Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bleak House by David Wigham

Broadstairs

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

THE LAKELAND MEANDERER'S SPRINGTIME SAUNTERINGS

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:37 on 5th May 2013

Well folks here we go again another few days worth of inane drivel to hopefully inform and amuse. A bit late getting started but more will follow...... Really good trip across from Hull...very little traffic.....althought did pass one 'unmarked' police car doing well over 90 ! ! ! But they must have been on a job cos they didn't chase me hahaha!! In cottage around 2.15 food put away, bags dropped wherever, boots on, cameras at the ready and out for a few hours in the beuatiful sunshine. A little wander trip upto High Sweden Bridge and surprise, surprise ended up abou 5.00 in the Golden Rule for a few Dizzy Blondes.....fish and chips followed......and then the dreaded unpacking.....Oh how I hate that.

This morning not quite so good, cloudy with mist over the hills, but still going out. So at least I have got the thread started....just need to find things to do to keep it going.......should not be difficult 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:31 on 5th May 2013
Now that would be something to look forward to!!  Wink
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:05 on 5th May 2013
Glad to here you've got there and settled Dave, look forward to your next post. Don't forget, have that drink for me in the Rule. Hope your weather picks up, it's suposed to be much brighter on Monday.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 16:13 on 5th May 2013
 Well I am supposed to be packing so will not be long, glad you are back in your comfort zone and got there in one piece and without unplanned paperwork. Hope the week goes well for you and the weather is kind, need some decent weather our way as well, shall miss reading the daily saunterings. have a good week foot-slogging, picture taking and slurpping.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:10 on 5th May 2013

Did you leave him a drink behind the bar Ruth--Wink

Where you going Vince??

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:19 on 5th May 2013
Oooops, no I didn't James, perhaps I should have done Undecided
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 00:48 on 6th May 2013

Sorry folks, a bit late tonight.....bit of a party in the RULE, one of the regulars celebrating a birthday and for some reason I had a Dizzy Blonde bought for me so felt I had to stay a whileWink

Well, as indicated previously today started off not very good. But I was out, reasonably well weatherproofed.......apart from leggings......must buy some.....and off I went into the drizzle and mist. Up Miller brow onto Loughrigg Fell and made my across the direct path towards Loughrigg Tarn, rather than the usual diversion to Lily Tarn first. Not surprisingly met quite a few like minede idiots...... At the end of the day we are there on holiday and have to make the best of it and if it's raining !!!!!! you get wet...tough innit. I was on my own so able to make good progress.....apart from the uppy bits which my ageing muscles seem to dislike......but all in all really good progress considering the conditions. The prime camera never saw daylight and the G9 only made an appearance a couple of times...once to ensure it was dry and the other to ensure it was switched off !!!! Modern cameras and rain do not go well together. A few years ago and my F1s would have been clicking away open to the elements without fear as they were completely manual.......who can remember having to set shutter AND aperture settings to get exposure correct. But I digress, as is often the case in these inane (insane!!!) mumblings. Still quite wet as I passed LoughriggTarn which had a fairly full compliment of campers.....and I do mean tents....... Along the path over Loughrigg Fell and passing Loughrigg Tarn the Langdale Pikes are usually majestically visible ..... but today...... totally invisible such was the rain and low cloud.......pity cos that is one of my favourite Lake Distrit vistas.

Was fully intending to go into Grasmere but due to a sudden detrioration in the weather......more rain......decided to go along Loughrigg Terrace and down to the watery place known as Grasmere.....not a LAKE....a MERE...then through the woods to cross the main Ambleside -Keswick road in order to find and follow the old 'Coffin road' back to Rydal. Quite steep, and because of the rain, precarious in places. From Rydal avery easy stroll back to the cottage.....all clothes into the washer and rest up for awhile. Then somewhre arounf 3pm the sun came out so a quick get dressed and out down to the lake for an hour before making my back into the village and a a few well earned pints of Dizzy Blonde. Just as i was leaving around 6pm to get a chinese for my tea i was invited back later..........hence all this rubbish is being written so late.

Weather forecast is reasonable for Monday so as long it looks good when I open the curtains a drive upto Keswick is the plan. Catch a boat across to Hawes End.....trek over Catbells to Brandelhow and catch the boat back to Keswick........BUT...if time permits get off at Asness and walk upto Ashness Bridge........if for no other reason that to say....'I've done it'.....albeit a very difficult place to take a much 'different' view from what is usually seen.........

to be continued very much to your dismay i am sureWink

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 00:52 on 6th May 2013
Ruth, have already had several Blondes in your honour !!!!! And hopefully many more to follow............And John is still as miserable as ever..... A lot more water around than was evident in your pics and still quite a lot of snow pockets dotted around.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 12:21 on 6th May 2013

Is the old timer with the eye patch still hogging the fire Dave ?

Hopefully by the time you read this your weather will have improved, have a good day, look forward to reading today's adventures later on. 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:01 on 6th May 2013
You had a busy day (and evening!), glad you braved the elements and got out and about!  Hope you get your cruise today!
1 2 3 4 5 Next >