Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Walford Church, Herefordshire, around 1900.

Walford

in the county of Herefordshire

The Welsh Slate Museum, Llanberis, North Wales.

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Postcards from England ( Hampton Court Palace )

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

victorian67
victorian67
quotePosted at 15:03 on 10th November 2013

Welcome to Hampton Court Palace !

I have always had a passion for the 16th century who brought us the Renaissance and contributed to shape today's world in many ways. I read many books over the years about the power nations of the era : Spain, France, Germany, Italy's Pope and of course England and in doing so, I was able to recoup the facts and anecdotes from different point of views.

Needless to say that I was eager to visit Hampton Court as it was the favorite Royal Palace of Henry VIII.

Hampton Court Palace is located in the South West of London, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, county of Middlesex.

The weather was perfect and I decided to first of all explore the grounds and many gardens of the palace, and what a sight : a grand formal garden, topiary garden, Tudor garden, the Orangerie and the oldest Vine in the world - 500 years old...everything was picture perfect from manicured flower beds, rare plants, fountains and lakes...

I was also very keen to attend the Heads & Hearts live exhibition which offered the possibility to follow the King in one of the most important days of his life : his wedding to Catherine Parr - his 6th Wife, from the dressing of the Queen, to their wedding ceremony and finally their great entrance in the Base Courtyard in front of the public...

My day started on a happy note as I encountered the King as he was about to visit his gardens and later on, enjoyed the many scenes in the life of Henry VIII from meeting a servant that took us to the King Appartments, meeting the sister of Catherine Parr and then finally meeting the Royal couple and guess what ?

A few people were chosen to take part of the procession and who was nominated "Master of the Royal Horses" by the Queen herself ? Yours truly, who took the hand of the Queen's Sister and very ceremoniously proceeded behind my King & Queen down the grand staircase, and then in the grand courtyard with two lines of visitors doing a deep curtesy ! It does not get any better than that, and as soon as the people stood up again we were shot by hundreds of cameras...and as I am not exactly camera shy ...

I can just imagine some visitors looking back at their photo albums and wondering who on earth was that green cheeky bugger behind the King ! Priceless is the word !

Hampton Court is a real gem both inside and out and a must to visit when in London...

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...