Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Lizard lifeboat station

Lizard

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postcards from England ( The Birmingham German Christmas Market )

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:46 on 4th April 2013
I dont think these markets do the comunity any good -they are very expensive and in my opinion they take a lot of trade off the local shops who are struggling enough.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 15:51 on 4th April 2013
I quite agree with that James, I have only been to one, could not get near the stalls for the crowds and it was freezing, the nearby hotel closed it's doors because everyone was going in to use the loo
victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 17:41 on 4th April 2013

Thank you for your comments Peggy and James !

Everything is a matter of taste in life, and I personally not only enjoy visiting the Birmingham Christmas Market but I love the festive atmosphere of the place, especially in the evenings !

The Birmingham German Christmas Market attracted 2.8 million visitors last year alone which is by no mean neglectible in these difficult times for the local economy.

Having spent Christmas abroad on a few occasions, I also find that it is very representative of the flavour of the markets in Germany. 

I agree that the market can become very busy on week-ends and on certain evenings, but over the 3 weeks that it runs, there are also plenty of times to enjoy it at leisure and at your own pace.

I have been lucky enough to visit and enjoy Christmas Markets in Strasbourg, Brugges, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Vienna and Bratislava and from my own appreciation, I would say that the Birmingham German Christmas Market is a very enjoyable experience !

Like I said, it is just a matter of personal taste...

Karim

Edited by: victorian67 at:4th April 2013 17:42
MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 19:06 on 5th April 2013
A great market to visit, I've been twice now in the last two years, it's got a lovely atmosphere to it, and I think the City gains by having it
 Please login to post to this thread...