Stokesay

in the county of Shropshire

A view of the countryside round Ilkley west Yorkshire

Ilkley

in the county of West Yorkshire

Isle of Sheppey Sailing Club, Sheerness

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Adventures around Argyll and Bute, and maybe a bit of The Highlands.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:38 on 18th June 2014
Very interesting read Ruth, quite a busy day by sounds of it. Only ever got to Tobermory such was the weather we had. But I do know most of the roads are quite narrow. They have great car rally on the Island every year. We had a major detour when we went as the ferry coming back from Oban was still full, the captain reckoned it was too dangerous to berth at Oban!!! so we had to take a different, very small, ferry from Fishnish to Lochaline and ended up driving all the way upto Fort William and back down to Oban. Bit annoying at first but in the end we did see some fantastic scenery we would not have seen
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:48 on 18th June 2014

Thanks Martin, Vince, Dave. That sounds like a journey and a half Dave. Luckily we've been very fortunate with our weather too, it seems the best times to visit the Western Isles and the Highlands are mid May to mid June and mid September to mid October. It's when the weather is at it's most settled. July and August are a no no because they can be wet and that brings out the killer midges.

Seems this weather is here to stay for the time being Vince, more factor 50 than midge repellent at the moment. £2 wasted on those candles too Smile 

Edited by: rustyruth at:18th June 2014 21:51
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:49 on 18th June 2014
Thanks John, nice to see you back, I was getting a bit worried Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:58 on 19th June 2014
Not too much to report today. It's still warm and sunny, the rabbits and the sheep haven't put in an appearance yet today. The morning is spent doing the washing which we've accumulated so far. David has had a bit of a tidy up of his fishing gear - we don't, well I don't want any nasty niffs around so it's always best kept clean.

Sandwiches made and around 11.45am we set off for a drive North for a change instead of going via Oban. Tesco is not on the agenda today so no need to go that direction. We crossed the bridge at Connel and continued passed Oban airport, which is situated overlooking the wonderfully named Ardmucknish Bay. We've never seen a plane come either in or out, but they have a fire engine and a very small terminal building, so something must happen occasionally. 

Continuing along the A828 along the banks of Loch Creran we arrived at the small village of Port Appin. There are some lovely across the Lynn of Lorne towards Lismore Island. There is a passenger ferry from here to Lismore, but it's lunchtime so everything stops for and hour or two. We decided to sit on the slipway here and have lunch before continuing to a beach at a place called Cuil. As promised in the title of the thread we've now crossed the border from Argyll & Bute into the Highlands - the hills are taller. Cuil is not much more than a shingle and sand beach on the banks of Loch Linnhe, very pretty but not much to do apart from admire the scenery.  All the lochs around here are sea lochs, they all have different names, but are all in fact part of the Atlantic Ocean. 

Carrying on from Cuil we arrive at the village of South Ballachuish, from here the choice is either to carry on North to Fort William, or take a big loop inland and go the long way round back to Taynuilt via the A82, or go on the road into Glencoe village which takes a 14 mile circular route along the South and North banks of Loch Leven arriving back at South Ballachuish.  We decided on the third option and set off to drive around Loch Leven. The road is quite a way above the level of the loch with some wonderful views, sadly the parking places along the road all have trees next to them so you can't see a thing, the spots where the views are at their best are on parts of the road where it's impossible to stop. Someone planned the lay-bys on this route very badly. Seven miles along the loch at it source, and where the River Leven flows into the loch is the small town of Kinlochleven. A town responsible for a large amount of the hydro electricity produced in the area. When you see the force of the water flowing from the river you can understand why, we haven't seen rain for days and it was still coming through in torrents, there must be an awful lot of water in those hills.

We then took the road that runs along the North bank of the loch until we got back to the point where we started, it was  just a matter then of taking the coast road South the way we'd come.

We arrived back at the chalet around 5.00pm in time for me to make tea and check out that the smoke alarms are all working using the sausages. Why I'm cooking bangers and mash in this heat is anyone's guess, but there we go.

Nothing much planned for this evening, perhaps a stroll up the road to see the Highland cattle. Then I'll be getting out the map to sort out a route for tomorrow - I have a plan, depending on the weather, but it seems that the weather is something we can depend on this week.

Edited by: rustyruth at:19th June 2014 19:07
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:39 on 19th June 2014
  And there is the tale of another day of  adventure in the wilds of Scotland, and a beautiful day out too- how do you say "not much to report today" ?  One asks what will you follow that with tomorrow?
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:42 on 19th June 2014
Another grand day out then Ruth? I can remember a lot of the names you have mentioned from our rip to Oban. Bangers and mash in this heat!!! Why not indeed ...one of my favourite all time meals. Sounds like the highland cattle might become a match for my sheep and boatsWink
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:58 on 19th June 2014

Thanks Vince, Dave. We've just been a walk up the road to see the Highland Cattle, would you believe it, when we're on foot they are nowhere to be seen. They must wait until they hear a car approaching and make a dash towards the track to look cute and block the way. 

We'll be heading that way in the morning so let's see what they're up to then Smile 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 11:18 on 21st June 2014

Apologies for the delay in yesterday's offering, internet trouble. Better late than never I suppose Smile

I can't believe this, another fine sunny day, this is very unlike the Scotland we've visited before. The plan today is to go South with a view to having a look at Crinan and the Crinan Canal, via a few other places of interest.

The first stop though has to be Tesco in Oban, the cash is running low so we need a cashpoint, also the fridge has run low so we've nothing for sandwiches today. After grabbing the dosh and a couple of meal deals we are ready to go. There's shopping to be done too, but that will have to be on the way back as we don't want it festering in a warm car all day.

Driving South on the A816 out of Oban we pass through Kilninver, this is where we turned off the other day to go to Seil Island and Luing, today we carry straight on towards Kilmeford and subsequently along the South bank of the beautiful Loch Melfort. The road then goes inland and it's around 10 miles to the village of Kilmartin. The Kilmartin area has more ancient sites than anywhere else in the area, in fact I think I read somewhere more than anywhere in Scotland. First off we stumble across the not so ancient Carnasserie Castle, built in the 1560's the first Protestant Bishop of the Isles, John Carswell spread his faith through the Gaelic Western Highlands from his base here. The information board makes it all sound so easy, but it bet it was anything but. I can't somehow see all the warring clans paying much attention to one mans preachings when there was murder to be committed, and from what we've learned about the area so far, that was by far the favourite pastime.

We wandered up the half mile track to the castle and had a climb around, took a few pictures, admired the views, then wandered back to the car park. I'm starting to notice a similarity between Scotland and the North Island of New Zealand  - it's empty, there are very few people here, very few cars on the roads, it's all very quiet, it's all very peaceful.

We continued South through Kilmartin, it seems the books are right, there are a lot of standing stones and cairns dotted in the fields off to each side of the road. A couple of miles after Kilmartin we branched off onto the B8025 towards Crinan, yet another single track road with the odd passing place. First we stopped off at Crinan Harbour, a dead end with a few houses, several moored boats and an elderly lady weeding around the bench we had earmarked to sit on to eat lunch. She wasn't  for moving so we ended up sat on the slipway steps.

Crinan Harbour was obviously not the place to be so we drove round to Crinan itself. What a difference a few hundred yards can make, Crinan is a lovely place. Two sea locks bring boats in from the Atlantic in the Sound of Jura to send them on their way along the canal to re emerge in Loch Fyne and the Sound of Bute, cutting several hundred miles off a journey by sea to Glasgow. We wandered around here for a while then sat outside a cafe with a drink watching the rich folks bring their yachts in and out of the locks. Secretly hoping for a mishap, but we were to be disappointed.

Leaving Crinan we followed the road along the side of the beautiful canal to Cairnbaan where we joined the A816 to go North again. Re tracing our route until we got to Craigdhu where we turned West on the B8002 along the banks of Loch Craignish, through the village of Adfern and on to Aird, which is as far as you can go without falling into the sea in the Sound of Jura. David decided to do a bit of fishing and I thought I take photos of the rusty posts on the disused slipway from as many angles as possible until I got fed up and decided to join him around 100 yards up the shore.

Now it there's an easy way or a difficult way to get somewhere, being me I always pick the later. First of all there was bog, I should have know, there grows the cotton grass again. Then there were the ankle breaking rocks, followed by the slippery seaweed and the green slime, lastly the boulders that no matter how much care you take they try to throw you off by rocking one way or the other, tipping you onto the sharp limpets which are stuck to their neighbours in abundance. Several minor injuries and the odd curse later I arrived at where David was catching nothing. He looked unscathed, it was then I noticed a path behind me from the road to where the car was parked !!!

When it got to around 4.00pm we decided it was time to head back, we still had to drive 30 miles or so to Oban and then take on Tesco. That's really all there is of note for Friday, apart from the internet has gone funny and the lady who runs the chalets is out, so this will have to be posted Saturday when we get sorted.

Saturday afternoon we have the boat on the loch again from 1.00pm until 5.00pm.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:22 on 21st June 2014

Internet problems on holiday !!! Sounds familiarUndecided

Excellent read Ruth from what was yet another seemingly busy and cultural day out. 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:46 on 21st June 2014

Thanks Dave, and here is today's offering.

Saturday and we've been here a week today, still no sign of the weather changing, there are a few more clouds today, but it's still very warm when the sun peeps out from behind them.

The internet is back up and running, I don't know quite how I've managed this but it seems I paid £5 for one weeks internet which was for one device only. Up until yesterday we've been running (not all at the same time)  my laptop, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads on one wi-fi voucher code, apparently it's not possible to do it, the company that controls the internet for the site normally know if people try to connect more than one device and put a stop to it. Seems I've found a loophole somewhere. Anyway yesterday evening the weeks code ran out and when I went to get a new code the lady who runs the site had gone out so I couldn't get sorted until this morning. She can't work out how I've connected so many devices, but she said if it works go ahead, she thinks it's daft having to pay separately to connect individual devices in each chalet, and so do I. Anyway this time I've just connected the iPads, I don't want to push my luck with the phones and laptop too.

Sorting that took up some of the morning, the rest of it was spent mooching around and getting the things ready we needed to take on the boat this afternoon. Only four hours afloat today so that wasn't too bad.

We collected the boat from Airds Bay at 1.00 pm, a smaller craft than the other day, and even less comfy if that's at all possible. Four hours sat on a wooden plank which is a poor excuse for a seat is not funny. Anyway the fishing, oh dear, today went even worse for David than last Monday. We're not talking about it too much because it ended badly. I had 6 decent sized fish, Cod and Pollack and another odd looking thing which I can't remember the name of, and daren't ask. In the last half hour of fishing David managed 2 pathetic offerings which were not much bigger than his bait. I didn't rub it in that's not my style, the first person I told was Doug who owns the boats, then my mum on the phone, then the neighbours in the next chalet, along with Jennifer who owns the chalets, her dog, a quick text to all four children, and of course David's friend and fishing buddy. So no, I kept it all very hush hush that he'd been out fished again.

On our way back across the loch with the boat we did see a pair of eagles flying around one of the peaks so that was a nice sight. Made a change from the seagulls who are a constant presence where's there's fish around. Whoops, did I mention the word fish :) 

Anyway it's 7.30pm now, nothing much planned for this evening, maybe a walk later, possibly on opposite sides of the road. It's the longest day so there's very little chance of of it getting dark here much before midnight. There's a possibility of a visit to the Lorne Island Games tomorrow, so that should be fun.