Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Wreck

Blakeney

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Adventures around Argyll and Bute, and maybe a bit of The Highlands.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:21 on 15th June 2014
When we were in Rothesea 2 yrs ago all you could see was Zavaroni shops -in fact her sister was an artist in our hotel--very poor entertainer.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:29 on 15th June 2014
I'd have had to go out for the evening James, I hate hotel entertainment, in fact I'm not good with any sort of entertainment, street entertainers, circuses, most of the stuff on the TV.  A good percentage of the shops around here sell Whisky or nice food, there's an excellent smokehouse up the road at Inverawe Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:25 on 16th June 2014
Another day dawns, and very early here too, night only lasts for around two and a half hours and then it's not even properly dark. We awaken to a lovely sunny day, not a cloud in the sky and already 17 degrees by breakfast time.

We've booked our boat for the days fishing/photography on Lock Etive for 9.00am, it's only a short drive down the Glen Lonan road, through Taynuilt to a small place called Airds Bay so we're there in plenty of time. Our boat is an 18 foot wooden thing with a very small cabin and a bucket for a loo. The outboard motor is one of those that starts by pulling a cord not an electric button, and also steers from the outboard not a wheel. I decide I still want to be captain, but only in a supervisory capacity, David can deal with the engine and the steering, which I soon discover involves a bit of cursing.

After wading out to the boat, trying not to let the water top my wellies, we were underway by 8.45am, we have the boat until 5pm so we've lots of time to explore. After taking a few photos I'm suddenly handed my fishing rod, 9.15am time to get started. 

By 10.00am there are grumblings about the fish score, I've had 2, David nil. So I decide to spend a bit more time with the camera. Airds Bay is more or less at the centre point of the loch, North leads to Glen Coe, which from this area is only accessible by water, there is no road running North along the loch from Taynuilt. South of Airds Bay the loch goes into the Firth of Lorn at a place called Connel, then out to sea. Hire boats are not allowed near Connel due the dangerous Falls of Lora. The loch is about 22 miles in length. On the opposite back to Taynuilt is Bonawe Quarry, it's a working quarry and a bit on an eyesore, but it only covers a very small section of the beautiful landscape.

11.00am and there's something wrong with my feet, they feel damp, not cold but damp. I knew I hadn't let water go over the top getting into the boat but something was wrong. On closer inspection I discovered both boots were split, my socks and feet were soaking. So the wellies were dumped in a bag to go into the rubbish and my socks put in the sun to dry. Now fishing boats and bare feet do not make for an ideal partnership, the last thing I wanted was a hook through my foot, so tread carefully for the rest of the day.

By lunchtime the fish scores were worse, I was 5 to 2 up. It was suggested I take more photos, I decided to spend my time fishing. By 3.30pm I was beginning to remember why I had given up boat fishing around 10 years ago. I ached all over, my arms were sore from pulling in the fish, my back was in agony. The fish score was 9 to 7 in my favour. It was suggested that I take more photos, I decided to carry on fishing. 

By 4.30pm it was all over, time to head back, feeling smug with the catch at 11 to 8 in my favour,  and feeling sore all over I've decided once again to retire from boat fishing. We've got the boat for 4 hours on Saturday afternoon, depending on the weather I might just give it a miss, or read my camera manual. It's only a compact but I'm still doing everything on auto and I really should learn what all the other settings are for.  

Back at the mooring, trousers rolled up and it's a short paddle in the freezing cold water to shore. Doug who owns the boat said that I'd be warmer in my wellies, I told him I wouldn't.

So now we're back at the chalet, checking out the bits the factor 50 sunblock missed, aching all over but enjoying a cold beer. We are planning tomorrow. We were going to make the best of the weather and take a trip to Mull, but the good weather is set to last, so we've decided to do Mull on Wednesday instead. Anything could happen tomorrow, but it won't be on a small boat with feisty  fish.

I do need to buy some new wellies though !!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:27 on 16th June 2014
Nice Post  sounds a hectic daySmile
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:34 on 16th June 2014

Excellent account Ruth, does that mean David is buying the drinks now?

Really good read all the same. 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:43 on 16th June 2014

Thanks James, Vince. If David bought the drinks every time I out fished him Vince he'd be a bankrupt by now Smile 

I might not get asked along again for a while though Wink

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:32 on 16th June 2014
Great read Ruth, very entertaining and enjoyable. Wonder what tomorrow will bring us (apart from the new wellies!!) keep 'em comingWink
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:55 on 16th June 2014
Thanks Dave. I don't know about tomorrow yet, I'm just looking at the map. We're trying to look for ground not covered in 2010, but it's got to be via Oban because we need fuel, food and of course wellies Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:18 on 17th June 2014
Must try to get there Ruth, sounds the business although we would have problems walking too far.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:57 on 17th June 2014
It's very beautiful Ron, you can actually see a lot by car, so you'd not need to do that much walking Smile