Woburn

in the county of Bedfordshire

Epping, Essex

Epping

in the county of Essex

St Mary & St Margarets

Combrook

in the county of Warwickshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

December Dawdling with the Lakeland Meanderer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:06 on 8th December 2013

Well I have internet connection this week so hopefully some of the usual drivel may follow!!

Saturday got off to a good start, I had got about a mile from home taking the cat to the cattery for her weeks' holiday and realised I had forgotten her thyroid tablets so had to turn round and go back for the. But better I remembered then that 7 miles further on at the cattery. So was getting on to about 9.30 when I left there and the drive across the M62 was good until I got to the Saddlworth area and the 'little house on the prairie' where it was a bit wet and slow. For once I have to say I think it was slow simply cos people were driving sensibly ... for a change !!!. But by the time I got onto the M61 for Preston and M6 towards Kendal the roads had dried and the traffic was lot lighter so the right foot got a bit heavier!! Once you have lost time on a motorway due to slow traffice you can never really make it up, but having said that I was in ASDA Kendal just after 12.00 so had made very good time from leaving the M62. Half an hour in ASDA and I was on the phone to Andrew and Karen who used to own the cottage and now live in Windermere. It has only been 5 years trying to get to meet them and last it happened. Spent the best part of 2 hours there and then made my way up to Ambleside and Sunset Cottage. Home from Home !!! The new owners Sarah and Julian have just had double glazing fitted which has certainly made a difference with the warmth and noise, not that it was ever noisy in this little corner of Ambleside. Was too late to get any sort of a walk in so got unpacked and sorted in the cottage then wandered off into thevillage about 4.30 for a quick look round and and the first visit to the Golden Rule and the long awaited pint of Dizzy Blonde. An hour and a half catching up with the friends I have made over the years was followed by a short trip to The Old Forge for fish and chips. A quiet evening spent sorting a few things and watching the snooker.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:19 on 8th December 2013

That bit of the M62 by the 'little house on the prairie' aka Stott Hall Farm can be bad in summer Dave so you didn't do too bad for this time of year. Glad you had a relatively good journey.

Hope he weather is kind to you, but if it isn't too good there will be a nice roaring fire in the Rule. Have one for me, enjoy your stay Smile

Look forward to your next installment. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:18 on 8th December 2013

Fish and Chips Dave...have you read my post? lol

Have a great time up there mate.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:08 on 8th December 2013
That was last night Ron, before your post. But I don't worry about things like that so it will stop me having any more...
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:19 on 8th December 2013

Ha, you wait until they start bursting out of your skin and travelling up your trigger finger, you won't be able to hold your Brownie still...

No more boat pictures from Dave...now there's a thought! lol

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:24 on 8th December 2013
The way the week has started Ron, there may be no pictures at all. Todays report to follow shortly altough won't take very long!!
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:51 on 8th December 2013
This doesn't sound good Dave ?
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:06 on 8th December 2013
The forecast isn't brilliant Ruth, but you can't do anything about the weather so no point worrying. I'm where I wanna be which is the main thing. looks like there may be couple of reasonable days due which I will be more than happy with for this time of year
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:09 on 8th December 2013
I've just seen the forecast for the next few days Dave and it seems there is going to be an improvement. As you say though, if it's where you want to be that's the main thing. This time of year you'd be very lucky to get the amount of sun you did in the summer.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:23 on 8th December 2013

Well this morning, Sunday, dawned very overcast and damp so a very quiet day was on the cards. A quick walk into the village to get a couple of things forgotten in ASDA yesterday was followed by a very leisurely day catching up with a bit of reading and POEing. By 11.30 it had started to rain a bit and seemed set in pretty much for the day. By 2.00pm it was still raining so as far as getting out for a walk the day was written off. So a bit more Poe and watching the snooker was the order of the day until 4.30 when a quick stroll round the village was followed by the inevitable few beers in the Golden Rule. A good crowd in this evening so a pleasant hour and half  ensued after which a quick walk back to the cottage in the rain and make a bit of tea. All being well the weather looks like it might be improving over the next few days but I’m here til Friday so plenty of time yet to get a few walks in. A bit more time catching up with magazines and snooker and then bed and see what greets me when I open the curtains in the morning. If all esle fails there is always the car and a trip into Kendal which can be quite nice at this time of year

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >