Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Castle Hill, Kenilworth

Kenilworth

in the county of Warwickshire

Clun Castle in South Shropshire

Clun

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Markets in England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Pam Quinton
Pam Quinton
quotePosted at 20:44 on 18th November 2007

I deal in collectors items in South Africa. When I visited England in June 2007 I was keen to get to as many markets as possible. It would have been a great help if people in Britain could have advised me on the best markets or boot sales to visit. Also sharing stories and experiances

of bargain hunting would be great. I have been in this business for twenty years and could write a book. Would love to hear from other bargain hunters and collectors

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Douglas Bregger
Douglas Bregger
quotePosted at 02:35 on 3rd December 2007
The Portabello Market in London is one of the best!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:07 on 26th March 2008

Hi Pam and welcome to the best site on the net!

Douglas has about hit the nail on the head, but there are plenty of boot sales (flea markets to those in the USA) where you can still pick up rubbish, sorry antiques, to sell on.

J R R Tolkien was from South Africa so how about this little gem? See http://www.picturesofengland.com/oxford/cslewistours/memorabilia/tolkienmemorabilia.html and its all mine! Probably likely to remain that way for that price, but the idea was to alert people to what I am trying to achieve here in Oxford.....an awareness of C. S. Lewis which barely exists currently!!

Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 07:42 on 3rd April 2008
Pam most Tourist info sites have a section to tell you what's on & when. Markets and car boot sales are usually listed there.
Pam Quinton
Pam Quinton
quotePosted at 15:23 on 6th July 2008

Hi Ron,

I was going to reply to your post but was trying to log in on my E-Mail . Forgot my user name. Nevertheless that was in May and I was about to leave for the U.K. Now after five weeks I am back and managed to login. Can you prove that grey stone fire place belonged to this Bloemfontein Guy? Looks pretty simple to me. Jokes but I have seen better ---sorry

Well with a bit more experiance after spending a month in the U.K. last year I was able with the help of internet to get to many markets and boot sales, with Englands wonderful transport system making it so much easier. (Gee can the Brits moan when a train is a few minutes late !!!!) Went to a coin fair and found really nice ones not easy to come by in South Africa.

L
L
quotePosted at 15:28 on 6th July 2008
Hi Pam, can't remember if I welcomed you to POE or not, so I'm welcoming you now. I'm glad you had a good time here in old Blighty but why did you take the nice weather back with you? lol its raining on and off all day here!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 16:33 on 6th July 2008

Hi Pam:  Welcome!  I just had a quiick glance at a few of your shots.  I LOVE this one:

York City Walls, North Yorkshire
Picture by pam quinton

York is wonderful!  Looking forward to viewing the rest of your stuff.  Enjoy POE!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:26 on 6th July 2008

>>>Can you prove that grey stone fire place belonged to this Bloemfontein Guy?

The simple answer Pam is yes! I have a letter of authenticity from the owner of the house from where it was removed from the Master Bedroom as it was removed, and before they were going to put in on the dumpster during refurbishment. I agree, it's not the most handsome piece, but there will be many in the USA who would like to get their hands on it! It is original J R R Tolkien memorabilia and that makes it special!  

Pam Quinton
Pam Quinton
quotePosted at 19:54 on 6th July 2008

Lyn it rains in Cape Town in winter. I arrived back on 27th June and felt frozen after the humid (most of the time) London weather. Also went down with flu 4 days after arriving back. It is going to rain until Wed. South Africa's nice weather is up north. Summer is no better in this beautiful mother city of Cape Town. Being a  Peninsula the wind blows all summer. (Known as the Cape doctor.) Last summer was the worst I've known 11 days without respite--up to 40km sometimes 50. We have perfect days in March-maybe 4 or 5.If the wind doesn't blow in mid-summer ---we cook, so we can't win.

Which reminds me asking a guy in U.K. which was the best month to visit and he said "Well we have one good month but we never know which one." and that goes for Cape Town too.

Pam Quinton
Pam Quinton
quotePosted at 19:59 on 6th July 2008
On 6th July 2008 19:26, Ron Brind wrote:

>>>Can you prove that grey stone fire place belonged to this Bloemfontein Guy?

The simple answer Pam is yes! I have a letter of authenticity from the owner of the house from where it was removed from the Master Bedroom as it was removed, and before they were going to put in on the dumpster during refurbishment. I agree, it's not the most handsome piece, but there will be many in the USA who would like to get their hands on it! It is original J R R Tolkien memorabilia and that makes it special!  

I am sure it is special !! Even a strand of hair from one of the Beatles would be special and i seriously am not being sarcastic.Although I have never tried it the dumpster is sometimes the best place to look for specials and its free.Go well