Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Eye Memorial.

Eye

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

THE LAKELAND MEANDERER'S SPRINGTIME SAUNTERINGS

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:30 on 11th May 2013
Oooh Dave you are a naughty boy, but I like you! lol
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:59 on 11th May 2013

Oooh thank you Ron....you're such a nice boy!!!!

And yes Ruth if it's gone quickly just think what it has been like for me.....Not many good things about being back home.....My own bed....power shower....my cat.....and the pleasure of looking forward to then next trip which I am already trying to secure dates !!! 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:30 on 11th May 2013
Back to earth with a bump!  Nice to be looking forward to your returning to your favourite place though!
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:33 on 11th May 2013
That's what I like to hear, arrive home from one holiday and start planning the next Laughing I always like something booked to look forward to. We'd like to get up to Ambleside again around September, but it might only be for a couple of nights because we have quite a lot already organised for this year. 
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:34 on 11th May 2013
Forgot to ask, will there be photos Dave ?
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:43 on 11th May 2013

Well I suppose I really ought to completes the weeks inane drivel not that there is a lot to pontificate about due the 'wonderful' weather that I was subjected to.....

So abck to Wednesday which as previously indicated started off promising but soon turned somewhat inclement. So the lunch that had been packesd was unpacked and one eye kept on the skies. Eventually the skies did clear early afternoon so the aforementioned trip down to Bowness did eventually occur. Parked up near the steamer terminal where you can actually get 2 hours free on road parking so that was a bonus...had awander round waterfront and took a few more of the obligatory rowing boats pics but probably nothing much different from what I already have. Also several of the plethora of swans there.....never seen quite so many as there this visit......so plenty of choice there, but haven't trawled through them yet.......come to think of it haven't even looked atthe pics from Saturday afternoon yet and that was a week ago ( notice I was able to work that one out Ron? ) all I have done is drop them all onto the hard drive for now. Something to keep me busy..... Wandered round the outdoor shops as i could with a new pair ofwalking boots, but nothing really caught my eye. Made the quick drive back to Ambleside, parked the car, had a quick coffe and was out again down to the lakeside for a while......Nice and warm now so t-shirt only required..... A stroll through Borrans Park provided som  pics of daffodils but most were just past their prime but may pop up later when i get round to them. Out onto the road by the Wateredge Inn towards the jetties and was even able to sit down for half an hour in the sun and watch the world (in this case hundreds of chinese!! they love the place) go by. Otherwise known as people watching.....quite an entertaining pastime. More photos of ducks and yes you've guessed it.......BOATS ! ! !  and a pier or two. Watched with amusement a couple of quite young girls, 9-10 maybe, who had found a dead duck on the shoreline and were trying to get it back in the lake using a couple of very flexible twigs......highly entertaining as I heard one of them say that if they got into the water it come back to life ?????. Wandering back up Lake Road towards the town by the LogHouse restaurant was a field with a few sheep and lambs and as I am no different from anyone else.....a sucker for pointing my camera at baby animals....a few minutes was spent leaning over the wall. But just as I was about to wander to the 'RULE' a local gent apperaed out of his front door and beckoned down the drive presumably thinking I might get better pics.......needless to say a graet few minutes chatting followed as was a REAL local actually born in Ambleside........one of the houses opposite the RULE Ruth.....Lovely old boy and real interesting chat so that took a few more minutes but well worth it. Eventually entry to the GOLDEN RULE wa seffected and another great hour or two amongst the locals who are now becoming pretty good friends and plenty of walkers and dogs. Was only intending to a few Dizzy Blondes....maybe three but the banter was getting better and better it stretched to five I thnk. This was then followed by a trip down Compston Road to the Lucky Dragon Chinese take away and a House Special Curry with Fried rice and chips was rushed back to cottage and devoured quite rapidly. A bit of catching up with e-mails and a bit of reading was accompanied by a sip or two of Grouse....... And that just about sums up Wednesday

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:27 on 11th May 2013
Yes there will be some photos Ruth....when I eventually get to look at what i've got.......... Trust me Ruth the next holiday was being planned earlier this week !!!!!  Just spen half an hour typing out Thursday's escapade and pressed the wrong BL***y button and lost it all so gotta start again......usually do it on Word or Notepad and copy / paste but tried to it 'live' won't be doing that again  ! ! !  Best get started rewriting.....so may now only appear later tonite if not tomorrow
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:30 on 11th May 2013

It's nice to be able to picture virtually every step you took from Waterhead, through the park and back into town, I think we may possibly have the same photos, boats, jetties, wildlife etc, we had a good old wander round the Roman Fort as well, couldn't miss an oportunity to fill up on a bit of my favourite topic - Roman history, poor David has been dragged all over Europe looking at ruins. We stayed in the hotel bang opposite the Log House restaurant, The Fisherbeck (booked through POE of course) really nice and about equal distance to walk to the boats or The Rule Smile The pull towards The Rule being greater on an evening !!

Good that you got to chat with local old boy, bet he has some interesting tales to tell. 

Looking forward to Thursday & Friday. 

Edited by: rustyruth at:11th May 2013 20:33
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 00:14 on 12th May 2013
Thursday will have an element of interest but Friday was practically a washout......
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:19 on 12th May 2013

Ruth says>>> We stayed in the hotel bang opposite the Log House restaurant, The Fisherbeck (booked through POE of course) really nice and about equal distance to walk to the boats or The Rule Smile The pull towards The Rule being greater on an evening !!

Thank you for booking your accommodation securely online via POE Ruth it is appreciated and it all helps to keep the site funded. Glad you had a great time.

And Dave have you told the 'Golden Rule' pub about POE yet?

Think we might have to check this area out, based on what Ruth and Dave have to say.