Ambleside to Rydal Water then over the tops to Grasmere where we had 15 minute sitting by the lake watching the ducks, all very exciting eh ! ! ! Then carried on into Grasmere village and as time was getting on we decided to catch a bus back to Ambleside......about 15 minutes as opposed to best part of 2 hours if we had walked back. Quick brew when we got back in started packing......which took less than on hour. About 7pm decided to go the the Queens Hotel for our last meal of the week. were fully intending to go for a couple more beers but silly wife had forgotten her ciggies so we had to go back to the cottage to retrive them. But as it had started rainind again we decided to stay in, Anne still has half a bottle of wine to finish and i might have a drop of whisky, but not a lot 'cos we like to be away early...7.30 ish.

Well, that's about all for this week folks, just a pity it was not quite as eventful for both us and all of you. Better luck next time I hope. Just got to sort through all the photos to see if anything is worth posting. Sure i'll find someting even if they are full of dark and dramatic clouds.

quote | editPosted at 23:30 on 9th September 2011
Its now 11.25pm and I read "Special Curry with Fried Rice", will not sleep now Dave for thinking about Chinese curry !  Good luck with the photo sorting.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 18:26 on 10th September 2011

Well, that's about all for this week folks, just a pity it was not quite as eventful for both us and all of you. Better luck next time I hope. Just got to sort through all the photos to see if anything is worth posting. Sure i'll find someting even if they are full of dark and dramatic clouds.

I loved every minute of it, Dave.  Thanks a million.  Can't wait to see the pix.

Please login to post to this thread...