Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

International Air Monument

Plymouth

in the county of Devon

Penshaw Monument, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear

Penshaw

in the county of Tyne & Wear

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Meandering Lakelander Returns

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 00:19 on 9th September 2012

Well, here we go folks, another few days worth of inane banter and general rubbish from the Lake District.

So far so good with the weather. Left home around 9.15 dry and overcast and was in ASDA Kendal doing a bit of shopping about 1200 followed by a quick trip into Wilkinsons Camera shop to collect a new lens. Sigma 17-70 to replace the Canon 18-55 that I aheve never been satisfied with. Arrived at my cottage just before 1.30. The day had brightened up by now I had bright warm sunshine so the car was unloaded very quickly, food put away but all other bags just dropped in the floor. The walking boots were extracted from their bag and the socks dug out  of the case. The camera and lenses were were released from their bags and i was out of the door just after 2.00.Took a short yet sometimes precarious trip to Stock Ghyl waterfalls, not too bad but despite the rain that has been around recently not particularly full. On the way to the falls noticed a few wasps around and found they had a built a nest in hole in the ground. Quite fascinating but as I detest wasps (just cannot see the point in their existance) I passed them by quite quickly. From there I made my way back to the village and on to High Sweden Bridge, a very small but picturesque packhorse bridge. Did this a couple of years ago and had forgotten just how steep the track is in parts. Very sunny and quite warm by now so by the time I reached High Sweden Bridge and took off the rucksack my shirt was quite damp to say the least. Spent while taking pics of the bridge and surrounding area and then made my way back to Ambleside. As the lane for the return journey opens out almost opposite the Golden Rule pub I called in for a couple of well earned and very refreshing pints of a lovely brew called Dizzy Blonde. Got chatting to a couple who arrived not lang after and it turns out they live about 30 miles from me......very small world. By now it was somewhere around 6.00pm so i had a quick stroll round the village and called back at the cottage to rid myself of the rucksack and went straight back out again down to the Pierhead and Borrans field as it looked like a decent sunset was on the cards but it didn't materialise. Got back to the cottage sometime after 8.00 and finally unpacked and put clothes and things away. Had a shower and shave and finally sat down at about 9.30 and put the tv on. Not a lot on so had the fim on 3.10 to Yuma. Not he original with Van Heflin but the remake with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. While the film was on looked through the photos I took during the afternoon and evening and think there may be a few worth uploading to POE.....when I get he chance. Met office weather for Sunday seems OK until early evening when rain is expected so an eralyish start may be on the cards to do the walk I want to do before the weather turns for the worse. Well if that hasn't bored you all to tears I will try a bit harder tomorrowWink   

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:04 on 9th September 2012

CryCryCry

Laughing Glad the weather held good for you and hope you got out and about and some great shots today as well! 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:27 on 10th September 2012

Sunday's report a bit late cos i was typing it out on Sunday night and going well, when somewhere along the line I pressed some wrong button, probably cos I was half watching Gladiator on the TV, subsequently pressed another button without studying all the options and lost the ruddy lotCry. It was 1230 by then and i gave up and went to bed. So i will start again now and hope i rememeber what i wanted to say

The day dawned dry but very misty and I could not see the playing fields 200 yards away let alone Loughrigg Fell which was to one of my aims for the day. By 0830 the sun had burnt through and the original plan for the day was a goer. Rucksack packed and camera and bits ready I was out of the door before 0900. A steady stroll through the playing field and out onto the backroad towards Pelter Bridge and headed toward Rydal Water but turned off to Rydal Mount. It was still relatively early but the reasonable had persuaded quite a lot of people to take advantage and get out. From Rydal Mount it was across the old 'coffin road' along the side of Nab Scar. Called the Coffin Road because before St Mary's church in Ambleside was consecrated the dead had to be taken to Grasmere for burial. Was collared by at least 2 groups of people who asked me to take full group pics of them on their cameras. Towards the end of the coffin road is the turn off to Alcock Tarn which was my first objective of the day.. The sign showed 1 1/4 miles and must have taken at least an hour, maybe a bit more, up a seriously steep gradient, 1 in 4 (25%) and steeper in parts. Lots of others tackling it as well so it was quite busy route both up and down. Apparently the majority who tackle to climd return by the same route as the northern descent is decidely risky to say the least. Anyway funally reached to top and the small lake of Alcock Tarn. Found a suitable piece of bankside to sit and partake of my lunch whils t amusing myself by throwing little bits of bread into the shallows and watching hundred of tiny fish attack and demolish with amazing speed. A little wander a bit further along the lake to see for any photo opportunities but the like was so hazy it was hardly worth bothering but who knows there may be something there when i get to look at them properly. Back down the way I came, not the day for risking life and limb, and going down only took about 20 minutes. From the bottom it was a very easy stroll into Grasmere where i had a much deserved ice cream on the vallage green, along with countless others. From Grasmere it was off down the west side of the lake to the bottom of Loughrigg, a very easy stroll so plenty of time to get my breath back before attacking the fairly gentle but very long, trudge up Loughrigg Terrace which gives, on a good day, commanding views of Grasmere and the flls to the north. However at the end of this relatively easy stretch comes a very sharp left turn which heads up to thevery top of Loughrigg which was my 2nd main objective of the day. What a climb. As steep if not steeper than the track up to Alcock Tarn, with countless false flats and 'pretend' summits. You see what seems like the top only to get there and realise there is another 400 yards to what seems to be the next summit and on and on like this what seemed like an eternity. Anyway finally reached to top which again was very busy with folk all of the same idea as me. Had a rest for 20 minutes or so and setoff down the southern slopes to wards Ambleside. Again a lot easier than going bt with one or two tricky craggy outcrops to be negotiated. Finally reached the lower, flatter, slopes and from there it was plain sailing into Ambleside and you may well be surprised but my first stop was at the White Lion for a very hard earned pinto of Magners cider. Sat out on one of the tables at the front of the hostelry watching the world and his dog go by and reflectiing ona splendid days walking, albeit a bit more strenuous that I had originally anticipated......if only the visibility had not bee so hazy. Got another pint and then the expected rain started only very light but enough to make eveyone scramble inside. By the time i came out it was raining quite steadily so the fleece came out of the rucksack and the camera was safley stowed in the rucksack. Back at my little cottage within 5 minutes so not very wet, and totally satisfied with my day. Had a shower, made something to eat and sat down for a few hours.

Today is quite overcast but clearer than yesterday but that is down to the rain most of the night which has certainly cleared the air. The only plan for today is a trip to Hawkshead to meet upwith Vince  for an hour or so and then maybe I'll make my way to Bowness 'cos one of the outdoor shops has a sale on so maybe see what i can find there. There is always the swans, geese and boats to ppoint the camera at so see what happens

All being well the next installment will appear later on this evening.....

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:39 on 10th September 2012

Well, the day went pretty much to expectation...rain, rain and more rain. More or less straight after the previous post I took a stroll into Ambleside village to get a couple of presents for a couple of friends, but the shop didn't open til 1100 so that was a waste of time, but as I need a new pair of walking shoes (not boots, still got 2 good pairs of them) I took the opportunity to look in one or two of the outdoor shops but nothing seen that i really fancied, let alone could afford! ! ! By now it had started to rain again so back to the cottage, tidied few things and got my gear together and headed off to Hawkshead to meet up with Vince. Got there a bit early and had a wander round pointing the camera at various buildings and took a quick visit to the church, for photographic reasons I hasten to add. By now it had started to rain AGAIN!!!!! and as it was almost noon made my way to the Kings Arms and had a good hours chatting about anything and everything, also touched on a little website we quite like..you may have heard of it.....POE ! ! ! Vince then went on meet up with his family and do their thing and I made my way to Bowness for look round the outdoor shops and a few obligatory photos of the swans and boats. Weather turning grim again I made my way back to Ambleside, parked the car, had a quick sandwich and went out into the village again. Managed to get the pressies I'd wanted earlier and with a bit of time on my hands had a wander round parts of the village I had not seen before. But once again the rains came so I made a hasty retreat to The Golden Rule for a pint or two and some jovial and totally aimless banter that the pub is renowned for. Check it's website out.....John, the landlord, says it himself..... Getting on for 6pm so i thought a visit to the fish and chip was in order but yet again it was raining so straight back to the cottage where a bag of Uncle Bens Rice went into the microwave closely followed by a tin of ASDA Jalfrezzi curry. Fish and chips can wait til another day. Plans for Tuesday are still very much subject to the weather. Hopefull might get the cahance to get out and actually take some usable photos. So that's about it for today, watching a film on the box then gonna have a reasonably eraly night.  

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 01:48 on 11th September 2012

Too bad about all the rain, Dave. Glad that its not stopping you getting out and about, though it does put a damper (literally) on things. 

How neat that you were able to visit with Vince. I hope you got a picture of both of you together to post here on POE.

What a beautiful area the Lakes are. I've only ever driven past (fast), and one day will stop a while.

Loving your travel log.  

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:39 on 11th September 2012

Thanks Sue. The weather does not bother me too much. My philosphy about the weather is.....you can't do anything about it so why worry about it..... Getting pics is a bit more difficult than it used to be in wet weather. My old manual Canon F1's where built like tanks andwould survive almost anything but you gotta be a bit more respectful the modern all electric camera.....

Always things to do here. Been raining during the night and very light rain now so just deciding what I want to do today.

Was good to meet Vince and have to say it did not even cross my mind to get a photo of the two of us........ But thinking sensibly it might have been a bit too frightening for you all, after all POE is a family siteTongue outWink

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:13 on 11th September 2012

Darn it! No pictures of the two of you. Oh well! I've met Chris, Sarah, Ron and also Paul, and didn't think of getting pictures together either. I know how it goes. 

Continue enjoying and posting.  

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:21 on 11th September 2012
Hope your day was much brighter, your photo opportunities a lot better and you enjoyed a fabulous day in the Lakes!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:13 on 11th September 2012
On 11th September 2012 18:21, cathyml wrote:
Hope your day was much brighter, your photo opportunities a lot better and you enjoyed a fabulous day in the Lakes!

In the lakes, Cathy? HA! I guess if Dave has a strong constitution, he could very well take a dip. 

- hope you don't mind the tease, Cathty - 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:26 on 11th September 2012

I have to admit Sue that the one and only week we spent in the Lake District was in a tent on a campsite in a farmer's near Lake Buttermere and for all but one half of a day, it poured with rain.  The field and campsite was a mud bath and the children were only 2 & 4!!  Not the happiest of camping trips.  But despite the grotty weather I still think it is one of the most beautiful places - it must be the atmosphere! Smile

Lol!  I think Dave has probably got wet enough not to bother with the lake water!! Hehehe!