Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

THE LAKELAND MEANDERER'S SPRINGTIME SAUNTERINGS

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 13:06 on 6th May 2013
Meant to mention Dave, if you eat at the Unicorn avoid the meat pie, David and myself both ordered it, looked lovely but sadly there was no meat in it at all, just a veggie mush.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:57 on 6th May 2013
The only choice foe me at the Unicorn is he steak or the trout and they have been spot on fo 5 years or more. Thr hungarian meat balls are also to be well recommended  Not been in yet but plenty of time yet
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:05 on 6th May 2013
And yes Ruth the old is still there but outside now.......he and his entourage have been a fixture for as long as I've been going in there.....
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:07 on 6th May 2013
Cath, as to braving the elements.......it is simply that has to be expected or you would not get anything done........this place has it's own microclimate.....
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:09 on 6th May 2013
More in depth details to follow but day started dull and ended up blazing sunshine........might try a trip down to the lake soon if a sunset looks on the cards.....sun is very strong but no clouds!!!!!!.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:42 on 6th May 2013
On 6th May 2013 18:57, Dave John wrote:
The only choice foe me at the Unicorn is he steak or the trout and they have been spot on fo 5 years or more. Thr hungarian meat balls are also to be well recommended  Not been in yet but plenty of time yet

It's the steak or meatballs next time then, liked the pub, everything else was just fine. Enjoy your evening, glad you've got some sunshine.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 08:14 on 7th May 2013

Well a bit later than intended but here we go. Monday started off quite dull and overcast. Keswick and Derwentwater was still the destination. Got parked up around 1030 and the next trip round the lake was 1100. Got my ticket full intending to get off at Brandelhow and walk over Catbells to Hawes End and get the boat back to Keswick. But when it came to making the decision. the sane side of the brain decided the low level walk was probably the best option......think i need to get a bit fitter before tackling the slopes of Catbells. So needless to say the walk up to Hawes End and Nichol End did not take anywhere near as long as the trek over Catbells would have taken. The skies were still very over cast as the boat left Keswick to make its way down the lake to Ashness and Lodore before I got off at Brandelhow. Beginning to brighten up a bit but still a little nip ion the breeze.....but that soon vanished by the time I got into the shelter of the trees. The walk down to Nichol End didn't take very long......no more than an hour i expect.......but i wasn't clock watching. Stood on the landing stage for about 10 minutes for the next boat back to Keswick. By now the skies where clearing and the sun was coming through and the day was looking good. had a wandr around all the usual spots....and parked myself on and old tree stupm and had my lunch, then wandererd round taking loads of photos of lambs and sheep ........ not to mention the lake and a mountain or two. After an hour or so headed back down to Ambleside, parked up, tidied a few things, then sauntered down to the lakeside and just sat on a bench in the now quite warm sun, for half an hour or so watching the world go by. The now compulsory visit to The Golden Rule followed for a few pints sitting outside chatting to all and sundry......very few in the bar......but was approaching teatime so most would be back home...... The fish and chip shop was next on the agenda, followed by a quick with an old couple that live in the same courtyard as my cottage. Got to know them quite well over the years. The evening repast consumed I started to upload all the photos taken so far to the laptop.......that is quite a long process with an 8GB card full of RAW images. So let it run and went for  a shower and then just pottered around catching uop with a few things

Today, Tuesday has started with very  ice blue skies and bright susnshine so a trip up to Grasmere and up on the fells towards Langdale is the initial plan.........but who knows!!!!!!

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:48 on 7th May 2013
Sounds like you're having a relaxing time Dave. Look forward to seeing your photos, and reading the next installment of your adventures.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:19 on 7th May 2013
You certainly are being active Dave, inbetween relaxing in the Golden Rule! Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:28 on 8th May 2013
Tuesday started off very bright and sunny so the Grasmere plan was well on the cards. All packed and ready early so was parked up in Grasmere by 9.30. And off up onto the fells. Even now the sun was quite warm and the sweat starting run. Hitched with a group of chaps who were heading for Silver How so tagged along with them for a while but eventually they went a different from that i was taking. Could see them in the distance as the made to top of Silver How. I didn't exactly lose my way but with all the melt waters from the recent snow a lot of the tracks had been obliterated. However with map in hand and knowing roughly where the sun was, and still able to see Grasmere village, i was not gonna get lost. Trying to keep dry feet was impossible due to the streaming melt waters. So it soon became a case of not placing feet carefully but simply striding out and gettin on with the climb to my intended destination, but as previously said went slightly astray. Caught site of the chaps i'd been with earlier so guessed i must have been in almost the right place and followed them again for a while. By now the sun has become very warm and the head and neck are beginning to feel it. Footing on the top of the fells is much better than it was coming up, plus there is also a lot more rock up on top . The guys i had been following again went ina different fro mine so i started off down the fell, again fairly comfortable wih the directon i was heading.... Yet again a reasonable idea on the map and postion of the sun.....plus the fact that I ws going downhill. As with going up the ground was absolutely waterlogged and i was more often than not ankle deep in water and mud........but what the hell I am on holiday and it is fun. An argument or two on the way down with a couple of mre boggy areas resulted in trousers wet almsot to knee height...... Slipping and sliding regularly but not once did I lose footing and fall....always managed to stay upright. Soon a body of water came into but certainly not the one i was expecting....Grasmere.....on checking the map it was evident that it was Easedale Tarn...getting on for a mile from where i thought i should have been. So at least i knew exactly where i was but certainly shows how easy it is to get lost.......which in the wrong conditions can have fatal consequences.. But fortunateli did know where i was as had only been up here in December only them my trousers were wet to knee height with ICE cold water.....you may recall. Sat here for half an hour and consumed my lunch and the tokk a steady saunter back down to Grasmere...where I treated myself to a well deserved ice cream But worse was to follow ....having spent 4 hours or mor on the fells with it's decidedly precarious footing I tripped over a kerbstone by the car and fell flat on my face......at least up in the fells i wou;ld have had a soft landing. Back to the cottage and all wet and dirty clothing was put into the washer and i took my customary stroll down to the lake to pass an hour or so before calling to the Rule to partake of a few Dizzy Blondes. After an enjoyable hour and half it was a quick visit to the chinese takeaway for my tea and relax for a while.