Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WANDERING IN MAY WITH THE LAKELAND MEANDERER

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 13:43 on 8th May 2014

Another interesting read Dave to say that nothing much happened. A belated Happy Birthday for February by the way, my eldest daughter is just the same, my last years birthday present (April) arrived in March this year Smile

Hope the weather is better for you today, look forward to the next instalment. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 12:16 on 9th May 2014

7.30 and the day looked like it was gonna be Ok. Back to bed as usual for next hour but decision already made to go over Loughrigg Fell to Grasmere and back. Up about 8.45 for a quick wash followed by the now customary weetabix and prepare sandwiches and packup for the day. Ready for the off around 1030 and hadn’t got very far when I was stopped by a couple of Australian visitors asking for guidance on a walk leaflet that the place they were staying had prepared. I hate these things given away by the hotels and guesthouses as most of them are fairly basic line drawings, badly drawn and giving very little idea of the terrain to be covered. As it happens there were looking to do the low level walk along the road upto Rydal Water and then on to Grasmere and back through Rydal. They were looking the church which is shown on this ‘map’ as the start of the walk. So I turned them round and walked 15 yards, and there was the church straight ahead of them. Needless to say they were not really properly attired for trekking across the fells and scrambling over rocks but still that is up to them. Walked with them for a few hundred yards to make sure they got onto the right road for Rydal Water and left them to make the climb upon to Loughrigg. My usual course would have taken me through a short bit of woodland and out onto the path that leads upto Lily Tarn, but looking at the state of some folks who had been out early I decided against that. They looked like they had been tramping through a bog, blathered from boots to knees ! ! !  So the easier option was taken following the main track over the fell. Had intended to do a bit of exploring on some of the minor tracks but after the rain I expect they would be quite wet and muddy so they can wait for another day.  Very pleasant walking, although still needed a fleece on even though there was very little breeze about today. Soon reached the point where the next directional decision had to be made. On my to do list for this year is another ascent to the top of Loughrigg fell, but the cloud was still reasonably low with some of the higher peaks just in the clouds, so I decided to leave it for today as I can’t really see the point in struggling up there and not get the views that can be on offer on a better day. Still got mid July and late September to come, so hopefully get to do it then. Therefore I carried on along the main track across the fell towards Loughrigg Tarn. When they finally came into view the Langdale Pikes had their heads hidden in the low cloud. A few more people about so a bit of conversation on route.

Got to Loughrigg tarn and quite surprised by the number of people around the waters edge. Original intentional at the Tarn was to drop down to the side of the tarn and try to get some decent pictures of the tarn with the Pikes in the background. But the number of folks cluttering the edges of the tarn and also the Pikes being covered in low cloud made for staying on the path and heading off towards Grasmere. Yet again accosted by a couple asking directions, if they were in the right direction for Elterwater. They both had boots on and somewhat more sensible clothing than the earlier couple. But no map, water bottles or backpacks !!!! Anyway got my map out showed them where they should be going and let them get on their way.

Out from Loughrigg Tarn and they went left towards Elterwater and I turned right for a few hundred yards road walking before turning off into the woods that lead to Loughrigg Terrace which on a good day affords magnificent views across Grasmere to Grasmere village and all the surrounding fells. Today was not the best but the views were still to be seen. Sat down on one of the many benches dotted along Loughrigg Terrace for a short rest and a sandwich then carried on down the track to turn sharp left at the bottom and heads off the point at where the River Rothay flows out of Grasmere. From here the waterside path towards Grasmere was followed although you have to go out onto the road eventually as part of the shoreline here is privately owned. Not long from here and I was sitting on a bench on Grasmere village green for another 10 minutes and another sandwich The up and off again past Dove Cottage and on towards the old Coffin Route which is so called because in the days before Ambleside church was consecrated the dead had to be carried from Ambleside to Grasmere. It is unbelievable how they managed it as parts of the track are very twisty, steep and rocky. And on most occasions I has passed this way the rocky sections are quite damp and slippery even in the middle of summer!! Rumour has it that on more than one occasion coffins had to be rescued from the undergrowth before the journey to Grasmere could be completed!!!.

About half way along the coffin route it started to drizzle a bit but being under cover of trees was not to bad so just carried on until I broke out into more open fellside where it was decidedly heavier. So the camera went onto the backpack and the waterproof jacket came out and went on. Trouble with modern all electric cameras, unless you go for the absolute top which are weather sealed, is that they are so susceptible to the rain and really is not worth the risk. So from here a fairly brisk stride was set across what remained of the coffin route to turn off into Rydal Park and the last mile or so back into Ambleside. Arrived back the cottage around 2.30, wet gear off, kettle on for a very welcome coffee. All in all a very enjoyable 4 hour wander around. Half hour sit down, catch up with the usual POE and e-mail, then shower and shave followed another sit down before venturing out around 4.45 to see who was in the Rule. Fairly good crowd in so an enjoyable hour spent before wandering to the Lucky Dragon for Special Fried Rice, curry sauce and chips. As usual nothing on TV worth watching so CD’s playing while I pottered around the internet. Thought of writing this but time was getting on a bit so that is why it is late !!!!

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:30 on 9th May 2014
Sounds like a good day Dave. We live near the Pennine Way and it's amazing how many people park at the pub at the top of the road and set off across the moors in the wrong footwear, wrong clothing and without maps and waterproofs. Next thing moorland rescue are called out.

Edited by: rustyruth at:9th May 2014 14:31
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:37 on 9th May 2014

Well, I really do not know where the week has gone. But today’s infliction of pain and insult to your intelligence will not take long……

Didn’t look out of the curtains til after 8.00 this morning because at 7.00 I could hear the rain falling so that as good as confirmed last night initial plans … not a lot ! ! !

No rush to get out of bed so shower and shave was somewhere around 9.30!!!!! followed by a leisurely bowl of weetabix (no surprise there then!!) followed by a nice strong black coffee. As there was now no intention of getting out for any walking today a couple of hours were spent compiling a rambling report of Thursday’s events along with a few other bits of e-mailing. What did we used to do before the internet and 24/7 availability?? This was followed by starting to get packed and cleaned around, which it has to be said a very slow and boring process!!!. Somewhere around 2pm the heavy drizzle abated so a short an hour or so was spent wandering round the village looking for any good bargains on outdoor clothing, but such is my luck the only bargains to be had were on things I was not really looking for, so at least that saved me a bob or two. Back home with a couple of pressies bought and carried on with the last bit of packing.

Quick shower and shave was followed by a sit and rest for a while before heading off for the last visit of the week to the Rule. Good crowd in but that was half expected as one on the lads behind the bar was finishing after his shit at 6pm. So a lot of good company and conversation. Back to the cottage for around 6.30. Very quick tea using up whatever was left in the cupboards. Car was then more or less packed, with only a couple of bags left to load up in the morning.

And that my friends is about it for this week…

Next installment of Lakeland Meandering is scheduled to commence Saturday 19th July if you think you can cope with it again!!

Thanks for all your responses, they are much appreciated as it is a fun thing to do and seems to get more detailed each time I come away

Just hope the inane babbling does not insult your intelligence too muchWink

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:50 on 9th May 2014

I don't know where this week has gone Dave, you've certainly been unlucky with the weather. Your next trip coincides with our 6 day visit to Aberystwyth (I wish I'd have booked somewhere I could spell) David has two days out on a boat fishing so I'll be rambling around uncharted territory on my own.

Have a safe journey home tomorrow, look forward to reading your "babbling" again in July, it'll soon be here Smile 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:00 on 9th May 2014

Nothing inane about your bablings Dave, I reckon we all get a bit of holiday reading them. I agree, the week has all gone very quick and the weather at it's usual state- but hey it is the Lakes and your favourite Cottage and a change is as good as a rest, even if you do slog yourself up and down dale ,fell and in and out of tarn and get sogged.

Just hope the weather is kinder next week for anyone going on holiday. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:20 on 9th May 2014

Thanks folks, as long you all enjoy the barrage upon your brain cells I will try to keep it going.

If you're have a bit of time on your own Ruth, give it a whirl yourself. It's agood way of reminding yourself of what you have done. I occassionally look back to my previous inflictions of pain just to remind myself

But the weather does not have much to do with is, as I always say you cannot do anything about it so just make the best of it. 

It is more about just being here than the weather

Edited by: Dave John at:9th May 2014 21:21
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:30 on 9th May 2014
  You have suggested that we have a go at a journal ourselves and it could be interesting to do , however I think it would be not so easy to do writing a travelogue in one complete hit once you have got home and have a ton of life catching up with you and would be a bit too larger slice to swallow all at once. One day I may catch up with technology and use pills, knee covers and things that are not pugged in and use wires all the time. You will just have to make out what I did by peeping at the pics I put up.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 23:05 on 9th May 2014

I might give it a shot Dave Smile

I've been wire free for years, everything here works on wi-fi and or 3G. I'm a regular poster from my iPhone when I'm stood in the checkout queue in Tesco, or waiting for my mum at one of her many doctors appointments. I've never had a wired computer. I've just counted 8 wi-fi devices in this house. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:40 on 12th May 2014

WHOOPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies to all, just re-read my last post and the lad was finishing after his SHIFT at 6pm

I'll be getting done for political correctness now...

Well spotted John, at least it proves you do read them word for word!!!!!