Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Overton, Shropshire

Overton

in the county of Shropshire

Grisedale Tarn, Cumbria

Grisedale

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

JULY DIARY FROM THE LAKELAND MEANDERER

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 10:03 on 23rd July 2014

Another great read Dave, it seems impossible to walk anywhere this week without ending up soaking wet, we seem to be getting trough twice as many clothes than is usual. Hope Kate is enjoying herself, though why anyone would ever want to eat Kendal Mint Cake is beyond me Smile and the vegetarian fare as well for that matter !!

Have a good day today, I just hope it's a bit cooler where you are than it is here, we have a forecast of 26 degrees. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:07 on 23rd July 2014
Absolutely scorching today must have topped 25 at least and to improve!!! Got back to cottage and Kate refused to move so I went to the pub on my own ..... What else could I do? People to see and all that!!!! Hope to get the daily update a bit later
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:09 on 23rd July 2014
We've had 29 degrees here. Can't blame you going to the pub, we did too Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:56 on 23rd July 2014

Blazing sun and blue skies greeted me when I peeped through the curtains at 6am. 8am and it was just the same, but sunnier it that was possible. Kate had already got up and getting her packup done so I let her get on with that then did mine while she went for a shower. I would have been quite happy with a 10am start but we were ready by 9.30 so no point sitting round for nothing. Head and neck suitably sun creamed off we went. Not got very far, maybe 6-700 yards and Kate had a minor panic in that she thought she had forgotten her camera, but a deep delve into her backpack revealed it had been packed. Carried on up the main Keswick road for a short while before turning off into Rydal Park, where I realised I had forgotten my water bottle, for the gentle stroll through Rydal Hall and eventually the Coffin Route to Grasmere. I have mentioned this before but the Coffin Route was used to carry the dead from Ambleside to Grasmere before the church in Ambleside was constipated, or should that be consecrated!! Fortunately parts of the track are fairly well shaded and so the heat was not too much of a problem. Very clear views across Rydal Water to Loughrigg where you could see past the bracken which in some cases must have been 5ft high. But camera lenses were pointed and shutter buttons pressed so will see what transpires when I get chance to look properly.

Arriving in Grasmere paid a quick visit to the 'conveniences' in the main carpark, 20p a go now. This one always used to be free but I do remember they were doing some works there back in March. From here followed the River Rothay round to the top end of Grasmere so we could wander back through the village and stop at the shops for water etc. Got my water and a bottle of Lucozade and headed off to the Sarah Nelson Gingerbread Shop. We had been ordered to get my mother some genuine Grasmere Gingerbread. Kate did the dutiful sister bit and went in to purchase and came out the dutiful Aunt and had bought us each a slice.......very nice it is too. Wandered through the churchyard and back out onto the road to make our way out towards Red Bank, although we would turn off the road after a quarter mile or so to drop down to the shores of Grasmere and wander along towards the southern end  of the mere. Stopped and sat down half way down the lake for a bit of lunch and a drink. I thought I had bought a bottle still water, but when I came to open it if was 'fizzy' water which I am not the greatest fan of  at the best of times, but was on the wrong shelf!!and was one of those flavoured waters ... Apple and Cucumber ..... never heard of it before but what a horrible concoction .... all I can say is was wet and reasonably cool, so it served a purpose. As we carried on down towards the various tracks for ascending the lower slopes of Loughrigg there was no more shelter until we reached the top of Loughrigg Terrace and it was all uphill, not very steep but uphill in the blazing sun. Temperature must have been 25-26 at least. A short stretch of woodland took us out onto the road from Grasmere to Elterwater which we were on for half mile or so before turning off to Loughrigg Tarn. Not as many folk around as I would have expected. The views over to the Langdale Pikes were very good if just a bit hazy in the distance, but at least they could be seen. Leaving Loughrigg Tarn behind we were soon attacking the slopes of the northern edges of Loughrigg fell on route back to Ambleside. Again there was respite from the sun and heat so it was quite hard work. A few stops for breath catching and infusions of liquid were the order of the next half hour or son during which time I decided to cut the route short and not bother going off the main path to Lily Tarn, that can wait for another day sometime. That decision being made it was fairly much down hill now all the way Into Ambleside. Straight back to the cottage for 3.30 so we had been out for 6 hours which was good for the day. As soon as we got in Kate went a shower and I tinkered about empting backpack and tidying etc. On her return to the land of the living I went off and had a quick rinse and change of clothing. By the time I had come down she was firmly ensconced on the sofa, 2 cushions behind her head and 1 under her feet. She then made a very firm refusal when I suggested a visit to the pub to replace lost fluids ..... so I went on my own. A good hours banter with Danny and Duggie along with Margaret, landlords wife, and then off to the chippy to get our tea. Having had tea, now about 6.45 I suggested a walk down to the piers and this was approved!!  An hour or so later we were back at the cottage and I went off to get a shower and when I got back Kate said that the Red Arrows had flown over, presumably on route to do a flypast at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games. By 9.30 Kate announce she was off to bed so I settled down to internet things like catching up with e-mails, banking, payday today so need to check things there, and then finally have a look around POE and start this.

Kate goes home tomorrow afternoon so just a shortish wander in the morning 09.30 til 1.30 or thereabouts. And then i need to plan what to do on Friday . . .

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 00:06 on 25th July 2014

Yet again cloudless blue skies to start the day. As Kate was going home early afternoon a short trek was decided on for the morning. Left the cottage around 9.30 and headed off out of Ambleside via North Road to find the Robinsons draymen making a delivery to the Golden Rule. The truck took up all of the road with just enough access at the side to squeeze through, don't know how anyone with a more rotund personage would have got through. Then onto Sweden Bridge Road but turned off after a couple of hundred yards to take the clockwise route. Uphill all the way for about a mile and to say we were both a bit leg weary after yesterdays hot trek over Loughrigg would have been a slight understatement. But we got going steadily and were passed by a few folk who all seemed to be intent on getting where they wanted to be quickly!! From the route some were taking I reckon they had sights set on either the Fairfield Horseshoe which is a 12 mile hike over some of the bigger hills around Ambleside, or the circuit of Scandale which I did on Monday, only I did it anti clockwise and this way out takes the clockwise route. But whichever it was a very hot day to be doing either. Anyway we plodded our slow way up the hill, stopping now and again to look back at where we had come from, more likely to rest aching legs and catch breath back!!. After about an hour we were on the short descent down to High Sweden Bridge which surprisingly was not very busy. One family just finishing a paddle in Scandale Beck. The beck was very low, almost as low as I have ever seen it. Spent maybe 15 minutes pointing lenses and squeezing shutter buttons. The drop back down to was very uneventful except for Kate's camera running out of power... Just before reaching Ambleside we turned off towards the Kirkstone Road, more commonly known as the struggle. A few hundred yards along the Struggle we took off right to head across fields to find an unclassified road that leads out of Ambleside to service a few farms. This road is also basically downhill and is the same road that heralds the start of the climb up Wansfell, which we were not doing today to Kate's great delight!! Instead we carried on a bit further and headed off into Stockgyhl woods to see what the Stockghyl falls were like  ....  Not overly impressive it has to be said. Another 15 minutes saw us back at the cottage somewhere just after 1pm. Following something to eat and a drink Kate was packed and ready for the off getting away just before 2 so all was pretty much on schedule. I took myself off for a couple of hours up into Skelghyl Woods to Jenkins Crag, a good half mile uphill trek, which has fairly good views over Ambleside although it has to be said much better early of later in the year when there is not quite so much foliage in evidence. A steady stroll back down the wooded hill to come out by the Langdale Mountain Rescue premises and then wandered off to the pierhead. A bottle of cold drink was purchased followed by a sit down for 20 minutes on one of the many benches available along the waterfront before making my way back to the cottage via the Banks of the River Rothay. Got  back home around 4.15 so had a while to tidy and sort cameras and rucksacks before making off to the Golden Rule. Danny and Duggie in again so that helped the time go by. Conversation was going well so a fourth pint was had today!! Special curry and chips was on the plan for tea and once again was eaten 'alfresco' in the garden. 10 minutes sit down after tea and I decided to get out again and took another walk down to the pier. Beautiful evening with quite a few folk of the same idea. A few boats moored up so beware even more boats may well appear on POE in the near future. No clouds worth speaking of to form any sort of sunset glow as the  set behind slowly behind the Langdale Fells. Definitely feeling a bit weary by now so just took the easy way back along the road getting back here around 9.15. Quick shower and shave and then down to a bit of interneting. Really found it difficult to get started on this simply cos I was very weary.

Was intending to drive out to Elterwater tomorrow and have a walk round Little Langdale and Blea tarn but got a feeling it is gonna be another hot one so may just stick local again

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 05:46 on 25th July 2014
Very good read/posts Dave....really must try to get up there!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 15:41 on 25th July 2014
Thanks John as long as folk enjoy my travels that is good. And yes I do have a good memory and type everything up on 'word' then copy and paste to the thread
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:22 on 25th July 2014

Sorry I'm late with reading your post Dave but we've been on the road most of the day. I'm still coming to terms with Apple and Cucumber flavoured water, what on earth were they thinking. I do like fizzy water but it's just got to be water, no fancy chemical flavourings. 

Another great read, you've certainly had good weather this time, albeit a little too hot at times, we've suffered with the heat in Wales. Enjoy your last day and have a safe journey home tomorrow. I know Windy Hill was misty and horrible when you went through last week, today it was registering 30 degrees with cloudless skies. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:28 on 25th July 2014

Well, I'm seriously contemplating getting off in the next half hour or so. Got a busy weekend in the park behind were I used to live with the Veterans War weekend. So todays diary may only arrive with you tomorrow night but don't think that will be a problem

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:54 on 25th July 2014
You'll also miss the Saturday morning holiday traffic.