Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Autumn, Walpole Park, Ealing

Ealing

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The Gurkhas are told to go - shame on you and your Government Gordon Brown!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 09:54 on 9th October 2008
Thanks for uploading the message from Joanna.  It's nice to be able to see what stage this important campaign is at, and where it is leading to.  It's true enough to say that 'we're not looking for a "government review" or an amendment to the law'.  We really are demanding that all our Gurkha friends, who have served this country so well and for so long, should have the right to choose to spend their retirement in this country.  These people are more British both in thought, deed and spirit, than the 'stranger at the gates' for whom this losy self serving government willingly throws the doors wide open.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:22 on 18th October 2008

I've just come across this on Yahoo News:

Actress Joanna Lumley has called on the Government to "honour our debt" and support moves which would allow all retired Gurkhas to live in the UK.

Last month a High Court judge ruled the Government's immigration policy excluding them was unlawful and in need of urgent review.

More than 2,000 former Gurkha soldiers have been refused permission to settle in the UK because they retired before July 1997. The Nepalese fighters are now pressurising Parliament to implement new policy.

Miss Lumley is due to join Gurkhas and Justice campaign co-ordinator Peter Carroll at the House of Lords, where a bill which would see a change in the law will go for its third reading.

Miss Lumley, whose father served with the Gurkhas for 30 years, said: "I will be in Portcullis House asking for MPs on all sides of the House to support this bill and our Gurkha heroes. The fact that the bill has enjoyed cross Party support in the Lords is a magnificent and hopeful sign.

"I will also be asking MPs to sign up to our online petition. The Government has a historic opportunity to put right this terrible wrong. Letting this bill stand will honour our debt."

A similar bill has been introduced in the House of Commons by Bob Russell, Liberal Democrat MP for Colchester.

Campaigners are hoping to garner a million signatures for their petition and persuade the Government to pass the new laws.

Immigration rules introduced in 2004 allowed retired Gurkhas with at least four years service to settle in the UK. But the rules only apply to Gurkhas discharged from the British Army before July 1 1997.

The Bill, introduced by Lord Lee of Trafford, would allow Gurkhas who left service before 1997 to be granted indefinite leave to enter and remain in the UK.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:25 on 18th October 2008

The above post is down to Alan.

I tried to edit the text and messed up big time! Good job I copied it first eh?

Thanks Alan!

quote | editPosted at 09:26 on 18th October 2008

Here is the latest update from our Miss Lumley -

I'm delighted to be able to say that the Gurkha Justice Campaign now has
over 55,000 signatures - thank you so much.

I've recorded a special video message for all the supporters of the
Gurkha Justice Campaign which you can see
at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=InjrGSHMQ2I and you can find more
information at our newly updated web site www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

Please do make sure all your family, friends, colleagues know about the
petition at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk - I REALLY want to get more
signatures, and need your help. If everyone getting this email could
encourage just 20 friends to sign, we'd beat our target immediately.

I was delighted to be in Westminster on Monday at the third reading of
Lord Lee of Trafford's Immigration (Discharged Gurkhas) Bill in the
House of Lords (http://tinyurl.com/3nekbe). The bill was unopposed in
the Lords, and now goes to the House of Commons - if there is enough
time in this session. Although it's apparently quite rare for a Private
Members Bill to get accepted by the Government, I hope they will do so
in this case - it simply does everything we want. We just need to
convince the Government to agree.

After the third reading debate was over, I went to a meeting with some
real ex-Gurkha heroes including Honorary Lieutenant Tul Bahadur Pun VC
who served as a Chindit in Burma with my father. At the meeting, it was
fantastic to receive pledges of support from lots of MPs, peers and
campaigners from all parties (and crossbenchers) to support Lord Lee's
Bill.

Many people have asked for a petition form they can give to family and
friends - this can be downloaded
from http://gurkhajustice.org.uk/gurkha_campaign_petition_form.pdf or
they can sign up on the site directly.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

PS. As you can see in the video, I've made good use of my Gurkha Justice
t-shirt this week - a really simple way to show my support for the
campaign and get the web site address out quickly. So many people have
asked where they can get one that we've set up an online shop - so you
can buy a Gurkha Justice t-shirt or sweatshirt and help spread the word
with pride too.

You can buy from http://gurkhajustice.spreadshirt.net - every item sold
from this online shop will make the campaign a small profit which will
be used to further promote the cause.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:28 on 18th October 2008

You beat me to it Lyn B but as you notice mine is now history!

Thanks for all your support folks...Ron

quote | editPosted at 09:34 on 18th October 2008
Morning Ron and sorry lol Lyn beat me posting the last update so thought I would try to get in first this time, though as long as one of us posts it that's the main thing.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:27 on 18th October 2008
Yeah absolutely Lyn!
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 18:12 on 18th October 2008
It's nice to know that the campaign is going so well.  But can I urge anyone living in the UK to pop along and sign the petition!  Every name added helps reinforce the message being sent to this deaf government - and they do say theat 'there's none so deaf as those who will not hear!'  Let's all shout for justice for these brave soldiers who have done so much for Great Britain!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:31 on 25th October 2008
Dear Friend,

Just a quick note to again thank you for your support and update you on the Gurkha Justice Campaign - www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

With over 80,000 signatures and rising, we are still getting thousands of new supporters every day. We're still working to get the message out about the campaign - last week Al Murray gave us a tremendous boost on his show Al Murray's Happy Hour.

If you haven't already done so, PLEASE pass on our need for signatures to everyone you know and ask them to do likewise. Please send it to your address book. We really need this campaign to spread all across the country - like wild-fire.

This week I'm pleased to say there will be adverts in the next few days in a number of newspapers including the Daily Mail, Guardian and Telegraph promoting the campaign.

We've had some great stories from supporters across the country, from people collecting signatures at car boot sales and street stalls, to people putting links on their web sites and telling all their friends - it is making a big difference. Thank you so much to all those who have written and emailed - there are so many we simply can't reply to all of them personally, so please forgive us. I PROMISE they are being read and appreciated.

The huge number of messages of support and offers of help have been fantastic, but we still really need more help. If possible, can you can help us get the message out in the following ways:

1. If you have a blog, web site, Facebook page or similar, please put a message about www.gurkhajustice.org.uk encouraging people to sign the petition. You could also post a message in any discussion forums you use online.

2. Print out the form at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/gurkha_campaign_petition_form.pdf and get friends and family to sign. Please make sure you return it to us by 16th November.

3. Pass the message to as many people as you can. Whether you forward this email to your contact list, give people a call, or write a letter to your local paper to ask others to sign the petition at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk - we really need your help.

A great example of one supporter promoting our site is a video we saw on YouTube last week. We found it extremely moving. See what you think at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPvmPdDzYc

Finally, a very special date for your diary - 20th November. There will be more details soon, but we will be handing in the Gurkha Justice petition to Downing Street on that day. Some special guests and I will be meeting in Parliament Square at around 11am. Anyone who can come along to join us and show their support for the Gurkhas campaign in person on that day will be most welcome.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

PS. We've sold hundreds of Gurkha Justice t-shirts and sweatshirts at our online shop http://gurkhajustice.spreadshirt.net

Thank you to all those who have bought them - I hope you are wearing them with as much pride as I do mine, and helping spread the message about the campaign.
L
L
quotePosted at 13:50 on 25th October 2008
I was just about to post this too Ron, you beat me to it