Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Memorial stone.

Spalding

in the county of Lincolnshire

A view of Reedham

Reedham

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

North South Distances?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Rutledge Webb, Jr.
Rutledge Webb, Jr.
quotePosted at 21:28 on 31st May 2008

What is the North South distance in miles from the Channel to the Scottish Border and the the distance from the Channel to the Northernmost point in Scotland?

I've also heard that no part of England is more than 1.5hr drive to a coast.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Jo Adams
Jo Adams
quotePosted at 21:39 on 31st May 2008
According to Wikipedia the straight line distance from Land's End in Cornwall (SW of England) to John O'Groats Scotland is 603 miles. The distance by road is 874 miles.  Dunnet Head, about two miles from John O'Groats, is the most northerly point of Scotland.
L
L
quotePosted at 21:40 on 31st May 2008
I have no idea Rutledge, but I live in Bedfordshire, just a bit south of  Northampton which  is the centre of the UK and it takes longer than 1.5hours from here with roads we have, more like 2 hours if your lucky to the east coast on a road that carries too much heavy traffic from the Docks (HGV's etc) and one that isnt wide enough in places to overtake. It may take 1.5hours as the crow flies but not on our roads! LOL
L
L
quotePosted at 21:42 on 31st May 2008
Hi Jo, I dont know if I've welcomed you before to this madhouse lol join in the fun!
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 22:05 on 31st May 2008
Lands End to John O' Groats is precisely 838 miles by road Rutledge. On a good day, with no traffic (good luck with that!) it takes a little over 16 hours driving.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:29 on 31st May 2008

Hi Jo:  Nice to meet you.  Great info.

Hi Rutledge:  It's an eye opener, driving over there, as I'm sure you've found out.  The maps can be very deceiving, because for us, we're used to the interstates with the 75MPH speed limits, so we figure we can be 40 miles in 30 minutes. From my ltd. experience, that's definitely not the case over there.  As for traffic, I suppose it's like here, gridlock around the major metro areas.  If you're in a hurry, I think you want to stick to the M roads (AKA dual carriageways - I love that term!).  But if you're not in a hurry, take the small A and B roads and enjoy the scenery.  You even get used to the roundabouts after a while.

Jo Adams
Jo Adams
quotePosted at 22:59 on 31st May 2008

Hi Everyone

First of all, thank you for the welcome - it's my first time on the forum although I've been adding photographs for a while now. 

Andy I see your figure is different to mine - you must have found a shorter short-cut than whoever tries it out for Wikipedia!  Who's going to drive it to check?

I've just checked on my SatNav from John O'Groats to Sennen where the A30 meets the B3315 and it says 829 miles.  So take your pick Rutledge! 

Rutledge Webb, Jr.
Rutledge Webb, Jr.
quotePosted at 23:43 on 31st May 2008

Thanks for the replies. Never thought to look in wiki.

We drove from York to London on some of the smaller roads for awhile and it took forever. 

Our  driver told us when he was driving us to Gatwick that the ring road was 200 miles around London.

It seemed like he was exaggerating a little.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 00:26 on 1st June 2008

Hi Jo, welcome to the POE forum and site. Pleased to meat you. If you are a little mad, then you have come to the right place, we are all mad here.

Rutledge, I think your driver was right about the distance around the M25, Londons great orbital and largest car park in the UK. It may as well be a car park, traffic moves so slow most of the time, its almost like being parked up. Maybe not quite 200 miles, but not far short of it though.

Rutledge Webb, Jr.
Rutledge Webb, Jr.
quotePosted at 20:29 on 1st June 2008

Peter,

Are there any nice, quaint towns within the M25 that are appealing for a buyer?

My wife and I at some point in the next 5 years would like to buy something in England.

or should we go outside of it the M25? We would like to be somewhat close to London. Not more than 50 miles.

Something that would have the advantages of shopping in a larger town/city,etc.

1 2 3 4 Next >