Netley

in the county of Hampshire

Oakham

Oakham

in the county of Rutland

Bournemouth

Bournemouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Lakeland Meanderer Strolling in September

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:35 on 3rd October 2014

Is there anybody that loves the place more than Dave?

Thinks.....lucky ****** wish I was there! lol

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:46 on 3rd October 2014

Thursday 2-10-14

What a difference a day makes ! !   Clear blue skies and a touch of mist clinging to the bottom of the valley. By around 10.00 am I was heading out of the door bags packed, yet with a fleece on as it was still a little cool. However the fleece was soon discarded and strapped to the backpack. Nothing outstanding for today so just a wander out to Rydal through Rydal park, with the grasses still showing signs of overnight dew waiting to be burnt of by the sun. Quite a few people out taking advantage of what was always forecast to be a good one. Having passed through Rydal Park and about to set off across the Coffin Road to Grasmere, I bumped into Steve and Karen with Amber. They had set off earlier with intentions of walking the Fairfield Horseshoe but before they had got too far into Nab Scar one set of legs or another were not feeling up to the task. Not sure what they were going to do we had a quick chat and carried on our separate ways. I carried on along towards Grasmere still with quite a few people around. Grasmere was as busy as usual, with plenty of folk around with a few coaches parked up in the car park. A wander along the River Rothay was followed by finding the road for Elterwater before turning off to the Grasmere shore to make my way down to the southern end of Grasmere before ascending Loughrigg Terrace. A couple of Hercules flew along the valley from Ambleside and over Grasmere but I was under the trees and anyway had the wrong lens on!!! From here it on towards Elterwater again but turning off to Loughrigg Tarn. A very steady trek across the southern tracks of Loughrigg Fell before turning off to Lily Tarn. Been there many time before but always a pleasure to be there. The drop down back to Ambleside did not too long and I was back in the cottage by about 3.30pm. A shower and change of clothes was followed by a wander round the village ending up at the Golden Rule for the usual conversation. Steve was quite pleased to show me a couple of pictures he had taken of the Hercules. They had decided later to go out round Rydal Water and up Loughrigg Terrace but over the top of Loughrigg Fell.

Friday 3-10-19

Today was a bit of a washout. Dryish start but very heavily overcast with the rain soon following on. So very little done apart from get packed ready for an early start on Saturday. Quick wander into the  village before the rain looking for any bargains but nothing that really caught my eye. The last visit to the Rule was made around 4.30pm. Steve and Karen were already in as they had done a bit of late shopping. We are already talking of booking the same week again next yera. They like the cottage they have so that all looks good. A quick chat with John the landlord and Danny and Duggie who I had got to know over the years was followed by a very quick tea with what ever was left in the fridge and then the majority of bags loaded to the car leaving just a couple to top up in the morning.

And that my friends is it for this week. Just need to decide when I cab afford the next visit

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:22 on 3rd October 2014
  Thanks for the Tale of Dave and the Lakes once again, it is a great thing you do letting us hear your week away. Glad you have had a good time and I am sure you will be back there in no time.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 12:23 on 4th October 2014
Great read again Dave. This week has gone so quick, you don't seem to have been there two minutes. Safe journey home.
Alex Robinson
Alex Robinson
quotePosted at 10:58 on 8th October 2014
I loved reading this, so thank you for sharing. The Lake District is one of my favourite places in the world - reading about your week has made me want to return asap!
 Please login to post to this thread...